Ellipticals!

Options
Hi there everyone,

I used to go to the gym and loved the elliptical. I moved to an area that doesn't have a gym near more, nor do I really have any friends to hitch a ride from.

So I was thinking of buying an elliptical.

I liked the elliptical because my knees didn't hurt near as much after the treadmill, or my walking from work and back. I have noticed now that I've started running that my knees and hips hurt, and I feel like if I get an elliptical it probably won't hurt as much.

Anyone have any recommendations, even if it's not an elliptical would love suggestions.

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If running is your thing and you can't ... an elliptical is a great option ... personally I ride a bike, I hate to run. I've heard people say that buying an elliptical, treadmill, or a spin bike is just buying an expensive clothes rack. That can be true if you don't use it regularly. I have so many friends and family that have a treadmill in some corner of their house and it is covered up with stuff. So I get why people say that. I wanted a spin bike for years before I bought one, because I thought I would be like everyone else I know. It has not been the case. I use it regularly. So like I said if running is your thing, you'll probably like the elliptical.

I also recommend that you set up a special place for it. Don't make the mistake of putting it in your bedroom ... if you do that you will use it for a clothes rack. Most people I know have either put it in their bedroom or in their living room, neither worked for them. So I set up my spin bike in my basement and I have even continued to extend my workout area there and have pretty much a gym down there now. I use a computer with speakers for music and workout DVD's. So I can workout when I want to and not be disturbing anyone.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Affordable ones are at Sears .. that's where mine came from.
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do love to run! And before I started really working on it, I had bought a treadmill, and it was an expensive clothes rack. A year or so back I tried to buy a bike, but I honestly didn't like it at all. So it ended up being a clothes rack as well.

I run every day now, but to not get horribly over heated I have to get up and run at 6 and now there are buses and random children all up and down my road I run on, which is not fun!

For now it probably will be in the living room, until I get a room cleaned out for it, but that would be considered a "special place" since I don't spend much time in the living room.

I'm sure it'll work out this time, because my fiance will poke me and say get to work :P

And I will look at sears, see if I can find anything there thanks!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Don't buy an elliptical- you'll outgrow it eventually. Are you sure there's no gyms?

OK, if you do buy an elliptical, buy it used off craigslist (or similar). Someone else will be selling their elliptical they don't use at a fraction of what you'll pay new.
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    "Don't buy an elliptical- you'll outgrow it eventually. Are you sure there's no gyms?

OK, if you do buy an elliptical, buy it used off craigslist (or similar). Someone else will be selling their elliptical they don't use at a fraction of what you'll pay new."

How come? I live in a really small town, The closest gym is in the next town over and I don't' drive, so I would have to get someone to take me, which I'm not going to do.

What do you mean "Outgrow?"
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    "Don't buy an elliptical- you'll outgrow it eventually. Are you sure there's no gyms?

OK, if you do buy an elliptical, buy it used off craigslist (or similar). Someone else will be selling their elliptical they don't use at a fraction of what you'll pay new."

How come? I live in a really small town, The closest gym is in the next town over and I don't' drive, so I would have to get someone to take me, which I'm not going to do.

What do you mean "Outgrow?"

By outgrow, I mean in several months of daily use you'll get sick of it, bored, and end up with an expensive piece of equipment that you dread using.

I do understand though that if you can't get to the gym, you want options at home. So, see what you can find on craigslist- used fitness equipment is often in almost-new condition.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you do buy new, look at the Smooth models. Ours is surprisingly compact and has been flawless for the last few years despite the relatively cheap price. I don't particularly enjoy cardio but it's nice to have something in the basement that's low impact and you can't make weather excuses about it either.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I've used my elliptical everyday for about a yr... I have a Schwinn model I got from Amazon(free delivery:) Craigslist can be nice but be careful too... Before deciding to spend the extra $$ on a new one, I got one on CL and the next day it broke so I was SOL and out $100.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't use mine all the time, but I like having to throw into the mix because I am always changing up my activities. I also like to use it when I am watching a movie because I hate just sitting lol. I have the Proform 6.0 ZE Elliptical and I have had no problems with it at all, had it over a year.
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    If you do buy new, look at the Smooth models. Ours is surprisingly compact and has been flawless for the last few years despite the relatively cheap price. I don't particularly enjoy cardio but it's nice to have something in the basement that's low impact and you can't make weather excuses about it either.

I will go check those out now!
    I've used my elliptical everyday for about a yr... I have a Schwinn model I got from Amazon(free delivery:) Craigslist can be nice but be careful too... Before deciding to spend the extra $$ on a new one, I got one on CL and the next day it broke so I was SOL and out $100.

I was actually just looking at a Schwinn on amazon, because I got prime free for a month and so it would come with free shipping! I don't like buying things through Craigslist because there is no guarantee, no warranty, nothing. Would rather have something I could return! Also that's what I Like to hear, no problems after a whole year of using everyday.
    I don't use mine all the time, but I like having to throw into the mix because I am always changing up my activities. I also like to use it when I am watching a movie because I hate just sitting lol. I have the Proform 6.0 ZE Elliptical and I have had no problems with it at all, had it over a year.

That's nice, how often do you use it?
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    That's cool! I ended up getting the Schwinn 431... And it's not just light use everyday, it's usually intense min. 90min workouts. I decided on Schwinn because before I got my elliptical I got a Schwinn exercise bike and it came damaged so I called and the customer service was great and they sent me a new one right away. I saw a lot of other reviews saying they had great CS too so that's what was the major deciding factor for me. Hope whatever one you decide on works out great for you!! :)
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options
    Usually at least 3 times a week. I like variety in my workouts so it's useful. I think though if I could go back in time I would have chosen a treadmill instead though. My experience with the elliptical is different from most people. I actually get sore knees if I use it for too long. So I only use it for no longer than about 30 minutes. But I seem to be in a minority with that complaint, even my husband doesn't understand why it hurts my knees.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't see outgrowing my elliptical. Can it be boring? yes, but it's got enough programs and difficulty settings that it should last me a long time. I've had mine for about 18 months and use it anywhere from 2-5 times a week. I set it up in my family room facing the TV, so I'll put on an on demand or something I dvr'd and watch a show while I work out.
  • AmbyrJayde
    Options
    I don't see outgrowing my elliptical. Can it be boring? yes, but it's got enough programs and difficulty settings that it should last me a long time. I've had mine for about 18 months and use it anywhere from 2-5 times a week. I set it up in my family room facing the TV, so I'll put on an on demand or something I dvr'd and watch a show while I work out.

I would think if I were gonna outgrow anything it would be exercise in general. I like being lazy, but I've been running like I'm supposed to so... I would do this better especially, like I said, since my Fiance is there to keep me from lazing about.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have had an elliptical for four years and use it at least three times per week. I use "Cardio Coach" guided workouts and never get bored. I like the elliptical because it is low impact. When I shopped for mine, I went to "DrTreadmill" website and read reviews of the various models. If you do decide to buy a used machine, they also rate used machines. For me, my health is worth paying for. So what if you buy an elliptical and decide you don't want to use it later - you can always sell it.
  • agirltoremember98
    Options
    I would definitely recommend an elliptical, but do not get a cheap one. They are expensive, but worth it. Really nice ones tell you how many cals you've burned and everything. I have one and love it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Don't buy an elliptical- you'll outgrow it eventually. Are you sure there's no gyms?

OK, if you do buy an elliptical, buy it used off craigslist (or similar). Someone else will be selling their elliptical they don't use at a fraction of what you'll pay new.

^This. I rarely use my elliptical anymore and my apt's gym has a treadmill. I wish I'd spent the money on a bench and weights :grumble:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend an elliptical, but do not get a cheap one. They are expensive, but worth it. Really nice ones tell you how many cals you've burned and everything. I have one and love it.

I would not recommend going off the machine cals burned unless it is syncing with an HRM. I found the burns on my elliptical and HRM are waaaayyy off. MFP calculates closer to my HRM than the machine!
  • Angeloftheshore
    Options

I would not recommend going off the machine cals burned unless it is syncing with an HRM. I found the burns on my elliptical and HRM are waaaayyy off. MFP calculates closer to my HRM than the machine!

I completely agree with this!
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options

^ This! I am not bored of it at all. I set up a tablet mount so I can watch movies, listen to music etc. So much easier on my bad knee than the treadmill.