What is my next step?

Options
Question for all of you who are wiser than me (so most of you lol)...

I'm getting really close to my goal weight (5 pounds), and yet I'm really far from the body that I want (stubborn belly fat is the biggest issue).

I'm down to a size 4, which I'm perfectly happy with (I never wanted to be a size 0!)....but my stomach is still very flabby and it's making me really frustrated.

I eat approximately 1450 calories per day: 40% protein, 30% carbs & 30% fat.

I get in cardio 4-5 days per week and strength training 3 days per week.

So, I'm trying to figure out what my next step is. Do I adjust my goal weight and go lower? Or is there something I need to be doing to maintain the weight I'm at but continue burning fat? (Is that even possible?) I keep reading that you can't build muscle at a deficit, but I don't see how I can lose fat when I'm not in a deficit...

Any ideas would be awesome! Please keep in mind that weights are fine, but I am still not allowed to lift heavy because of health issues.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Wait, weights are fine, but not HEAVY weights? I'm confused...what type of weights are you lifting, if they're not heavy? What type of results could you possibly hope to get, if you're not (or are unable, in your case) to really push your muscles to get stronger? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you... =/
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A bodyweight goal is arbitrary (Ever heard the term "Don't focus on the scale?" It works both ways). If you're not as lean as you want to be, you need to continue to lose weight.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me doing a lot of body weight exercises. Other than that, I'm doing the regular weight machines and some free weights, but I can't really get over 30 pounds on each side on the machines or over 15 pounds in dumbbells...so I'm lifting some weight, but it's not what I consider exactly "heavy".

I have Lyme and have had a stroke, so my left side is weak which means I have to either keep the weights light or stick to exercises where I can work out each side individually.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    forget the body recomposition stuff (adding muscle while losing fat). that's too hard and too slow. when you get to your goal weight, you will need to start bulking and cutting to get the body you want. that might only be a couple of iterations of each, or it may take longer.

once you start bulking and cutting, you may find that your goal weight stops being relevant and your BF% becomes most important to you.
  • Lankylass1969
    Options
    You might have to consider excepting your self the way you are and living with that slightly flabby stomach. It is normal for women to hold some fat there, most women are not supermodels!
  • Vain_Witch
    Options
    forget the body recomposition stuff (adding muscle while losing fat). that's too hard and too slow. when you get to goal, you will need to start bulking and cutting to get the body you want. that might only be a couple of iterations of each, or it may take longer.

I was wondering if this was going to be the next step. Is there a bulking for dummies book, because I have no idea how to even begin a bulk.

After being at this for so long you'd think I would have picked this information up already, but I've been so focused on losing that I never paid attention to the bulking threads...lol
  • Vain_Witch
    Options
    I've already been watching my body fat percentage for about 6 months...so far I've made it from 39.5% to 27%...Someone told me ideally I should be around 23%?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    forget the body recomposition stuff (adding muscle while losing fat). that's too hard and too slow. when you get to your goal weight, you will need to start bulking and cutting to get the body you want. that might only be a couple of iterations of each, or it may take longer.

once you start bulking and cutting, you may find that your goal weight stops being relevant and your BF% becomes most important to you.

I was wondering if this was going to be the next step. Is there a bulking for dummies book, because I have no idea how to even begin a bulk.

After being at this for so long you'd think I would have picked this information up already, but I've been so focused on losing that I never paid attention to the bulking threads...lol

go to the Eat Train Progress group. you'll find some threads in there, but even better... you'll find knowledgeable and helpful people who can answer your questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

might not be a bad idea to start lurking at bodybuilding.com as well. just beware of the broscience.
  • Vain_Witch
    Options

go to the Eat Train Progress group. you'll find some threads in there, but even better... you'll find knowledgeable and helpful people who can answer your questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

might not be a bad idea to start lurking at bodybuilding.com as well. just beware of the broscience.

Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I really like lifting, and my trainer emphasizes form over weight. He has illustrated for me how you can curl 100 lbs and really do nothing (bad form) and curl ZERO lbs and get definition (good form). It's very much about the form, so if you are lifting 15-30 lbs, make sure you are REALLY using the intended muscles. Add in some isometrics and plyometrics and you will get more definition. My feeling is that heavier weights are going to get you there faster, but your alternative is lighter weights and more reps.