Migraines caused by exercise?

Options
Hi everyone...

I've never posted in a forum before, but I've been having some trouble and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same...

I started running a few weeks ago, and it makes me so pumped when I can run/walk far beyond what I thought I could, and I feel so great afterwards, albeit tired and a little sore. I also see a trainer once a week, who works me hard, but it too is great and makes me feel awesome.

The problem is... I've been suffering a lot of migraines and bad headaches lately, which prevent me from doing my workouts as I hope to. Does anyone know why this would be happening in conjunction with working out more and watching what I'm eating?

It really gets me down... all I want to do is sleep when this happens, and sometimes I have headaches for days on end. :( Clearly, that equals a lot less exercise than I want to do.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yup, the kind that make you vomit and want to eat a bullet.

My personal solution was: Reduce and almost completely cut out wheat.
    Supplement magnesium, daily. (I'm at an extra 750mg of Mg daily.

Solved.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Keep a headache diary. When you get it, how long it lasts, if you are also logging food and exercise take that all into your doctors office.
    Are you taking any kind of painkillers and do they do anything? I get migraines and regular painkillers do not work - I get a prescription.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Be sure u drink before, during and after.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice... I'll try all of this!
  • MissBenes
    Options
    Hi everyone...

I've never posted in a forum before, but I've been having some trouble and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same...

I started running a few weeks ago, and it makes me so pumped when I can run/walk far beyond what I thought I could, and I feel so great afterwards, albeit tired and a little sore. I also see a trainer once a week, who works me hard, but it too is great and makes me feel awesome.

The problem is... I've been suffering a lot of migraines and bad headaches lately, which prevent me from doing my workouts as I hope to. Does anyone know why this would be happening in conjunction with working out more and watching what I'm eating?

It really gets me down... all I want to do is sleep when this happens, and sometimes I have headaches for days on end. :( Clearly, that equals a lot less exercise than I want to do.

Go see a doctor - maybe your problem is something that can easily be solved with more liquid or supplements, but if it's migraine, you need a little more than that.
    Don't **** around with Internet advice on health matters, sometimes it can do you more damage than good. People have good intentions, but doctors have medical knowledge and they can examine what's going on the way we can't.
  • WonderWhitney11
    Options
    Thanks. I do have a doctor appointment set up for two weeks from now, so I'll be sure to bring all this up. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I do have a doctor appointment set up for two weeks from now, so I'll be sure to bring all this up. :)

Make sure it's a neuro and not a doctor. My doctor couldn't do anything, but when I met with a neuro he at least suggested magnesium, and gave me a script for zomig. (Which zomig doesn't work.)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Could be as simple as not eating and drinking enough, most of the time it's what it is
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching after your workouts? I know that I can trigger tension migraines the next day if I don't stretch out my lower back and shoulders after an intense workout.
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I get really bad headaches when my neck muscles are tight and start pulling on the nerves. Especially after shoulder and back workouts. Could b the same with running? Are you sore?
  • WonderWhitney11
    Options
    I do get a bit sore in my lower back after running. I could do more stretching afterwards I guess- couldn't hurt.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    exercise didn't necessary trigger my migraines, but nothing helped them until i say a neuro and was prescribed immitrex. i have had maybe one migraine this year since focusing on clean eating and exercising - down from multiple migraines every month.