Failure tastes like - donuts and cake?

Options
Why am I helpless when people bring in cake and donuts to work? On Friday I had both and was so mad at myself afterwards that I was miserable over the weekend. Any good strategy advise? I feel like I'm so up and down with my willpower!

Replies

• clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers a couple of years ago and when people brought stuff like that it, I would think about how many points were in them and how it would take me over my allowance. Now I log on MFP, I think about how it would take me over my calorie allowance and how bad I'll feel when I see that negative figure on the screen at the end of the day.

Don't know if that's any help but it works for me!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Best strategy I've found: indulge a little, then exercise a little more. Sometimes I resist, sometimes I don't. It's okay. Calories can be burned off (within reason, of course).
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can always make up for it the next day. Remember to think in terms of weekly calories, not daily. There are days I end up red, but there are days I'm well into the green too. It all evens out.

If I have a piece of cake or some other treat, and there's no way I can exercise it off or make up for it that day, I just eat a little less the next day and/or exercise another 30 minutes, or whatever... you get the idea. :)

As for the willpower, maybe tell yourself you can have one small piece of cake, or half a donut, and then cut it into little pieces and try to eat them over the course of 15 minutes. Really, truly enjoy it.

Also, out of sight, out of mind. If the cake/donuts are put near your desk, see if they can be moved to another area.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    YOLO
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP I WANTA KNOW TOO! MINE IS PEPSI AND CHOCOLATE, IF ANYONE DRINKS A POP OR EATS CANDY AROUND ME I WANT ONE TOO,
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Best strategy I've found: indulge a little, then exercise a little more. Sometimes I resist, sometimes I don't. It's okay. Calories can be burned off (within reason, of course).

This. Or just make it fit. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP I WANTA KNOW TOO! MINE IS PEPSI AND CHOCOLATE, IF ANYONE DRINKS A POP OR EATS CANDY AROUND ME I WANT ONE TOO,

I USE TO BE NOTHING BUT A SWEET EATER OR STARCHES (BREAD,PASTA, POTATOES, BEANS, ETC) BUT AFTER ABSTAINING AWAY FROM THEM AND CUTTING THE STARCHES AND SUGAR THAT HAS GONE AWAY. IT WASN'T EASY. HOWEVER MY PROBLEM IS PEPSI (WAS A PEPSI HOLIC FOR 40 YRS) AND OF COURSE CHOCOLATE. NOW WHEN I WANT A PEPSI I MADE A DEAL WITH MY SELF TO DRINK 16 OZ OF WATER FIRST WAIT TEN MIN AND IF I STILL WANT IT I TAKE A SIP. AND I ALLOW MYSELF A TINY BIT OF CHOCOLATE IN THE EVENING, 10 CHOCOLATE CHIPS, OR SQUARE OF DARK CHOCOLATE ETC.... IN YOUR CASE WHAT I WOULD DO IS JUST STAY AWAY FROM THAT AREA, OR BRING YOUR OWN HEALTHY SNACK BAR, AND EAT THAT INSTEAD. MAYBE TALK TO YOUR CO WORKERS TELL THEM THE STRUGGLE YOUR HAVING AND ASK FOR THEIR HELP, PEOPLE LOVE TO HELP. OR MAYBE SET AN EXAMPLE AND BRING IN A HEALTHY SNACK TO SHARE INSTEAD, THAT YOU ENJOY. OR GO FOR A WALK. YOU COULD TALK TO MANAGEMENT OR YOUR CO WORKERS AND START A STAYING HEALTHY GROUP, I KNOW A LOT OF COMPANY'S ARE DOING THAT EVEN THE "SKINNYS" ..HEALTHY SNACKS, COUNTING STEPS, WALKING AT LUNCH. HOPE THIS HELPS, XXX GG..
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Here's why - because you forbid these things for yourself. They are taboo. And you never, ever, ever, buy them, or partake on your own... so they have a stigma with them to where if they are around, they are extremely tempting. And you rationalize that, since you never, ever, ever have them on your own... you'll just have a slice, or 1 donut... and one more won't hurt...

I would suggest allowing these foods in your life. I'm not saying eat them every day, but if you are craving one, log it ahead of time and then adjust with exercise and diet to compensate. That way if a donut pops up at work, it's easier to say "no, thank you" because you give yourself permission to have them in general. They are no longer taboo.

All in all, they're just another brick in the wall.
  • totallydelirious
    Options
    Plan them into your calorie allowance.
    Plan a tiny indulgence in.
    Think right i will set aside 100calories for junk food at work - have an idea of what amount of calories are in what food, so it might be you have have 1/2 donut, or a 1"cube of brownie, and enjoy it.
    If no-one brings anything in? well, you have a 100 calories that you can have as a yogurt or something when you get home instead.