Fasting Cardio

Options
Does it work for you?

I run either before breakfast or last thing after my night shift about an hour before bed. Anytime I run I have a recovery shake after.

If i run mid day or within a couple hours of a meal my times get slower and i feel liked crap.

What about you?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My favourite time to run is around 5:00AM; roll out of bead, slam down a cup of coffee & out the door (my mid-week runs are around 10km) Same with my rowing.

If I'm running more than 90 minutes I'll usually have something to eat and wait a couple of hours.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Used to do cardio in 2009, then realized I don't need it to lose weight so stopped, never done it since.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I normally run first thing in the morning before I've eaten. I only run 3 to 4 miles and then come home, eat lightly, then in a few hours have my normal meal. That works great for me and I feel good throughout. Last Saturday I needed to do errands first and didn't get running until 9:30 or 10 am. I really felt the lack of energy. So if I don't run immediately it appears that I need to eat, do errands, and then run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Used to do cardio in 2009, then realized I don't need it to lose weight so stopped, never done it since.

You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight. And your point is?
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

lol good for you

That wasn't the question though

And not everyone runs to lose weight. Some people run because it's good for their health and they enjoy it

But thanks for your valuable input :drinker:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "does it work for you"?

Does it help me lose weight?
    Yea, especially when my diet isn't what it should be. But the difference between fasted and "fed" cardio is pretty negligible.

Do I perform better fasted?
    No. Well, at least not when I'm eating like I should. Sometimes fasted workouts are better than working out loaded down by ****ty food. But generally speaking I do better when fed. If I'm getting up early to workout (either before work or a race), I don't generally eat before hand (my body doesn't respond well to food that early), but I generally need to get something in my fairly quickly.

Does it help me with stress?
    Damn right it does. This is probably the biggest benefit cardio has for me.

Does it help me get ready for races?
    Yep. Nothing helps my running like running, and nothing helps my biking like riding.

• lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Does it work for you?

I run either before breakfast or last thing after my night shift about an hour before bed. Anytime I run I have a recovery shake after.

If i run mid day or within a couple hours of a meal my times get slower and i feel liked crap.

What about you?

I'm the opposite. I can't run hungry, makes me feel sick. I usually run late morning, 2-3 hours after breakfast. You must be hardcore :laugh:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For me it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference for moderately paced runs. Last week I ran 15 miles, walked 7, and lifted weights after not eating for 18 hours and I felt great and had an outstanding run. The only problem was that by the time I was finished it was 5pm and I couldn't eat the 4500 calories needed to break even for the day and ended up with about minus 2000.
  • Maliberri
    Options
    I run a lot better on an empty stomach but sometimes when I do I come home feeling like I should eat everything
  • csnyder0007
    csnyder0007 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    K, so I'm not alone. Cool.

I run to live and to perform better at work and because i like it. :)