No longer obese

Options
So, according to my weight/height number, I am now crossing over the line from "obese" to "overweight." I am feeling much better (still more to go!) but I was looking for some information regarding which health problems I am no longer at risk for. All I can find is things that say "overweight or obese." Surely losing that much weight has some benefit! It would be encouraging to know the scientific significance of this threshold.

Thanks!

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations!! That is a SUPER accomplishment! I found this:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Obesity_vs_Overweight

Hope it helps! :flowerforyou:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to get a baseline physical before you started? I'd guess you would see improvements in your blood work like cholesterol, glucose, BP, etc. The thing with risk is that it never goes to zero no matter where you are on the weight table. But, getting out of "obese" is still a great milestone to pass on the way to green. I hope to join you soon.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So, according to my weight/height number, I am now crossing over the line from "obese" to "overweight." I am feeling much better (still more to go!) but I was looking for some information regarding which health problems I am no longer at risk for. All I can find is things that say "overweight or obese." Surely losing that much weight has some benefit! It would be encouraging to know the scientific significance of this threshold.

Thanks!
    Congrats!!! I'm not sure if there is going to be a ton of difference on the margins, but overweight category has the best mortality rates, I believe, and I've heard losing even 10 pounds will make you healthier. So brava!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    congratulations! cannot wait for that to happen to me
  • Pollyanna75
    Options
    That is great!!

I'm in the same boat. According to my BMI, I have also just moved from "obese" to "overweight". Isn't it a great feeling?
    It is quite an accomplishment and keep up the good work :-)
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options
    That's so empowering! Great job! I hope you reach your goal! Congrats! :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Losing even 10% of your body weight reduces your blood pressure, insulin levels and risk for high cholesterol.

Exercising regularly helps your BP and your heart health.

It is all a win!

P.S. you should get some tests done. Before and after on cholesterol, resting pulse, blood pressure, blood sugar, and triglycerides are a good start.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • montgomm01
    montgomm01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Well done!
  • Practicality
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all the support everyone!
  • halffull_pgh
    Options
    Good for you!

Seeing the topic of your post lead me to looking at a BMI calculator and though I am still in the obese range I hope to join you soon! Looking at myself in the mirror and having to accept that I have failed myself so much that I am, and have been for some time, obese. Such a reality check. Thanks for being an inspiration.