Beer drinkers - Help me out!

Options
I love beer, which is one of the many, many ways I ended up overweight. When I'm home for an evening, I don't have a problem avoiding a beer, but once I'm out with my friends or at someone's house and everyone else is enjoying delicious hoppy goodness, I cave and usually end up over-indulging.

Any advice for those nights out when my will-power is nill?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise a lot the day of these types of occasions and maybe even gather some extra calories to bank earlier in the week so I can indulge while still netting pretty close to my goal calories.

Life happens, we can't just restrict ourselves all the time, that would make me super miserable. I pretty much only drink IPAs, and they don't come in "low calorie" form. =) If I go over my calories, I just have a maintenance day and move on, I have never once felt like I "ruined" anything.
  • Ben_Avery
    Ben_Avery Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tell your friends you are trying to sort out your health and your off the booze for a while. Grab a diet coke so you still have something and enjoy.
    I'd never stop drinking if it was an option, but weight loss and beer just don't mix. You'll be amazed how quickly you drop weight without beer.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I always just plan for it and will have a few days under my calorie goal and make sure I exercise before I go out. I will end up usually over maintenance on those days, but will even out for the week.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm forcing myself in to beer abstinance for the next few weeks, which will be super hard, as I love a good beer! Especially with football season coming up.

You just have to figure it in to your daily calorie count, and remember moderation. Try to avoid over-indulgence, and just plan ahead,. Save enough calories in the day to have beers while you are out with friends and always alternate with a full glass of water inbetween!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy beer (and wine, and mixed drinks!)! At home, just having one with dinner is no problem. In a social setting, I try to make sure I have a glass of water in between each beer/cocktail/glass.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Drink heavy beers. A russian imperial stout will be tough to casually chug. More of a sipper.

Account for the calories like anything else. Adjust intake and exercise to make up for the drinking sessions.

Don't go out or have a little willpower from time to time?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I enjoy all my liquor...

I choose light beer or a low calorie one like Molsen 67 (67 calories yah)
    Vodka is great to in Soda water with water squirt
    I have been enjoying premixed Long island iced tea lately..100 calories a pop...so worth the leisurly swim i have to do for an hour...oh nooooooooooooooooo...hehehe
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Drink heavy beers. A russian imperial stout will be tough to casually chug. More of a sipper.

Account for the calories like anything else. Adjust intake and exercise to make up for the drinking sessions.

Don't go out or have a little willpower from time to time?

this
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I tend to plan for it. That said, if you don't have enough control, then maybe just take it as a "cheat" meal and just move on or work out a bit more the next day?