Is it best to use sedentary and add all exercise calories?

Options
Hello there,
I'm currently back using MFP and sticking to tracking everything. One thing that i'm confused with is what to put as my activity level on my settings page. I'm currently using lightly active as my job is very varied, i'm a countryside warden so some days i'm run off my feet and don't sit down but others are less active, (although I do a lot of walking everyday). Now is it best for me to put my activity level as sedentary and log my work calories separately (i.e, walking 2 hours etc, manual work 2 hours) like I do for my actual after work exercise? I don't know how many calories it takes into account when it calculates my daily allowance. I currently weigh 62kg and i'm 5.4, I'm not overweight as such anymore but my legs need some serious toning and I need to lose fat around that area - it is taking me a long time to get the there, MFP calculates my allowance to be 1200 cals and at the moment I log the things I do at work separately but maybe I shouldn't be doing that? I also eat most of my exercise calories back. On top of work I work out 4-5 times a week as well as cycling 6 miles to work (and 6 back). I try to mix my exercise up, HIIT cardio, spinning, yoga, circuits, insanity type workouts and such like.

Basically is it best to change my level to sedentary and log everything I expend in a day?
Appreciate your help. :-)

Replies

• ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Choose sedentary and set your weight loss goals at 1 pound/week instead of two. Get a pedometer (Fitbit, Jawbone Up, Nike Flex, etc.) and then track your activity that way. Its always best to err on the side of caution.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To get more information look up your BMR (basal metabolic rate) .... calories your body uses if you stayed in bed all day. Also, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

Many people here on MFP choose to use TDEE less a % ...... that way the whole exercise thing is not an issue because the exercise calories are already included.

Even if you don't choose this method .... it's very informative......you can plug in different scenarios.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • MissNix007
    MissNix007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. My BMR is 1387 but I must admit I struggle to get to grips with TDEE, because everyday is different for me therefore it would vary quite a lot?
  • MissNix007
    MissNix007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok, it says using your calculator that my TDEE is 2144 so I guess if I eat 500 cals less a day which i'm doing I should continue to lose steady, as long as i'm good most of the time!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok, it says using your calculator that my TDEE is 2144 so I guess if I eat 500 cals less a day which i'm doing I should continue to lose steady, as long as i'm good most of the time!

Yes - that sounds good. TDEE just evens things out, instead of a day to day thing. If you want to "log" workouts in MFP, many people choose to over ride calories burned to 1 .....because TDEE has taken care of them up front.