1 month in feeling really down

Options
I have been doing this for just about 4 weeks now. I am losing weight at about what my goals are even a little faster, but I am so depressed for no reason. I just feel tired and not wanting to really do anything. Way grumpy. Feels like it is getting worse not better.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Are you eating and drinking enough?
    ETA-are you eating a balanced diet?
    If you are breast feeding you need to eat and drink more.
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options
    I am in the same spot. I don't have a clue what it could be other than stressing about how I don't lose weight as fast as I'd like. Are you taking any vitamins? I hear they can help balance out your hormones.
  • afrodan
    afrodan Posts: 4
    Options
    are you exercising or just changing your eating? Ive always found that if I just reduce calories then i end up feeling rubbish and lethargic, however if I exercise too i feel pumped and get the endorphins rush to be bouncy and happy. Working out really early works for me, means im tired at night and leaves me buzzed for the whole day :)
  • depresseddancer
    depresseddancer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First of all, have a big hug, flying through the air from London. Although I'm through the worst of my depression I really struggle with low mood too, and I tend to eat to make it better. Then I put on weight and feel worse.

The thing that helps me most is exercise. I don't want to exercise when I feel grim, but it releases a lot of lovely endorphins into the body, that leave a warm, fuzzy glow inside. I try to choose things I enjoy - dancing, salsa round the lounge, even a bit of hairbrush singing in the mirror helps.

If that doesn't work, maybe it's something deeper? I don't keep scales in the house, but I know I'm losing weight and my body is changing. I thought weight loss would make me feel sexy and confident again, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick, it wasn't magic. I'm realising that sometimes when I feel fat what I really mean is 'I feel unacceptable' or 'I'm anxious about xxx'.

Our relationship with our bodies and food is such an emotional thing, and you're in the process of changing, it's normal to feel nervous, a bit sad or worries about letting go of your old identity, and yet still excited about the new one.

I'm not sure if any of that helps, but I wanted you to know that someone out there is hearing you, and trying to understand. I hope it works out, good luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

If that doesn't work, maybe it's something deeper? I don't keep scales in the house, but I know I'm losing weight and my body is changing. I thought weight loss would make me feel sexy and confident again, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick, it wasn't magic. I'm realising that sometimes when I feel fat what I really mean is 'I feel unacceptable' or 'I'm anxious about xxx'.

Our relationship with our bodies and food is such an emotional thing, and you're in the process of changing, it's normal to feel nervous, a bit sad or worries about letting go of your old identity, and yet still excited about the new one.

I'm not sure if any of that helps, but I wanted you to know that someone out there is hearing you, and trying to understand. I hope it works out, good luck!

Very wise words.
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I get this way when I'm not getting enough protein Or enough calories.
    Not saying that's your issue, but i can always tell it is the case for me.

I hope you feel better! I know it's NOT fun feeling like that!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    feel better!
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I get this way too. Very low, very depressed. Yesterday I was watching some TV show and burst out crying because the girl who was on it is so gorgeous...Ya....Im a crazy pants.

BUT on a more reasonable level, I find even though Im making tons of progress Im still unhappy. I have a long way to go and somedays it seems endless. Lately Ive only had these moods every once and a while, but sometimes they totally catch me off guard. I like to exersize to get out of the slump, or a horror movie night....depends on how bad my mood is. Haha.

I hope you find something to pull you out of it. Add me if you want, we are all in this together!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well, nine pounds is quite a lot for a month, so great job first of all! Maybe you should seek professional medical advice about depression, I just learned about a mild form called dysthymia: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dysthymia/DS01111
    *Dysthymia (dis-THIE-me-uh) is a mild but long-term (chronic) form of depression. Symptoms usually last for at least two years, and often for much longer than that. Dysthymia interferes with your ability to function and enjoy life.

With dysthymia, you may lose interest in normal daily activities, feel hopeless, lack productivity, and have low self-esteem and an overall feeling of inadequacy. People with dysthymia are often thought of as being overly critical, constantly complaining and incapable of having fun.

I like other people's comments, make sure you're getting enough calories, nutrition, and exercise and if it continues, please seek some professional help. =)
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you open your dairy we may be able to give you better advice. That is if you are logging properly.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    are you exercising or just changing your eating? Ive always found that if I just reduce calories then i end up feeling rubbish and lethargic, however if I exercise too i feel pumped and get the endorphins rush to be bouncy and happy. Working out really early works for me, means im tired at night and leaves me buzzed for the whole day :)

this
  • elizabethgriebel
    Options
    First off, great job losing so much in 1 month! You will have to share a little more info for any helpful advice though. Your eating habits are important - from how many calories you eat, how often you eat, to what you are eating. It's also important to know what exercise you are doing.

It is healthy to lose 2 pounds a week, so don't worry about your current results, because you are losing weight at a HEALTHY rate. I find that the 3rd-4th week of a new routine is the hardest to get through mentally. If you push yourself and work through it, you will probably feel much better within a week or two!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's odd, and you can take it or leave it if you don't believe, but I've heard emotional states can be stored in fat cells, and as the weight is coming off, you can feel the emotions you were feeling when you were gaining the weight. That the emotions are released as you release the fat.

Kinda new agey, but I can't say it's true or not true.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    No worries. I was like that my first 5 weeks and to be honest today I feel like that. It's simply because I haven't had that many carbs today. I've incorporated a new workout routine and changed my macros so that I do not eat over 100g of carbs which is rather low to be honest so with that comes a slight sense of depression.

Your body will adjust so don't feel bad. Hang in there.
  • gfiverson
    Options
    I have been plagued with this as well. After spending a lot of money with various doctors, the consensus was my circadian rhythm was out of sync. The best way to describe it is similar to a mammal going into hibernation. When you think about it, in the late summer, early autumn, there is an abundance of carbohydrate-rich food. Mammals bulk up on this as the days get shorter and eventually sleep most of the time, until the days get longer. Your challenge is to stay in "springtime mode", consume more protein like our ancestors did thousands of year ago, and fight that urge to sleep. I have found that getting out in the sunshine helps. Good luck.
  • Chzlvrsue
    Chzlvrsue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    See your primary care dr., do not put this off. It may just be that you're you're trying to lose too fast and your body is not getting the nutrients it needs to function properly. It may also be something more serious; depression is not something to be taken lightly. Talk to your doctor and let him know exactly how you're feeling. There are tests that can be run to rule out any underlying physical causes for depression. I am not trying to scare you, I just know how important it is to get help if it is depression.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I dont know about u, but i get grumpy when i feel deprived of something. Maybe balance some favorite foods in with ur diery type foods??
  • WestchesterKB
    WestchesterKB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling, I have felt the same way at times. For me its usually one of two things. 1. I might be eating to clean or too perfect and depriving myself of something i really like, either chocolate, a starch like a agel or maybe a big piece of protecin, like steak. 2. Not sure how much you are exercising but when I get fatigued after consecutive days of working out I feel similar to when i deprive myself of a pleasurable food. Some thoughts, I know you will get through it. Good luck.
  • beckaanne52
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the thoughts. I just cut calories and didn't add exercise so I am going to try to do that. Also I am going to start taking a multivitamin. I also think the thoughts about attaching self esteem to weight loss and thinking I would feel "more" better then I do probably hit it on the head. I am happy with the weight I have lost but yeah I don't feel sexy yet lol :) Thank you all. It really helped to log on and read the support. I made an appointment with dr for 4 weeks from now just in case it continues.