Need some advice

I am a 46 year old female who has put on 40 lbs during the last 13 years. Our youngest child is about to go off to college so now it is time to start looking after myself instead of everyone else. My current weight ( I am embarrassed to say.....) is 184 lbs. I would like to get down to 145lbs, I am 5'5" so overweight for my height. I have been trying to make healthier food choices during the month of August and considering going back to the gym staring in September.
I am currently eating under 1200 calories but still don't seem to be losing any weight. I have seen people talk about eating too little calories. I'm confused! If anyone wants to take a look my food diary is open for viewing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• LMJS
    LMJS Posts: 157 Member
    Hi there,
    I'm 41, 5'4 & trying to lose around 40lbs as well, so quite similar. I started out on 1460 cals which is what MFP set my goal to & that worked great for me. I have stopped a lot of the snacking I used to do too much of and am making healthier choices, but still having some treats along the way. I haven't changed the meals I eat, just portion control and sensible amounts of fats/butter etc. I try to exercise 4 times a week too. My calorie goal has just gone down to 1390 as I reset my goals after losing 17 lbs, so far so good but its only been a few days lol!
    If you need some support, feel free to add me as a friend
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • MCDKI
    MCDKI Posts: 16 Member
    hi
    I am too 46 and 206lbs, I have been up and down so many times I gave up counting. I have started to follow myfitnesspal again and am really going to do it this time! I would love to have a weight loss buddy to report to weekly and support also in your loss.
    I think it is best to stay aroung 1300-1350 as to keep motivation and metabolism up.

if you are intrested to report and support each other let me know
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Weight loss is not linear, so it usually takes time for it to start coming off. It took me a month before the first 5 pounds rolled off. You're about 3 weeks into this, if you started in early August, so you're hitting the spot where you're going to see results. Don't give up now! I do think eating a bit more might help - if you're nervous, bump it up to 1,400 a day. You'll find you have more energy to burn, which is always a good thing. When you're undereating, the body holds onto every calorie it can get, lest it need it in some emergency situation. So give your body some reassurance and eat a little more.

I use Scooby's Calculator to determine calorie goal. Real easy - just pop in your numbers. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    Hi,My intake is 1430,thats what myfitnesspal started me with when I sign on here.I workout every day and eat healthy,your important meal should be breakfast,and you should have a healthy snack,fruits then lunch ,dinner tons of water during the day,you can go to the gym or start out slow by power walking in your neighborhood.Good luck
  • AllisonB145
    AllisonB145 Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate your advice and support.
  • mychance123
    mychance123 Posts: 3 Member
    You are right that you are eating way too few calories. Your body is in starvation mode. I am a personal trainer, lost 70 before getting into this, yet still have weight to lose. I am not on here to promote business (You are too far even if I were), but I do it as a way to still monitor what I eat & I get my clients to do it so it is easier for me to see what they are doing and give advice when needed or wanted. 1200 is the absolute lowest any fit female should be eating. If you are honest with goal information you enter as far as how often you workout etc., and go by their guidelines you'll see you should be eating more to lose the 1-2 pounds a week, which is the healthy "keep it off" way to go. Try refiguring your guidelines and when you do eat more calories make sure they are healthy choices. I actually put back on a little weight when I went to school to be a trainer. We worked out 2 hours a day and with the class schedule along with that I didn't eat near enough. Once I evened things back out I started losing again. Good luck to you!! It sounds like you have the right mind set to succeed.