open diary and advice

Options
lyoill
lyoill Posts: 59
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi everyone!

I have just started back. Im currently on 1300 calories but wondering if I should be eating more or less. Is the reason that I'm really hungry at the moment due to not eating enough or just that I'm used to making myself pleasantly full:) MFP suggests 1200 calories is 1300 too high for someone like me?

I'm 41 years old 5f 4 and 68 kg looking at getting down to 58 kg one day in the next 12 months or less;)

I don't do any planned exercise at the moment I my work is semi desk bound and I chase offer my children but that is all at the moment.

Anyone want to have a look at my diary and suggest improvements?

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking water and just not logging it or not really drinking water? Just asking because I find that water seems to stop me feeling hungry at times.

Also some advice I got early on was to increase my protein intake because it helps keep you feeling full
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Try eating more vegetables and fruit and limit bread. See if that helps. A large salad with lots of veggies does it for me.

I follow greens, bean, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds. shoot for a 1lb raw and 1lb cooked.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I am by no means an expert... But based on this website http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

For a 41yr female 5'4 your BMR (this is just what the body needs to pump blood, breath, etc) is 1416, you want to make sure you eat at least this amount.

Now, the fat to fit ratiio is a concept that you eat like the healthier person you want to become. The calories allowed are based on activity.

I would say to eat between sedentary (1584) and lightly active (1815). This is just a guideline, but I would say you should be eating more. You don't have to feel hungry to lose, in fact not feeling hungry or deprived will hopefully keep you on track.

I hope this helps.

edit: I would also change your macos (carbs/protein/fat) There are a lot of different opinions on the matter but I personally have found 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat to work best for me. Fat is a fuel source and will help keep you feeling fuller longer. Fat is a friend when losing weight.
  • lyoill
    Options
    I am by no means an expert... But based on this website http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

For a 41yr female 5'4 your BMR (this is just what the body needs to pump blood, breath, etc) is 1416, you want to make sure you eat at least this amount.

Now, the fat to fit ratiio is a concept that you eat like the healthier person you want to become. The calories allowed are based on activity.

I would say to eat between sedentary (1584) and lightly active (1815). This is just a guideline, but I would say you should be eating more. You don't have to feel hungry to lose, in fact not feeling hungry or deprived will hopefully keep you on track.

I hope this helps.

edit: I would also change your macos (carbs/protein/fat) There are a lot of different opinions on the matter but I personally have found 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat to work best for me. Fat is a fuel source and will help keep you feeling fuller longer. Fat is a friend when losing weight.
  • lyoill
    Options
    It's interesting in regards to increasing my calories. when I go interstate for an event for a weekend I will eat more calories due to eating yummy things like a muffin and a coffee etc during this time I do stand all day and when I get home I will always have dropped over a kilo + in weight. most likely due to standing but I do consume a lot of extra calories.

as for the water question I drink lots of peppermint tea but I don't log this or water.

I will be starting planned exercise but I don't like to go hard from the word go. I like to start to feel better first and this usually means eating well then I just start to feel like running;) and sometimes skipping!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit, exercise as such isn't necessary (it's good for you, you can improve your cardiovascular system and build muscle which is beneficial but if you're already eating less than you burn then you will lose weight) so don't stress about that bit yet, just get the food right.

Herbal teas can count toward your water intake too, so if you're drinking plenty of those and water that's good. Staying hydrated is important.
  • seren7189
    seren7189 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree, i still havent gotten around to exercising and I've lost 44lbs just by diet alone, and by the way, MFP set me at 1540 calories based on my weight/height and activity level.
This discussion has been closed.