Cayenne Pepper suplement

Options
SIMA80
SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
Hi guys, just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with cayenne pepper. I have a very slow metabolism, and so I need to up my calories/ have a high calorie day pretty frequently, which is kind of annoying, because I really do not like the stuffed feeling and the days to follow aren't that great either. Anyhow, I was reading on cayenne pepper and ended up getting a supplement in hopes to help with my metabolism. As with most supplements, my body freaks out and I usually stop taking (even regular vitamin). I figured I would give this cayenne pepper a try for a week or two. After first week, no difference, but I did had bit of the gain. After week two, no difference, but again, I had 2.5 pound gain (didn't think too much about it, because few days earlier I did go to a birthday party and did indulge). 2.5 pound "fluctuation" or gain, however, was bit on the high side though. After week three, of sticking to structured meals, I had another 2.5 pound gain. So now, I am freaking out...must be the pepper supplement...I am just wondering if any of you guys had anything similar, or have any ideas on how to speed up the metabolism without supplements and in a more healthier way (unlike having to stuff yourself to shock your metabolism to speed it up)...Thanks a lot!!!

Replies

• dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What will boost your metabolism is increasing your percentage of muscle. If any pill were to actually work no one would be fat.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's the exercise which will boost your metabolism.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    LOL-Really?

*sigh* OP, our bodies take up to 6weeks to adapt to change. So stick with it...you'll get there!
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I guess I should provide more info. I am not looking to drop more weight. I am looking for some advice on how to keep my metabolism at the steady rate. I have been maintaining for almost two years now after dropping 107 pounds. I workout 6 days per week, 3 days of strength and cardio mix and 3 days of cardio (60 minutes minimum per workout). I think I am covering the part that exercise helps to regulate metabolism, but it doesn't seem to work me. The more weight I dropped, the harder it became to keep the metabolism going, and now it has been nothing but a battle for the past few years. Thanks.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with cayenne pepper. I have a very slow metabolism, and so I need to up my calories/ have a high calorie day pretty frequently, which is kind of annoying, because I really do not like the stuffed feeling and the days to follow aren't that great either. Anyhow, I was reading on cayenne pepper and ended up getting a supplement in hopes to help with my metabolism. As with most supplements, my body freaks out and I usually stop taking (even regular vitamin). I figured I would give this cayenne pepper a try for a week or two. After first week, no difference, but I did had bit of the gain. After week two, no difference, but again, I had 2.5 pound gain (didn't think too much about it, because few days earlier I did go to a birthday party and did indulge). 2.5 pound "fluctuation" or gain, however, was bit on the high side though. After week three, of sticking to structured meals, I had another 2.5 pound gain. So now, I am freaking out...must be the pepper supplement...I am just wondering if any of you guys had anything similar, or have any ideas on how to speed up the metabolism without supplements and in a more healthier way (unlike having to stuff yourself to shock your metabolism to speed it up)...Thanks a lot!!!

What worked for me was going completely vegan, I mean...plant-based wholefood diet. There are only a few supplements I take. B group vitamin (contains B12), Vitamin D (its winter here), and a probiotic. I also found out that nuts contain compounds that have an interesting thermogenetic effect, so I eat about 60g of nuts each day. Since going on the wholefoods plant-based diet I have been losing weight consistently despite not increasing my activity level nor eating any fewer calories.
    And apart from the weight loss, there are some extraordinary health benefits to a plant-based diet.
    I recommend it.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I can assure you that your weight gain has nothing to do with cayenne pepper. Weight loss/maintenance/gain is all about energy balance...energy deficiency and you lose...in balance and you maintain...energy surplus you gain.

Also, most people have natural body weight fluctuations in the 2-5 Lb range day to day. Make sure you weigh at the same time and under the same conditions. You fluctuations are going to be dependent on water rention/release, timing of food in/out, etc...but nothing to do with cayenne pepper.
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options

What worked for me was going completely vegan, I mean...plant-based wholefood diet.

Pudgy vegan here... going vegan for weight loss purposes without ethical motivation is not advised.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    This is a good article on metabolism from the Mayo Clinic. Supplements really don't have an effect on your body's metabolism.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have used Cayenne for different reasons.
    I was on it for 3 months and can say it had no difference to me at all for my metabolism. It worked great for my other needs though.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You might be doing to much cardio and losing muscle, as that sounds like a lot of cardio.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What will boost your metabolism is increasing your percentage of muscle. If any pill were to actually work no one would be fat.

^^This. Also, I would think that any thermogenesis and increase in metabolism caused by the ingestion of cayenne would be in direct relation to the "heat" that it and all other "spicy" foods causes. I am guessing that these supplements do not cause any heat production in the mouth and/or throat so I doubt they have any really thermogenic effect. I could be wrong though...