Any luck with pre-workout supplements / fat burners?

Options
Any advice would be great, cheers :)

Replies

• tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't get what you mean by luck but I take a pre-workout sup about once a week when I need an extra kick to get my workout in.
  • madzzzzzzz
    Options
    by luck i mean has it worked at all for anyone?
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Preworkout sup: Superpump max.....works for me though it could be all in my head. At a minimum after I drink it I never say oh hell I don't realy want to go work out and cancel ...its more like: Well I drank it so I'm going
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off of pre-workouts but i recommend DS-Craze my focus during workouts was on another planet, i do not take fat burners.
  • elizabethgriebel
    Options
    I use Energy and Endurance and it really helps me to power through a workout. It makes you burn more calories and build muscle faster.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout sup - a cup of black coffee and a slow jog ending in some dynamic stretching.

Fat-burner - picking up heavy things and putting them down or sprinting like the Bogeyman is about to catch me.

Cheap and foolproof! Good luck on your journey.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love pre-workouts. I was sharing Jack3d Micro with my husband. Trying to explore other options so GNC hooked me up with a bunch of samples. I've tried C4; dig it. Today I tried ACG3 and felt the pumps doing barbell curls. So dig that one, too. I guess I like preworkouts with NO and with or without creatine. I'm a big product junkie. :glasses:

I had tried a sample of OxyElitePro and it's just a bunch of caffeine. So you get a big caffeine rush (which to me, was helpful in moving my *kitten*).
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I also picked up on the word "luck" but I know what she means... it's not pure luck, but I do find caffeine based supplementation is great because it keeps you alert and really does help pump up a workout that may otherwise be sluggish. It helps keep energy up as well through the day.

I use MaxiRaw Turbotherm. 4 weeks on 1 week off. 3 caplets a day. and l-carnitine 500mg. In addition I take CLA, Yerba mate, l tyrosine, and various vitamins and minerals.

1 first thing when I wake before I even a shower. 1 at about 1100 with additional l-carnitine and one at about 1530/1600.

The days I don't take it I feel noticeably deflated and less energised. And L'carnitine helps me poo when I'm having a high protein phase! Hahaha!

The fat burners have to be used with exercise to be effective... they do help you burn more calories and make you feel better working out ... effectively they make you work harder in the same period of time you would have worked out in ... or the will to carry on when you may have quit!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I swear by thermogenics, I like the GNC one, it's in a red and black bottle, the pro performance one.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Preworkout sup: Superpump max.....works for me though it could be all in my head. At a minimum after I drink it I never say oh hell I don't realy want to go work out and cancel ...its more like: Well I drank it so I'm going

Oh boy, that Superpump had me feeling like the Hulk. lol! Tried it some years back, but I remember getting too massive for my little size 2 outfits. :laugh:

ETA: (massive as in I was lifting and eating my *kitten* off so did in fact get massive)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I also picked up on the word "luck" but I know what she means... it's not pure luck, but I do find caffeine based supplementation is great because it keeps you alert and really does help pump up a workout that may otherwise be sluggish. It helps keep energy up as well through the day.

I use MaxiRaw Turbotherm. 4 weeks on 1 week off. 3 caplets a day. and l-carnitine 500mg. In addition I take CLA, Yerba mate, l tyrosine, and various vitamins and minerals.

1 first thing when I wake before I even a shower. 1 at about 1100 with additional l-carnitine and one at about 1530/1600.

The days I don't take it I feel noticeably deflated and less energised. And L'carnitine helps me poo when I'm having a high protein phase! Hahaha!

The fat burners have to be used with exercise to be effective... they do help you burn more calories and make you feel better working out ... effectively they make you work harder in the same period of time you would have worked out in ... or the will to carry on when you may have quit!

I agree with all of this! they have to be used with exercise, no magic pills here! l-carnitine is something I take religiously, oh and CLA
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The majority of these products are nothing more than a bunch of vodoo crap with some caffiene. You could get the same results by drinking 2 cups of coffee an hour before you work out. There are several things that could be said about this and I am sure there are some die hards that would love to argue the point. But there are published studies and no I am not going to support with thinks. you guys can find them yourselves. But these products affect the natural function of the adrenal glands. For someone just trying to lose wieght this will likely mean nothing. But if you do some sport where you need that shot of adrennilan (spelling probably sucks).. You are not going to get it as needed or as the body is designed. Bottom line there are some unattended consequences with using these suppliments even if they say "ALL NATURAL".. Do your own research and you may not want to take the fat burners.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I started taking the GNC Total Lean Burn 60...it's only been a couple of days (30 day cycle).

8488541.png
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The majority of these products are nothing more than a bunch of vodoo crap with some caffiene. You could get the same results by drinking 2 cups of coffee an hour before you work out. There are several things that could be said about this and I am sure there are some die hards that would love to argue the point. But there are published studies and no I am not going to support with thinks. you guys can find them yourselves. But these products affect the natural function of the adrenal glands. For someone just trying to lose wieght this will likely mean nothing. But if you do some sport where you need that shot of adrennilan (spelling probably sucks).. You are not going to get it as needed or as the body is designed. Bottom line there are some unattended consequences with using these suppliments even if they say "ALL NATURAL".. Do your own research and you may not want to take the fat burners.

Caffeine from coffee does not have the same effect... this has been proven.. I need to send you some documentation which I have... But it is 0039 here and I have to get to bed but didn't want to read and run...because I thought the same originally but wondered why I don't get the jitters too bad with the tablets which supposedly have more caffeine in than the coffee... Plus caffeine helps the absorption of certain stuff!

Some people will get on their high horse that supplements are a waste of money... for some people they are, but for those wanting to take workouts to the next level and be serious about stuff, they do make a difference. For Joe Bloggs, not so much, plus they're expensive, so unless you have a very clear specific goal, its probably not worth the investment. Eating right goes a long way but I have experimented over about 5 years with supplementation and a basic thermogenic such as one that contains across the day about 4-500mg caffeine, l-carnitine, yerba mate, l-tyrosine and CLA work well. Plus B Vitamins for energy release.

For sports performance i take co-enzyme Q10 which helps a specific type of fat energy releas e that is needed by the heart to function and so I like this for improving my CV performance on 10kms... I don't just take it on the day, I take it as a staple... only about 30mg a day. more than that there's no proof it has any additional benefit and it gets pricey... there is no RDA for it.

Anyway... you'll get mixed opinions, everyones different, no two diets and training regimes combined are the same and not every body functions precisely the same way. So things work differently for different goals and lifestyles combined.