Weighing in at 1345 pounds...

Options
That's right...a 20 year old weighing in at 1345 pounds...

http://news.yahoo.com/video/saudi-man-weighing-1-345-193646059.html

Thought I would share. The heaviest patient I ever cared for was 750 plus pounds...Hope he loses weight and lives a happier life to come...

Replies

• N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why would you even....I mean, I could see if it was a glandular problem, but...damn. I had a hard enough time at 230lbs.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    20 years old.

That is just heartbreaking.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I don't think people understand that someone this heavy is on a constant cycle they cannot get out of. If you do not treat obesity when it's manageable ... then it comes to this. He is immobilized because of his own weight. I'm sure that when he was 500, 600, 900 pounds he could not really move enough for it to be called exercise. So he stayed in bed. So, he became larger and larger ...

it's actually sad when people become this big because when you go over a certain threshold, you are no longer able to be active. And it just gets worse, until you're being forklifted and your house needs to be demolished ...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable.
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    it's actually sad when people become this big because when you go over a certain threshold, you are no longer able to be active. And it just gets worse, until you're being forklifted and your house needs to be demolished ...

What about that one guy/girl that was super heavy and just used clapping to Richard Simmons as exercise and was able to get back down over time (not sure where I heard this from). I don't think it's an issue about not being "active" as much as just giving up.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It is heartbreaking to see but amazing to hear that the Prince of Saudi Arabia actually intervened on this mans behalf... I hope he gets better and actually turns his life around.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    he must have that "cough" thyroid issue like all the lazy 300lbs humans

that you on profile pic man lol..
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

oh man don't take his bait. that guy is like the best troll ever. it's actually unbelievable.

this is sad, I'm also kinda disturbed that the poor kid is waving and smiling while people are taking his picture. definitely glad he's getting help. I wonder what kind of disease he has that's been operated on?
  • SunnySideofLove
    Options

oh man don't take his bait. that guy is like the best troll ever. it's actually unbelievable.

this is sad, I'm also kinda disturbed that the poor kid is waving and smiling while people are taking his picture. definitely glad he's getting help. I wonder what kind of disease he has that's been operated on?

Too many to count. As an ICU nurse, seen it...and not a fan of trolls....
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I was at 589 when it occurred to me that if I didn't do something I would be dead soon. I know how hard it was for me to function at that weight. I can't imagine being twice that. Everything is hard.

It's hard to know what causes someone to get to such an extreme weight. I know for me it was many different issues. But at such a young age, it's not just his fault, he's being enabled. A lot.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Ive seen the face before dunno where thats all
  • br0hammer
    br0hammer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    So sad
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

You know, some of started at 300+. I never claimed to have a thyroid issue, nor was I ever lazy. I've worked the same stand up job for 27 years and have always been active. I also raised three boys on my own!

This is just a little F**ing rude comment!
  • SunnySideofLove
    Options

You know, some of started at 300+. I never claimed to have a thyroid issue, nor was I ever lazy. I've worked the same stand up job for 27 years and have always been active. I also raised three boys on my own!

This is just a little F**ing rude comment!

Awesome loss! Be proud and try not to react to others. Be you, speak truth and smile and be proud
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    wow... that's really really sad
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I was at 589 when it occurred to me that if I didn't do something I would be dead soon. I know how hard it was for me to function at that weight. I can't imagine being twice that. Everything is hard.

It's hard to know what causes someone to get to such an extreme weight. I know for me it was many different issues. But at such a young age, it's not just his fault, he's being enabled. A lot.

I'm glad that you were finally able to do something about your weight. :)

Couldn't bring myself to click the link. I feel so sorry for him. I can't imagine how depressed he must, wanting to lose weight, and probably just eating more bc he's so depressed. So sad.
  • macresca
    macresca Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary a while ago about people who get this big. At a certain weight, and he has reached it for sure, when you get too big to walk, their body is so big that they require a massive amount of calories each day just to survive. It gets to a point that they are eating tens of thousands of calories and they are LITERALLY starving to death, because they just can't eat enough to fuel all that fat. Very sad, sad place to be. The good news is there are experts on bringing people back from the brink, and maybe the prince or king or whatever it was will get the very best help for this young man.