NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN

Options
Has anyone tried the new rules of lifting for women workout? If so, did you think it was enough? I feel like 3 workouts a week that last 30-35 minutes with warmup included isn't enough. Was there something else you did along with it that still made the workout successful?

Any tips or advice would be very helpful. I want to workout more but not too much that the muscles don't have time to repair.

Thanks!

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just ordered that book. I'm curious about what people who followed it have to say!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Do a search above. there are several threads about it. Seems to be pretty popular among women lifters. I want to lose a lot more weight before I start but plan to use it when I get going on it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I did it mixed in with other stuff I already did, like jog, spin bike, box, and 30DS when I'm in a rut.
  • HockeyHolic
    HockeyHolic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it mixed in with running a few times a week. Great workout!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting...which is what New Rules is, really shouldn't take yoiu more than 30-45 minutes. Weight lifting is about putting the work in in RE to the amount of weight you are pushing and pulling...not droning away enelessly in the gym. Keep in mind that weight lifting isn't really about the calorie burn you get right now...it's a long term investment in your body composition.

Ideally, you should have a balanced fitness regimen that incorportes resistance work as well as cardio work...as well as balance and flexibility for optimal fitness. I spend about 45 minutes 3x weekly lifting weights...but I also mountain bike/cycle, run, swim, and do yoga.
  • 21deadmonkeys
    21deadmonkeys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm almost done with phase one and have been loving it. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and run on my off days. I think as long as you keep upping your weights and challenging yourself, it's a really good workout.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am nearing the end of Stage 1 and I am enjoying it. The workouts are short and only three times weekly, so I give each each workout all of my attention and effort.

Shortly before I started NROL, I quit all formal cardio because it increases my appetite so much. Because of that, my only other activity besides NROL is every day activity, like biking and walking to my destinations (probably biking fewer than 50 miles per week).
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Any form of strength weight training would be sufficient, but if you want to follow that program I see some girls talking good about it :)
  • ramshareen
    Options
    Yeah, I am trying to lift my women too but danm she is 10 pounds heavier than my actual weight :noway:
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm mid way through Stage 1 and enjoying it. I am like 40mpw, do little else except bike to work, etc. I did hear that the routines in Stage 2 are a bit longer. Plus, there's some HIIT built in.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 5 now but I felt exactly the same when I started. It will only be like this in stage one. You could add an interval at the end, which is what you are doing in stage 2 anyway. And do some cardio based stuff on the days in between, as long as it doesn't make you to tired to lift the next day.

Just keep with it it's a great programme!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It will get harder as the weights get heavier. Don't give up yet.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the comments, I just realized people had actually posted on this. I agree with the intervals in the next stage and I seen that, just didn't know what experiences everyone else had had. I do believe I will be doing something else along with it until stage 2 for sure.
    1. How did everyone decide their beginning weights? Just pick one and go from there, like as in add more or take some away. I just guessed on my squat amount and by about rep 7-8 on set 2 I was thinking I wasn't going to get it done, which I did with good form so I guess it was a decent weight to start at.
    2. Did everyone that's doing this also follow the diet in the book? I'm thinking of following it along the same lines, but not it exactly because I don't like some of it and can't eat nuts (which they have often) do to braces.
    I hope I'm able to stick with it because I don't have a ton more to lose just want to recomposition my body and I think lifting is what I've been missing.
    3. Also are any of you doing this at home, or all in the gym? I have mostly everything I need at home except a row machine and lat machine, so on those 2 I'm have to do alternative, but I think this will work.

Thanks again!!!
  • Jennloella
    Options
    I did it all at home! But we have a gym here so I don't have any advice for substitution equipment =/ I did not really follow the diet, we eat pretty clean so I just stuck to what my family already does. I had a pretty good idea of what I could lift as I've always lifted off and on, but yeah, take some off add some on if it's not working.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    Alrighty, thank you. Just trying to get as much info as I can, thinking about just buying the book itself, I have it on Kindle and wouldn't suggest that to anyone because it's hard to go back and forth and look at the exercises and what not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the comments, I just realized people had actually posted on this. I agree with the intervals in the next stage and I seen that, just didn't know what experiences everyone else had had. I do believe I will be doing something else along with it until stage 2 for sure.
    1. How did everyone decide their beginning weights? Just pick one and go from there, like as in add more or take some away. I just guessed on my squat amount and by about rep 7-8 on set 2 I was thinking I wasn't going to get it done, which I did with good form so I guess it was a decent weight to start at.
    2. Did everyone that's doing this also follow the diet in the book? I'm thinking of following it along the same lines, but not it exactly because I don't like some of it and can't eat nuts (which they have often) do to braces.
    I hope I'm able to stick with it because I don't have a ton more to lose just want to recomposition my body and I think lifting is what I've been missing.
    3. Also are any of you doing this at home, or all in the gym? I have mostly everything I need at home except a row machine and lat machine, so on those 2 I'm have to do alternative, but I think this will work.

Thanks again!!!

My wife did NROLFW (does Wendler's 5/3/1 with me now)

1) trial and error...once you lock it in, it's locked in...just have to remember to keep increasing and pushing yourself. If you feel like you could do more reps than what you just did with good form then it's probably not heavy enough.

2) remember that the NROLFW diet plan is for "maintenance"...it is not a deficit of calories for weight loss so if you were to calculate your calorie goals you would have to cut from there....essentially TDEE. The book is geared towards body recomposition...fat loss and slow muscle gain...not geared necessarily towards weighloss but your diet can be reconstructed to incorporate a deficit. My wife just used the same TDEE calculator I use and called it a day. We have tried a couple recipes in the book and their are some pretty good ones actually. My wife eats around 2300 calories to maintain while lifting and training for 5Ks and 10Ks on her non lifting days. She has 2 rest days per week.

3) we have to go to a gym. i would love to build my own home gym one day, but a program like this is difficult to do at home unless you can aquire all of the proper equipment.
  • Anonymous199616
    Options
    Could you give an example of the workouts or meal plans it has in it please? I'm thinking of buying it, but need to know if it's suitable first, thanks.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    Thanks for all the information, I mainly plan on using this just for the workout and different way it's put together. I don't have much left to lose so that's ok if I don't lose really.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    Alrighty, thank you. Just trying to get as much info as I can, thinking about just buying the book itself, I have it on Kindle and wouldn't suggest that to anyone because it's hard to go back and forth and look at the exercises and what not.

yes! I first bought it on Kobo on my Playbook and ended up going to B&N to get a hard copy because it was such a pain in the butt.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    Could you give an example of the workouts or meal plans it has in it please? I'm thinking of buying it, but need to know if it's suitable first, thanks.

I will have to reply to this when I get home, walking now.