Anyone else gotten grief for losing weight?

Options
Blood Sweat and Tears... This has been an amazing journey to reclaim my fitness

Has anyone gotten grief or back handed compliments for their weight loss? :noway: :noway: :noway:

"Your changing, not the same person, you should take a break, go a little slower, etc...."

Replies

• emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    From heavier friends ; ' You don't need to lose weight, you weren't as fat as me'

That my be so, but 'not as fat as me' is still fat!
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    My other half says things like
    It won't make you young again
    Or
    You're going to look scrawny
    Or
    You're no fun anymore

Face - bothered? Lol
  • FitCurlysue
    FitCurlysue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My own mother says I go to the gym too much. I go 5-6 days a week and I'm only there about an hour. It's not like I'm spending three hours each day and letting other parts of my life slack. I also have a significant amount of weight to lose (100+) so going 3 days a week (I see that more as a maintaining schedule) is not an option if I want to shed this weight in a good deal of time--but still going about it the healthy way.

Drives me crazy she says this but when I used to complain that I had gained some weight she'd tell me I needed to workout more! WTH!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes, well not so much grief as a lack of understanding why I have worked/am working hard to lose weight and get fitter
  • cindy326
    cindy326 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have heard just about everything...my co-workers think im obsessed. They always say things like "go ahead and treat yourself" and that I gave up one addiction (smoking) for another. I exercise too much. Now im too skinny..WTH BLAH BLAH BLAH...But I do treat myself, just not with the crap they eat. I giggle on the inside as they stuff their faces. My journey is for ME.
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No and it amazes me that people can be so insensitive and unsupportive. Perhaps it's envy?
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I know, I work my freaking *kitten* off!

It times its borderline suffering... I've been hurt bad, I've been hungry, I've hardly ever eaten my exercise calories. I'm up out the door at 6am most week days.

Yes, well not so much grief as a lack of understanding why I have worked/am working hard to lose weight and get fitter
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    My friends that are on the heavier side keep telling me I'm "wasting away to nothing" and it really ticks me off...if I WAS, I would not be trying so hard to lose this last 20 freakin' pounds!!!!
  • dgbrash2
    dgbrash2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How about this: A few weeks ago, my wife saw me getting dressed in the bedroom, and said, "We don't have the money to buy you a new wardrobe!!", noting how baggy my pants were. [Any way you slice it, a compliment is a compliment, right?!

Or this: A few nights ago, as we were standing in the kitchen cleaning up after supper, my oldest daughter (24) looked at me and said, "Daddy, you don't have a belly any more." I smiled, and said, "NOPE!!"
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have to say for the most part they have been so supportive, but it really stings when you get these low blows.

I'll just use it for fuel anyway…:drinker: :drinker:

More than anything I want to defuse it and not let it drive in distance? These are important people!
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i get it all the time a few that really wind me up:

1) your ill

2) you've lost weight now why dont u just eat?

3) your going to be tube fed if you carry on counting calories

4) what are you now? your daughters jean size??

Really gets to me and i have to explain i need to carry on counting wether it be losing or maintaining! people just have no idea!!
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I get sick of constantly having to defend myself for not eating all the junk that's always sitting around in the office (cake, crisps, doughnuts etc) and sticking to healthy snacks. I figure people do it to try and make themselves feel better about eating stuff they know they shouldn't!
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I get sick of constantly having to defend myself for not eating all the junk that's always sitting around in the office (cake, crisps, doughnuts etc) and sticking to healthy snacks. I figure people do it to try and make themselves feel better about eating stuff they know they shouldn't!

^this
  • afrodan
    afrodan Posts: 4
    Options
    Im really lucky that my core group of friends have really supported me with my weight loss. That all stems from the fact that i wrote them a massive email when I properly started explaining what I was doing, why i wasnt eating junk food and being honest about how bad I feel about the way i look and that i darent even go swimming even though i love it.

On the flip side though I get plenty of other friends saying im overdoing it or Im addicted and need to slow down.... DAMN RIGHT IM ADDICTED! Im loosing weight, getting in shape and feel the best ive ever felt before.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I went from "being fat" to "having an eating disorder." Seriously, make up your minds! Do you want me to be fat or skinny?

I think when you shun food that others are eating...it can be interpreted as "judging their choices." And you can encounter defensive attitudes when you were being completely non-judgmental of their choices. I have to admit that when people say things like: "you should eat this," "just try it," or "just live a little..." I usually respond with: "I don't want to eat that s***." Ok soooo, that might sound judge-y, but seriously, I don't WANT to eat it.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My grandmother has been telling other relatives that I'm anorexic. The same woman told me I looked chubby on my wedding day (admittedly, I did.)

Forget the haters. Do this stuff for yourself.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Lol...it's funny the things I hear. A lot of people tell me how I'm going to hurt myself from exercising too much. One morbidly obese woman said that I shouldn't run so much because she read an article that it can be bad for my heard...lol!

The key is you have to honestly be doing it for yourself, then all the bs becomes charming little background noise. :smile:

ETA: Typo
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yep, and for some reason people think I'm still doing it despite a year of maintaining :grumble:

However, those who have never known me as the chubby one tend not to make such comments. The food I choose to eat is just seen as the food I want to eat (which it is - and why should I have to apologise when I'm the one eating it anyway?), exercise is viewed as a normal part of my life (it always was, but when you're bigger it tends to be assumed otherwise), and the size I am is just the size I am. Nothing more.

There are some old friends I've fallen out of contact with though, quite simply because no one wants to spend time with someone who is constantly telling them how terrible they look. Or who is constantly eyeballing and commenting upon every mouthful you take. I've tried to be patient, to allow them to get used to what I look like now, but at the end of the day it's **** I don't need and I'm not going to stand for it.
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had a customer tell me " you need to stop losing weight, you look old now" or another one told me " you have no butt and boobs, you should stop losing weight, you don't want to look like a boy do you" I was like WTF?!?! I have 36d bra ( yes they are saggy as hell right now from the weight loss, but she couldn't see that... I have great bras... And I am 42... I AM old lmao... Oh and for the record... I have never had a butt to lose!

Please feel so free to share thoughts with out thinking... It's just freaking rude! Lol
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My parents haven't seen me since I dropped two or three pant sizes, but my coworkers gave me a lot of "Don't lose anymore weight," and "You're too skinny," and "There's a truck outside selling hamburgers--you should go get a couple." Then I bought a pair of pants and a couple shirts that fit my new self and they stopped saying anything. If you're still wearing your old clothes, all they see is how baggy your stuff looks on you and they translate that into gauntness, for some reason.