HRM vs FitBit

Options
I've had a Polar HRM for years and really liked it. I need to replace it after it met an unfortunate end. Several friends really like their FitBit. For those that have used both - which would you get? What are the pros/cons of getting a FitBit over a new HRM? THANKS!

Replies

• lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i got both !!!, it all depends on what type of fitness you do? fitbit is more for walking and everyday activity which involves walking and then the HRM which is more for the gym, weights, HIIT sessions etc that involves more explosive movements.
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have both. Get the HRM first and then add the FitBit in later. The HR monitor is more accurate for calories burned. Fitbit is a glorified pedometer but really helps with the motivation. Depending if you bike or run I would actually recommend a Garmin. I have one and use it whenever I cycle and when I walk (can't run anymore because of knees). I have the FitBit Flex btw and it does a great job of getting me out for walks at lunch and at night with the dog.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I have both as well. For the longest time I just had the fitbit, but wanted more information that just activity level.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use both I am am afraid! Gym sessions = HRM general activity = fitbit. If i had to choose fitbit would win as I like the graphs etc for motivation and if you have been using a HRM I find my workouts tend to be similar in terms of burn. Usually for me they vary by less than 10 %.
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have to think about it. I mostly walk on the treadmill, which I guess the FitBit would be great for. But I do try to mix in some exercise videos/strength workouts too. And the HRM has the benefit that I already know how to use it. :)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I use both I am am afraid! Gym sessions = HRM general activity = fitbit. If i had to choose fitbit would win as I like the graphs etc for motivation and if you have been using a HRM I find my workouts tend to be similar in terms of burn. Usually for me they vary by less than 10 %.

Bump!

And this answer is exactly why I'm still dithering over which item to get. Reviewers & manufacturers claim HRM is better if you do hilly runs, yet folks on MFP with both HRM & fitbit/similar say they get essentially the same readings.

Meanwhile, MapMyRun does a respectable job of logging the assorted climbs & pace/mile, with calorie burns that seem to reflect hills vs flat.

:-( *waffles* (much preferred as a noun than verb)