pumpkin lovers

Options
Hello pumpkin lovers. Have you ever tried addin pumpkin to your oatmeal or oatbran in the morning with cinnamon and spices. If not it is GREAT! Plus there you go a serving of veggie in :-)

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Canned pumpkin?
  • brio268250
    Options
    I have put pumpkin in my protein vanilla drink with cinnamon and ice ......pumpkin milkshake is VERY yummy.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I use 100% canned pumpkin
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I made pumpkin bread over the weekend and have 7 oz. leftover - this sounds like a very good way to use it! Thanks for the idea :)
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yum! I've also stirred it into plain greek yogurt with cinnamon and sprinkled a little granola on top-tastes like pumpkin cheesecake!-If I don't have granola, I add a bit of honey or raisins to it since the plain yogurt is a little tart.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ooo! I just read this great pumpkin recipe from Whole Living Magazine the other day, tried it, and LOVED it!

ROASTED PUMPKIN (serves 2)

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut a small pumpkin (such as sugar) in half;scrape out seeds. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, season with 3/4 tsp, salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper (omit if using in sweet dishes). Place cut side down on baking sheet. Roast until very soft, 35 to 45 minutes.

NUTRITION PER SERVING:
    277 calories; 2 g saturated fat; 11 g unsaturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbs; 428 mg sodium; 6 g protein; 9 g fiber.

INDIAN SPICED PUMPKIN (serves 4)

1. Scrape out flesh from half a roasted pumpkin (from previous recipe)
    2. In skillet over medium heat, warm 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil. Add 1/4 tsp. fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds, and 1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
    3. Add pumpkin and 2 Tbsp. maple syrup. Cook for 1 minute, mashing to combine. Add 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter and stir. Serve immediately.

NUTRITION PER SERVING:
    122 calories; 2 g saturated fat; 4 g unsaturated fat; 8 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbs; 4 mg sodium; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber,

Enjoy!
  • jrf32
    Options
    I found a recipe that you add pumpkin and cinnamon into angle food, and make a pumpkind angle food cake, it is awesome!
  • elloradannon
    Options
    Hungry Girl has an easy swap for chocolate cake using canned pumpkin.

1 box devils food cake mix
    1 can 100% pure pumpkin

Mix together (this replaces the egg and oil) and bake as directed as a cake or cupcakes. The texture is a little different but it tastes almost identical once it is baked. Cuts nearly all the fat and a ton of calories! Plus... a serving of veggies!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options

1 can 100% pure pumpkin

Mix together (this replaces the egg and oil) and bake as directed as a cake or cupcakes. The texture is a little different but it tastes almost identical once it is baked. Cuts nearly all the fat and a ton of calories! Plus... a serving of veggies!

I'm soooo gonna try this!
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried the Hungry girl version of Brownie mix...it was warm last night but the kids could still taste pumpkin...hoping once it cools it taste like chocolate!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options

1 can 100% pure pumpkin

Do you know the stats on this one? I want to make it as cupcakes, rather than one large cake.
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Using Spark People and a dry mix (could only find white) and 1 cup pumpkin (not sure how much you want added, cans are different sizes) this is what I came up with:

Nutrition Facts
    User Entered Recipe

12 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 191.7

Total Fat 4.3 g

Saturated Fat 1.1 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g

Monounsaturated Fat 2.4 g

Cholesterol 0.0 mg

Sodium 301.0 mg

Potassium 69.6 mg

Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g

Dietary Fiber 0.9 g

Sugars 20.0 g

Protein 2.0 g
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I tried entering it as a recipe so we could use it on the database, but it wouldn't let me and said it had to have atleast 3 ingredients. SO- just enter it as

Betty Crocker Devils Food cake mix (unprepared)- 1/12 of mix is a serving size or one cupcake
    .10/serving of Libby's pure pumpkin- 15 oz can is what you use for the whole recipe btw

Also- you can substitute a can of cream soda or dr. pepper with funfetti cake mix and it will work the same way
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks, both of you!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

1 can 100% pure pumpkin

O...M...G..you rule for sharing this!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had pumpkin in my oatbran this morning: delicious!

I've never tried the chocolate cake using pumpkin, but I have made chocolate brownies with pureed black beans... Just rinse a can of black beans, put beans back into can and fill with water. Puree beans and water. Add bean puree instead of the eggs and oil to a box of brownie mix and bake as normal.