Powerade Zero...

Options
I got a Powerade Zero at the local drive thru this afternoon... now I'm not so sure I should drink it.

It is a Zero-Calorie drink, however...It contains Sucralose! :(

What are your thoughts about Sucralose--how can it effect my diet?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me it's ok to drink these kind of drinks. He told me that they contain the necessary vitamins I need to put back into my body well working out. Since I don't like water, he recommended PowerAde or Gaterade Zero. I drink it all the time.

On the Surclose aspect, everyone has a different opinion, you really should base yours off how it affects your body and weight loss. For me it makes no difference.
  • AlyssaC2010
    Options
    I drink the Powerade Zero all the time...the green one is my favorite! But I'm not sure what sucralose is...is it bad for you? I try to keep out a ton of "diet" drinks because of the "fake" sweeteners. But I drink some during work (it's so hot there and I sweat a lot so I need some electrolytes) and then I drink a little in between my runs. What exactly is sucralose?
  • macgirl1906
    Options
    I drink the Powerade Zero all the time...the green one is my favorite! But I'm not sure what sucralose is...is it bad for you? I try to keep out a ton of "diet" drinks because of the "fake" sweeteners. But I drink some during work (it's so hot there and I sweat a lot so I need some electrolytes) and then I drink a little in between my runs. What exactly is sucralose?

Sucralose is "Splenda" basically. I have been reading up about "hidden sugars" and such (i.e. Maltodextrin, etc). Sucralose is a "Chlorocarbon".

Here is a piece from online about how it is made:
    "Sucralose is made by chemically altering the structure of sugar molecules by adding chlorine atoms in place of hydroxyl groups.(Everything You Need to Know About Sucralose, International Food Information Council ) Sucralose is therefore chlorinated sugar; a chlorocarbon."

...it also goes on and states the following:
    Chlorocarbons are poisonous; they're used in bleach, disinfectants, insecticide, poison gas, and hydrocholric acid. (http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/bowen.html) Because it technically started as sugar, sucralose can be marketed as "made from sugar."

To find and avoid the sweetener, you have to actually be on a mission to do so, and read every ingredient label.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    You better not drink it. If you do, you'll immediately drop dead from all the poisons in it. Having just one is all it takes to be risky, 20 a day is fine, but one ... no no no no. It's worse that one cigarette. Never drink alcohol either or take cough medicine, because there's some nasty poisonous stuff in there too. The benefits do not out weigh the potential risks and negatives .... you may as well just drink straight out of the fuel tank in your car. Throw out your table salt too, it contains chlorine and never drink water, there's some hydrogen in there. Combine the too and look out - it's stronger than an extra strength sweetener. If the water is extra high in hydrogen, because the water companies do not regulate this, it could spontaneously explode too.

I'm off to live in my bubble.
  • AlyssaC2010
    Options

Sucralose is "Splenda" basically. I have been reading up about "hidden sugars" and such (i.e. Maltodextrin, etc). Sucralose is a "Chlorocarbon".

Here is a piece from online about how it is made:
    "Sucralose is made by chemically altering the structure of sugar molecules by adding chlorine atoms in place of hydroxyl groups.(Everything You Need to Know About Sucralose, International Food Information Council ) Sucralose is therefore chlorinated sugar; a chlorocarbon."

...it also goes on and states the following:
    Chlorocarbons are poisonous; they're used in bleach, disinfectants, insecticide, poison gas, and hydrocholric acid. (http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/bowen.html) Because it technically started as sugar, sucralose can be marketed as "made from sugar."

To find and avoid the sweetener, you have to actually be on a mission to do so, and read every ingredient label.

Ahhh okay, thanks for the info. Yea, I've read some stuff on Splenda...I don't really like that too much anyways. I usually stick with stevia (I wish more stuff was made w/ it but it's so expensive). But really Oats4Breakfast? I don't know which one of us your snarky comments were made to, but we're trying to answer each others questions. I wanted to know what it was, she wanted to know if it's something she should avoid. This site is about people helping each other so maybe you should just keep your *****y comments to yourself if you aren't on board.
  • AlyssaC2010
    Options
    I can't believe it blocked out the "b" word. Anyways. All you had to say is "you don't have to worry about trying something new" or blah, blah, whatever. It could've been put in a nicer way. A lot of people on this site are genuinely concerned about some things and they want to feel comfortable coming on these message boards to ask a question without being mocked or criticized.