Too much weight loss in face...

Options
Hey guys! So I'm having an issue and I'm not really sure what to do about it. I'm still about 10lbs from my goal weight, however my face has thinned out to a point where if I lose anymore I will start to look gaunt.

Has anyone else ever had this issue, or have any advise? My typical exercise is running along with lifting weights. I'm just not sure how to lose the weight I would like to still lose without losing more in my face.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You don't really get to pick and choose where you lose fat. You'll probably lose from somewhere with more fat before your face starts to look gaunt. And you can always eat a little more to regain body fat percentage, if you feel a higher percentage is more suitable.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately we can't choose where we lose from. I will say, though, that when I first started losing weight I had the same concerns as I lost from my face first, and at 45, I did not want to rock the old and dried out look. Fortunately my face seems to have stabilized as the rest of my body continues to lose. So just go ahead and keep losing, and see how it goes! As PP noted, you can always gain a little bit if you think you need to.
  • sgdenton
    sgdenton Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been getting told that I'm starting to look sickly because of my face, so it's just been weighing on me a lot. I'm no where near underweight, so it's frustrating to deal with. I will see if it will balance out after a few more pounds, and if not, I may just have to settle at a slightly higher weight.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to ANY negative comments regarding what you look like, especially if you've lost weight. Nobody would think of telling somebody they look chubby in the face and that you might have gained too much (except for my grandmother, God bless her).

The majority of people out there don't know what healthy looks like.

Personally, I think you look healthy and beautiful. Congrats on the loss.
  • tommyswoman
    Options
    Yep, I have to agree with Roadstergirli. Someone is talking nonsense to you because if you look anything like the pics in your profile, your face is not too thin and you do not look old. You look good.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am not even half way to goal but I have found it very surprising how much weight I have lost from my face already. Just thought I would add that. But I think you will be okay, at least hope so.
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you look now like your picture then you don't look sickly at all..pfft! Maybe try toning to change body shape at this point rather than more weight loss? Not sure if you are doing weights or anything but it might be a different route to the final outcome you want.
  • sgdenton
    Options
    Don't listen to ANY negative comments regarding what you look like, especially if you've lost weight. Nobody would think of telling somebody they look chubby in the face and that you might have gained too much (except for my grandmother, God bless her).

The majority of people out there don't know what healthy looks like.

Personally, I think you look healthy and beautiful. Congrats on the loss.

Thank you so much!!
  • sgdenton
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful comments, I do look the same as in my profile picture! I will work on adding more toning exercise, I think that's a great idea!!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Boy do I know this one! My face was pretty thin even when I was obese...made me look thinner than I was (as long as I stayed seated).

But it has always been the first thing to get thinner...and thinner. and I get that same line from people..."Stop dieting! You look so drawn!" (because they clearly haven't looked at my body)

not much we can do about it that I know of except play with blusher etc.

and remember; smiling makes your face look wider!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible that you and other people got used to seeing your face heavier, so they are over reacting to your now thinner face. I also think that if you lose the 10 pounds you will not see much of that from your face. you probably already lost a lot from your face and 10 pounds isn't that much, you will lose it all over your whole body and just a small amount from your face. If you are unhappy with the results you can stop or regain at anytime. But, sometimes people just need to adjust. I bet if you met new people right now, no one would say anything about your face being thin.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Do YOU think it looks bad or are you basing this on other people's comments?

If it's other people, then ignore them. Pretty much everybody that loses weight gets to a point where people actually notice and tell them they are going to look sickly if they lose more. It's probably not true, it's just people's reaction to noticing an appreciable difference. There's actually a psychological phenomena behind it- about how we (collectively) react when we finally notice something different about people we see everyday.

If YOU think it looks bad, it might be worth considering adjusting your goal weight, and changing your approach moving forward from losing weight to body recomposition.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I let myself regain a little because of this and have reevaluated my goal weight.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    *looks at profile pic* Ignore the people saying your face is too thin. You look lovely and much younger than you claim to be. They are just jealous. ;)