A substitute for Soda

Options
So has anyone else found a substitute for the soda craving?

I haven't drank soda for over 7 months now. But have recently found a drink that reminds me of soda. Sparkling water, flavored. It's zero cal as well. But my question is...just how healthy is it?

I'm sure if a person drank as much of it as they had soda in the past...it probably wouldn't be a good thing....?

Replies

• pjlove1
    pjlove1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    unsweet iced tea. going on my fourth week without soda. just doing that, have lost about 15 pounds. i drank a LOT of it!
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing water... Last time I quit drinking soda I lasted about 7 or 8 months. But THEN I decided to have some lemonade. When that got old, I chose sprite-- at least it wasn't a dark soda. Eventually I opted for root beer... and right back into coke. Lemonade: it's a gateway drink. Hahaha. I'm going to TRY to stick with water for the most part. I like to fresh squeeze my juice, too. Delicious. :) If ever I want something else, I'll try some tea. I don't want to go back into drinking soda anymore. As for sparkling water... I'm not sure how unhealthy it is but if it's flavored it sounds like it either has sugar, or worse- artificial sweeteners. I'd just drink it sparingly if I were you. Everything in moderation. :)
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If your new drink is artificially sweetened I'd avoid it. I distrust sugar substitutes and worry that there are unhealthy side effects. Nothing in life is free, y'know?

I drink Club Soda. Nothing in it, no calories, just bubbly water. You can add a slice of lemon, a slice of lime, some chilled tea (like berry tea, lemon, etc)...even a dash of fruit juice if you wanna be a bit sinful. Still less than a can of soda.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing water... Last time I quit drinking soda I lasted about 7 or 8 months. But THEN I decided to have some lemonade. When that got old, I chose sprite-- at least it wasn't a dark soda. Eventually I opted for root beer... and right back into coke. Lemonade: it's a gateway drink. Hahaha. I'm going to TRY to stick with water for the most part. I like to fresh squeeze my juice, too. Delicious. :) If ever I want something else, I'll try some tea. I don't want to go back into drinking soda anymore. As for sparkling water... I'm not sure how unhealthy it is but if it's flavored it sounds like it either has sugar, or worse- artificial sweeteners. I'd just drink it sparingly if I were you. Everything in moderation. :)

True. I typically don't drink more than one a week, but with orientation starting this week then classes. -.-
    I've been drinking a bit more this week.

As for soda, don't really have a desire for it any more. I stick to water, orange juice, and fat free milk. But when I go to catch a game at State College, I'm probably going to be bad an have nachos and cheese, but I'll replace the soda with the sparkling water. lol. One snack like that in a long time I feel is acceptable after all this time. :)
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just drink plain water, tea and rarely coffee. If I feel spritely I'll put slices of vegetables/fruits to spice up my water :)
  • ketoambahh
    Options
    ^ I love putting limes in my water, it tastes great!

You could always take plain seltzer water and put citrus wedges in it. I don't like seltzer water myself but it would be a good substitute to try.
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mineral water try for low sodium...some can be stupidly high. I have a bad bad thing for diet coke. This is my first day soda free...so far no headache and I am kinda shocked and pleasantly surprised. You can soda stream your own water and know there is nothing added but the gas for the machine is kinda expensive.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    Probably not! The key is moderation, I used to drink soda in moderation already, I was never a big fan of bubbly drinks so I'll still have one every now and then. But I have found unsweetened tea, like one you make from loose leaves, to be a great alternative to water as it can get pretty boring even though it's almost all I drink nowadays!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If your new drink is artificially sweetened I'd avoid it. I distrust sugar substitutes and worry that there are unhealthy side effects. Nothing in life is free, y'know?

I drink Club Soda. Nothing in it, no calories, just bubbly water. You can add a slice of lemon, a slice of lime, some chilled tea (like berry tea, lemon, etc)...even a dash of fruit juice if you wanna be a bit sinful. Still less than a can of soda.

I'll second the Club Soda, with a wedge of lime and/or fresh mint leaves on the rocks. I gave up Coke for a month and felt so deprived, almost gave up on the weight loss, then discovered that if I'm fully hydrated (8-10 cups of water by lunch), the major cravings are gone. I still treat myself to a 7.5 oz Coke once a week as a treat and it's starting to lose its appeal...taste buds are changing. Tea is good with a little Splenda, but I avoid all drinks with aspartame. Believe it or not, some Kool-Aid flavors aren't bad if you sweeten with Splenda or if you still use aspartame, Crystal Light is decent.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    monster_absolutely_zero_1-400-400.jpg
  • reagmatt
    Options
    I drink Diet green tea, water with lemon and crystal light. I do love the sparkling water as well. Week 2 with no soft drinks.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Exactly.
  • keltra007
    keltra007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a strictly water person, with the exception of the Advocare Spark and PowerAde Zero. I do the Spark to start my day and then water for the remainder. When I get bored I have the PowerAde Zero or a Sparklng Ice. Sometimes you just need the bubbles and fizz to get you over that hump.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Zevia zero calorie soda. It's sweetened with stevia, and here in Canada it has added vitamin C (the American version does not have vitamin C). Cream Soda, Ginger Root Beer, Black Cherry, and Cola are my favs. :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been loving Perrier with lime. IT's not the sweetness in soda that I like, it's the bubbles!
  • ketoambahh
    Options
    Zevia zero calorie soda. It's sweetened with stevia, and here in Canada it has added vitamin C (the American version does not have vitamin C). Cream Soda, Ginger Root Beer, Black Cherry, and Cola are my favs. :)

Those are awesome! They're a little on the pricey side but they're great if you want just one a day. Orange is my favorite out of those.
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are big on cardio, carbonated drinks will reduce your VO2. Best not to drink them often if cardio plays a big role in fitness ie, running, swimming, etc. (This is what i have been told from coaches)
  • cathrynfay
    Options
    I like flavored sparkling water, too. And no, it's not artificially sweetened. It's not sweetened at all, just lightly flavored with lime or something similar. La Croix is my go-to brand.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    LaCroix sparkling water. No sweetener no sodium no calories. They have several flavors. My favorite is coconut