Not sure where to begin anymore

Options
Let me start by saying that I am a total all or nothing, on and off again kind of dieter. I have tried everything from Weight Watchers, South Beach, Jenny Craig, SparkPeople, Myfitnesspal and I always have the same end results; failure. I do well the first couple of days and then as soon as something stressful happens or I don't have the right foods to eat I am completely derailed and back to unhealthy eating. I desperately want to lose the weight, as it is completely holding me back from so many things and it making me, quite frankly, miserable.

However, I don't know where to start anymore. I have tried all kinds of different approaches so many times that I feel completely lost. I need to find an approach that is relatively simple to follow, won't leave me feeling deprived, and will keep me interested in continuing the plan. Is there anything is particular that has really jump started you on your weight loss journey? Any weight loss programs you recommend? Where do you think I should begin? I am open to any and all of the suggestions you may have as to where I should start in order to lose this weight once and for all.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I am a 22 year old male living on the East Coast.

Thank you!!

Replies

• sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to try a slower approach than the "all or nothing head first" approach. Maybe make a weekly goal and keep adding to your weekly goals. For instance: week 1- drink the amount of ounces your body needs. Week 2- keep drinking the water and add a nightly walk. Week 3- continue week 1 and 2 while also committing to not eating after 8 p.m. (or whatever rules would be relevant to your success).

Otherwise-- I'd just start with MFP again. Redo your profile to know how many calories you need and just start tracking. Even if you eat like crap- track it. At least you know and you're in the habit of tracking it.

Watch "Hungry For Change." Awesome documentary that is rather motivating if I do say so myself.

Check out Jon Gabriel's book: The Gabriel Method. Maybe you have other issues standing in your way and I think his book deals with that type of stuff.

I think checking out the "success stories" on MFP's message boards are totally motivating. Maybe read some of the success stories... you might relate to how they felt at the beginning of their journey.

Good luck!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to try a slower approach than the "all or nothing head first" approach. Maybe make a weekly goal and keep adding to your weekly goals. For instance: week 1- drink the amount of ounces your body needs. Week 2- keep drinking the water and add a nightly walk. Week 3- continue week 1 and 2 while also committing to not eating after 8 p.m. (or whatever rules would be relevant to your success).

Otherwise-- I'd just start with MFP again. Redo your profile to know how many calories you need and just start tracking. Even if you eat like crap- track it. At least you know and you're in the habit of tracking it.

Watch "Hungry For Change." Awesome documentary that is rather motivating if I do say so myself.

Check out Jon Gabriel's book: The Gabriel Method. Maybe you have other issues standing in your way and I think his book deals with that type of stuff.

^ this , there is no quick magical fix. Eat less , move more, keep count of the caliories. This needs to be long term.

I think checking out the "success stories" on MFP's message boards are totally motivating. Maybe read some of the success stories... you might relate to how they felt at the beginning of their journey.

Good luck!
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would do three things:

1) Set a reasonable calorie goal for your weight. Enter it into MFP (or another food logging site).

2) Log everything you eat. Even if it's bad. Especially if it's bad. Start by trying to stay within your overall calorie goal. If you mess up one day, start again the next. No worries.

3) Put an appointment on your calendar every day for exercise for 30 minutes. Literally have it on your calendar. Even if it's just walking. Keep that appointment.

If you log everything, you'll eventually settle into a healthier eating pattern. If you exercise every day (or several times a week) in addition to the healthier eating, you'll start to lose weight.

Eventually you can start looking at your macros if you are keeping the calories within range. Eventually, you can start a more vigorous exercise program.

The weight will come off.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Set a reasonable weight loss goal per week compared to what you have to lose. Eat the way you feel you can for the rest of your life, so no cutting out food groups/specific foods if you know you can't live without them. Weigh and measure your foods. Log everything.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You talk about not having the "right foods" to eat or eating "unhealthy foods" but really, you don't need to give all that stuff up so long as you stick to your caloric goals.

I had been doing low-carb for the last year and suddenly I'm "allowed" to eat cereal every morning (the joy of my day, I swear) and sandwiches for lunch with real bread, and burgers for dinner (made delicious spicy lentil burgers tonight). So long as I keep to my daily goals I'm good. Heck, I made cookies tonight (lemon zucchini; delicious!) because I had a couple hundred calories left at the end of the day.

I honestly believed when I joined MFP that I would have to go hungry in order to lose weight. Turns out I do not. True, there are some killer foods out there I need to avoid, such as some of my fave pasta dishes, perogies with sour cream (an old comfort food; god I was shocked to see how many calories are in those things!). But I also know that every once in a while I can go crazy and have a "cheat day". Meanwhile I'm super happy with what I get to it now! ;-)

One more suggestion: I go grocery shopping only once per week, mostly to cut down on spending too much money (I always seem to come out of a store with more than I planned to get coming in!). I do my meal plan the night before and then make my list and shop. This way I have a week's worth of good meals and foods. This also makes sure I don't "run out" of good choices and options.