sugar in fruit

Options
I don't get why I can eat 4 servings of fruit in a day and be way over on my "sugars" allotment.

Replies

• Ben_Avery
    Ben_Avery Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Fructose (sugar) is still sugar. Your body will burn it before it starts on any fat reserves you have. So limiting fructose intake encourages fat loss. The same applies for carbohydrates which are easily converted by the body.
  • lizaaboots
    Options
    I agree with Ben. Sugar will be sugar and it will only add to some more in your weight. So I think it will be better if you could just cut back on your sugar intake for some time now.
    http://www.karinherzog.com/de
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ben. Sugar will be sugar and it will only add to some more in your weight. So I think it will be better if you could just cut back on your sugar intake for some time now.
    Sauerstoff Creme

I disagree. A calorie deficit is a deficit, it doesn't matter is your diet is made up of twinkies or fresh fruit and veges. Don't worry too much about your sugar level unless directed by your doctor. Just be weary of processed sugars which give you less nutrition for your calories.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Sauerstoff Creme

I disagree. A calorie deficit is a deficit, it doesn't matter is your diet is made up of twinkies or fresh fruit and veges. Don't worry too much about your sugar level unless directed by your doctor. Just be weary of processed sugars which give you less nutrition for your calories.

This.

You only need to watch sugar intake if you have a medical reason such as diabetes. Otherwise, don't even bother with. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • Ben_Avery
    Options
    Ok. Except your body takes the easiest route to find energy. Low carb vegetables in the main take more energy to digest than they provide and nutritionally excellent and provide a feeling of satiety. Junk food will give you an unnecessary sugar and carbohydrate hit and have you hungry again sooner. Plus it would be a poor eating habit to base your diet off of junk food.
    Everything in moderation.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Ok. Except your body takes the easiest route to find energy. Low carb vegetables in the main take more energy to digest than they provide and nutritionally excellent and provide a feeling of satiety. Junk food will give you an unnecessary sugar and carbohydrate hit and have you hungry again sooner. Plus it would be a poor eating habit to base your diet off of junk food.

But this is about fruit.

Fruit=junk food now?

I swear MFP Food and Nutrition gets wackier and wackier everyday.
  • Ben_Avery
    Options

But this is about fruit.

Fruit=junk food now?

I was referring to the twinkies comment.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

But this is about fruit.

Fruit=junk food now?

Orthorexics unite! :flowerforyou:

Seriously, it does not matter where the energy comes from, whether it is fat or carbs and if it's carbs, what kinds of carbs if you are in calorie deficit. You will still lose weight.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

But this is about fruit.

Fruit=junk food now?

I was referring to the twinkies comment.

Well, its helpful to quote things.

That said if someone is able to eat only Twinkies and remain at a deficit they'll lose weight. Satiety/fullness doesn't matter if they can stick to their intake limit.

OP: Ignore the sugar count (replace it with something useful, like fiber. Or nothing at all) and eat your fruit. Eat all the fruit. You'll be hardpressed to find a lot of people who got fat eating fruit and even then: Eat the fruit within your calories and you'll lose weight. /thread
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I wouldn't worry too much about eating too much fruit. I personally eat about 4 servings a day and haven't had a problem. You only really need to keep fruit sugar in check when something like diabetes is the issue
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Orthorexics unite! :flowerforyou:

Seriously, it does not matter where the energy comes from, whether it is fat or carbs and if it's carbs, what kinds of carbs if you are in calorie deficit. You will still lose weight.

I always fight with the mental image of a pound-of-sugar-per-day diet when I read posts like this. Calorie deficit, right? Energy is still energy, right?
  • MalinLondon
    MalinLondon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Even though Ben probably have left this forum (=)) I must say I agree with him. There are so many different opinions out there and the only right thing to do is to listen to how your body respond to the sugar. I am unfortunately extremely insulin sensitive and my carbs and sugar only comes from vegetables and occasional fruit. I do very rarely eat high GI fruits and dried fruits, (I stick to berries, cherries etc.) and when I have them I never eat them late evenings as my body is lazy and finds it easier to store this type of energy rather than burn it even if I have not eaten all my calories that day.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sucrose, glucose, fructose....
    The body's insulin response reacts to glucose.
    Part of the sugar in fruit (depending on fruit) is fructose and does not influence insulin levels. It still gets burned as cheap energy by the body, though. But even if fruit is sweet, its sugar content is mostly lower than that of sweetened processed supermarket foods.
    In whole fruit (as opposed to fruit juices) the sugar comes with lots of fiber which aids satiety in a way that the pure sugar consumed would not.
    Don't throw the baby out with the bath tub. Have your fruit, limit processed, isolated sugars.