Lite N' Easy

Options
I just recently started the 1200 meal plan for $138 a week. The food tastes great and I am pleasantly surprised. Curious if anyone else is on a meal plan similar or the same as lite n easy?

:)

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Woah. Is that a lot of money on food per week? I'm in NZ so I have no idea if that's high or not?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Woah. Is that a lot of money on food per week? I'm in NZ so I have no idea if that's high or not?

I'm not sure where the OP is from, but for one person a week it seems high in Northern MN / NW Ontario.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a rip off. I'm in Australia & there is no way on earth I'd pay that. Take away the fact you never learn how to do it on your own. You never learn how to balance your own meals out or how to prepare the meals. It's all pre-cooked, and you really have no way of knowing what 'extras' are in there.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    that sounds like australian prices. 7 days, 3 meals a day?

I have done it twice. I end up with a mountain of frozen dinners and bags of cereal whenever I stop doing it. I hate the dinners. Hate the smell they make in the microwave after a while.

Also I'd recommend buying the 1500 cal pack on alternate weeks, and saving half your snacks for 1200 cal weeks. that way if you have a crap lunch you can have some tasty snacks to make up for it.

TBH Lite n Easy makes me crave proper food. Fresh vegetables and real meat. But my mum loves it.

ALSO I feel obligated to say, it took me 3 months to lose 3kg with lite n easy. I've shed weight much quicker and I am much happier now we're preparing & cooking our own meals. And its cheaper.
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have done Lite N' Easy in the past, when my (now ex) hubby was working FIFO on a 4 and 1 roster. It was mostly for convenience, as it meant that while he was away I didn't have to think about food and I would be eating something remotely healthy rather than sulking and eating crap.
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    Well I'm not sure what shops you guys are going to but $138 is not a lot of money. It's for 3 meals a day 7 days a week. Especially since its all cooked and prepared and it balances what your body needs.

For the last 2 months I'd been spending $125 a week on food shopping and still going out and buying take aways and going out to dinner. So if anything it's saving money for me personally.

It basically tells me the right portions and amount of food I should be eating to lose my 15kgs, if you make your own food you tend to put a lot more into your plate etc.
  • Chriztii
    Options
    Also i live in Perth, I know clothes and shoes are more expensive here but I'm not sure about food shopping. That could also be a factor haha
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not sure what shops you guys are going to but $138 is not a lot of money. It's for 3 meals a day 7 days a week. Especially since its all cooked and prepared and it balances what your body needs.

For the last 2 months I'd been spending $125 a week on food shopping and still going out and buying take aways and going out to dinner. So if anything it's saving money for me personally.

It basically tells me the right portions and amount of food I should be eating to lose my 15kgs, if you make your own food you tend to put a lot more into your plate etc.

Granted, I'm in the US, but I spend about $200-250 a month on food for myself. If I'm on a tight budget, I can switch to frozen veggies and add in more rice and legumes and cut it down to far less than that. I also cook large batches of food and then freeze in individual servings. Essentially make your own frozen meals. I think they taste better, still pretty darn easy, and MUCH cheaper.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that diet plan but I'm sure you can make your own for much much less.

I spend at most $75 a week on food and household items for myself and my husband and that includes buying what our dog needs. I couldn't imagine spending that much on so little food. If you shop correctly you can eat very healthy for very cheap.

If you make your own food you know what is in it. You can control the quality of ingredients. You can control the sodium, fat, etc along with ensuring you are reaching your macros. You can make portion controlled food with some measuring cups and a food scale pretty easy.
  • Chriztii
    Options
    You guys are from American though? The prices of living in Australia is a lot higher because our wages are higher etc, Perth especially. Perth is the 10th most expensive place to live in the world. My parents pay $300 a week for just them.

The least I've ever heard someone i know is $100 a week for one person.
  • Chriztii
    Options
    I found this online : Groceries Prices in United States are 27.00% lower than in Australia

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=United+States
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I found this online : Groceries Prices in United States are 27.00% lower than in Australia

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Australia&country2=United+States
    Well, even if you multiply what I spend by 127%, you get about $320 per month. It seems like a few people in Australia can eat cheaper too. I guess the question is, do you think there is value in what you're buying, and do you think you can make similar food choices and portion choices after you stop buying the meal plan.

I think some people learn nothing from meal plans because they treat it as "lazy food" and don't pay attention to what their food looks like (what kinds of food, how much of it). Others really look at their food and learn from it. If you can do that and you think that what you're buying is worth the price, then it could be a really good tool for you.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

27% is not a huge amount... a lot of things here in Canada are more expensive than in the US. It also comes down to how you shop. You can eat well for cheaper prices. Shop at cheaper stores. Shop sales. Use coupons if available. Shop what's in season. Grow what you can at home. Buy in bulk.
  • okayleighg
    Options
    I started today, having done Jenny Craig and hating the food, and I ate Lite n Easy before, I decided to go back. The food is good. Also for me it's cheaper. I am sure planning the meals and the grocery list would work out cheaper in the long run, but being in a situation where you can't just cook for yourself, but instead the whole family, you end up eating things that you shouldn't. I am on the Lunch and Dinners only, I didn't see the point of the breakfasts as I eat my own cereal anyway and the morning snack I always have as I make my way to work or uni. So I get Lunch, Afternoon Snack and Dinner for 5 days, as on the weekend I have netball all day Saturday and Sunday is always doing family stuff. It is about $20 - $40 more expensive than if you were to do it on your own, but my lifestyle has put me in a situation where convenience is worth the extra money, and I was spending more money on food at uni, which wasn't that good anyway, and more money on takeaway dinners when I couldn't be bothered to cook.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You guys are from American though? The prices of living in Australia is a lot higher because our wages are higher etc, Perth especially. Perth is the 10th most expensive place to live in the world. My parents pay $300 a week for just them.

QFT
    Im also in Perth and grocery shopping is incredibly expensive. Ive also done Lite and Easy a couple of times in the past for a similar cost to my normal grocery bill. Its good if you are at that stage of your life when shopping and cooking for healthy meals is difficult. Ive done it when Ive had a newborn and also when I was trying to develop an exercise habit with a busy schedule. I lost weight both times but I also put it straight back on again afterwards. Without knowing your height, circumstances, level of actitivity etc I wont comment on what your calorie needs would be but in general I would recommend going to the 1500 cal programme not 1200. Weight loss might be slower but its easier to adjust to normal eating afterwards. If time isnt an issue for you though I would stick to cooking your own meals as its a better long term strategy, and you can keep a better track of your macro nutrients.
  • Chriztii
    Options

QFT
    Im also in Perth and grocery shopping is incredibly expensive. Ive also done Lite and Easy a couple of times in the past for a similar cost to my normal grocery bill. Its good if you are at that stage of your life when shopping and cooking for healthy meals is difficult. Ive done it when Ive had a newborn and also when I was trying to develop an exercise habit with a busy schedule. I lost weight both times but I also put it straight back on again afterwards. Without knowing your height, circumstances, level of actitivity etc I wont comment on what your calorie needs would be but in general I would recommend going to the 1500 cal programme not 1200. Weight loss might be slower but its easier to adjust to normal eating afterwards. If time isnt an issue for you though I would stick to cooking your own meals as its a better long term strategy, and you can keep a better track of your macro nutrients.

Thanks its good to have someone comment who understands what I'm trying to say here haha, as for the calories, i am eating 1,350 everyday usually after i include my coffee/tea. I'll probably raise my calorie intake when i reach my goal weight but for now I'm trying this out. I used to eat the same and was full.

I understand everyones point, but i think everyones failing to understand that I clearly don't care about the cost. Considering i spend the same amount anyway buying junk food and crap. Im also only 21 years old, It's not like i am buying for a family. just myself haha. I was hoping for comments more relating to the actual food plan not the cost of it.
  • Chriztii
    Options
    I started today, having done Jenny Craig and hating the food, and I ate Lite n Easy before, I decided to go back. The food is good. Also for me it's cheaper. I am sure planning the meals and the grocery list would work out cheaper in the long run, but being in a situation where you can't just cook for yourself, but instead the whole family, you end up eating things that you shouldn't. I am on the Lunch and Dinners only, I didn't see the point of the breakfasts as I eat my own cereal anyway and the morning snack I always have as I make my way to work or uni. So I get Lunch, Afternoon Snack and Dinner for 5 days, as on the weekend I have netball all day Saturday and Sunday is always doing family stuff. It is about $20 - $40 more expensive than if you were to do it on your own, but my lifestyle has put me in a situation where convenience is worth the extra money, and I was spending more money on food at uni, which wasn't that good anyway, and more money on takeaway dinners when I couldn't be bothered to cook.

This is basically me, i spent more money on food i didn't need. Let me know how you go with it :) I'm on my 5th day and i am enjoying the food more then i expected. Meals are still small but i try to keep myself full with water and tea
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Eating prepped food (unless you are going to do it for life) doesn't teach one how to portion themselves when they want to eat something other than prepped meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kaityfarrance
    Options
    Personally I think that is a good amount to pay per week.
    I live in Melbourne (Australia) and I can easily pay over $120 a week on all of my meals and snacks.

Especially considering you are getting more for your money with portion control, nutrient control etc. I think it is a good deal. I have wanted to try Lite n Easy for a while but was worried I wouldn't like the taste (i'm fairly picky!)

And in America $250 may work per month but I don't know of anyone in Australia who could spend $250 a month on food in Australia, it just isn't feasible here.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but Americans can't go judging Australians on grocery bills. Our costs are far higher, as are wages, mortgages, etc etc. Everything costs more.

My partner & I were on a pretty strict budget for a while - $200 a week for petrol and groceries. For two people, that was really difficult to stick to & still be healthy. Petrol was normally about $50 a week, so say $150 for food. We ate a lot of pasta, rice and bread. not good.

Now we're eating paleo-ish food, our groceries have gone up to about $250/week, because we're buying so much more fresh fruit, veg & meat. The cost for both of us to do Lite N Easy was $300/week. So $50 difference, and we didn't have to spend hours prepping & cooking every meal. The price is reasonable for the convenience.