top tips to loose 100lbs

Options

Replies

• yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    These are the things that seem to be working for me:
    I have set what is called a strategic plan for my fat-loss journey. I'm still working on perfecting it though, I rarely have time, but I've got a lot of the major parts down, just need to put the finishing touches on my action plans. Basically, a strategic plan goes through who you are, who you want to be, what your goals are, what your mission and your vision is, and how are you going to do it. When I actually sit and think about the whole process, it cements it in my mind more, and every so often I will take a look at it, and make sure I am on track.
    Also I have set up a reward system for myself when I hit certain goals.
    I also pay into a fund. For each pound I lose, I put in $1, for each pound I gain back, I put in $2, which means that for every pound I gain back, technically I'm paying $3 for, since I will have to repay the $1 when I lose it again. I figure this fund will go to my ultimate goal when I lose all the fat weight I want to, towards a brand new wardrobe. or at least some of a brand new wardrobe, with any luck I'll only have about $100 in the fund, and no backslides, but, well they happen xD
    I'm also strength training as my exercise, and swimming. The swimming is my passion, I grew up in water, I love to swim, and it seemed only natural to make it my exercise. I couldn't believe how hard it was to swim the first day, and it really put into perspective how bad I'd let things go. The strength training came after looking at many other people's results, and from my want to be stronger. I've never been what I would call strong. I'm also terribly self-concious, and am battling that every time I head to the gym to lift weights, and it makes me feel even stronger, so it boosts my confidence, and makes it easier to believe that I CAN DO THIS.
    Lastly, I try and watch what I eat, and make better decisions. Also, if I know I'm going somewhre out to eat, I plan what I'm going to have BEFORE going out, so I'm not horribly surprised when I get home and enter it in.

(TL;DR: Strategic Plan (kind of who,what,when,where,why?), rewards, Weight-loss fund (Kind of like a swear jar), and better food decisions and food planning.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    eat in a slight caloric deficit and get up of the couch and get moving, stick with it and give it your all and you will be successful.....
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    awesome thank you
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things that I have learned and what has helped me on my journey (this is just my opinion):

I didn’t set a goal weight at first; instead I focused on hitting smaller goals like look and feel better, make exercise easier and less painful, certain clothing sizes and manageable weight loss goals. This helped me keep things in perspective. I didn’t want to set myself up for failure and keep looking at a big number in weight loss. As I hit a goal, I set another one and worked towards that. Before I knew it, I would hit that goal and need to set another one. I would reward myself for hitting the goals, by buying outfits, shoes, and for the 100 lb mark I splurged on my 1st ever spa day for my sister and I (boy was I motivated to hit that goal!). Now I'm working hitting my actual goal weight and planning a weekend get-a-way once I hit it.

• Work on the mindset that this is not a “diet” it’s a lifestyle change. I correct my friends and family all the time when they say I’m on a diet. I have had to work hard at changing my mindset and mentality. I know this is something I have to do for the rest of my life as I do not ever want to get back to where I was before.

• Life happens! There are going to be days that you don’t have the motivation to work out, or at an event that you want to eat some things that you typically don’t. Go ahead and not work out or have that 2nd piece of cake. Those things aren’t going to kill you. Work out a little more if you know you are going to be eating more. Just let those things be the exception and not the rule. Do everything in moderation. Allow yourself to participate in life and don’t feel guilty for it and don’t beat yourself up. I know it’s a lot easier said than done. I’m still working on it.

• Start slowly. Who cares if it takes you 1 yr to lose 25, 50 or100 lbs or 5 yrs to do so? It is not a race and our bodies respond differently. Eliminate some things in your diet at once and then gradually eliminate the rest of them. Same with exercise….I have a really bad knee from sports (have had 4 surgeries) and am limited on some things that I can do. Working out in the beginning was hard for me and painful. I discovered aqua aerobics was easier on my knees and provided a good workout. After a few months of that and losing weight, I was able to introduce other activities and my knees felt better. I have worked myself up to doing spinning 6 days a week along w/ a weight circuit. But this did not happen overnight.

• Plan out your meals and exercise. I schedule my exercise in my calendar so that it serves as a constant reminder on what I have to do for the day. When eating out try to look up the menu and see if there are any nutritional facts before you go. Then you know exactly what you want to get before you get there and how many calories you will be consuming. Don’t be afraid to make modifications at the restaurant and ask for things on the side or eliminate things from the meal.

• Log everything and be honest when keeping your food diary. I use the app on my phone called My Fitness Pal. I log everything, even when I eat that 2nd piece of cake or have a 2nd helping of a meal. Try your best to not overestimate the calories you burn on exercise and underestimate what you are eating. The only person you are hurting is yourself. I have discovered that the calories for exercise in MFP are a lot higher than what you actually burn. I invested in a heart rate monitor to better track my burn and that has helped me tremendously.

• Switch your food and exercise routine up every few months. I switch up what I eat and my exercise routine every few months so my body does not get used to the same thing and routine.

• Turn your negative thoughts into positive ones! Turn the “I cant’s” into “I WILL’S!” Speaking from someone who never thought it was possible to lose the amount of weight I have lost, it is possible. Figure out what works for you and your body and do it. You CAN do it need to BELIEVE you can do it!!

This is fantastic! I agree with all of this advice, and I got a couple of new ideas. Thanks for posting!

OP - I started out with 165 pounds to lose. I'm almost halfway there after a year! You really just have to take it one day at a time and stay positive when the inevitable week of disappointing weight loss hits. It has helped me to have a visible reminder of how far I've come and what I'm working on - it's a charm bracelet that I wear almost every day. I get a new charm each time I lose 10 pounds (really looking forward to getting my 80 pound charm soon!) Wearing it keeps me focused on my goals, can't tell you how much I love this bracelet!
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It was helpful for me to realize that whether a person has ten pounds to lose or 100, they have to do the same thing. Eat well and exercise. Then maintain, by continuing to eat well and exercise. If you think about it that way I find it easier to get a grip on.

Also, one day at a time. I forgive myself for bad or questionable choices in the past. There is no beginning and end, there is just good choices today.
  • correamorales
    Options
    any special diet or shakes? a tips?
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1. Be patient. There is no magic pill to lose all the weight overnight or in 2 weeks.
    2. don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day and eat bad or blow off your exercise. Get back on the horse and do better the next day.
    3. Drink lots of water.
    4. Find exercises that you don't hate. If you hate it, you're not nearly as likely to keep up with it.
  • bushokie
    Options
    thank you
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    You're getting great advice. I lost 100lbs in a year or so. Here's my favourite go-to page for info and advice if you need any more answers. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • kristiontheinside
    kristiontheinside Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Going on special diets or drinking weight loss shakes are a recipe for disaster. Eat what you are supposed to eat (get enough calories and right nutrition) and you will be fine. Eat below TDEE but never below BMR. The only shakes you need to drink are protein shakes to go along with strength training to help build muscle.
  • Lattegurl
    Lattegurl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice
  • bushokie
    Options
    bump
  • channadugger
    Options
    I bought a package of cookies i don't normally buy. for every 4 pounds I lose, I get to eat one. for every 20 pounds I lose, I get to buy a new outfit (or two depending on price).
    I love this idea! Most def gonna try this.:happy:
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The biggest one of all is not to give up.
    Have a bad day? Tomorrow is a new one. Don't give up.
    Exercising is hard? It gets easier. Don't give up.
    Set goals, both big and small. Celebrate your victories. Reward yourself for milestones. Feel free to brag. [And I know this should be obvious, but I'll say it anyway, don't celebrate with food! I celebrated losing 100 lbs by buying a badass bike that I could barely ride a week ago. But you know.....don't give up.]
    Recognize that some accomplishments have nothing to do with the scale.
    Start small---little changes do add up, like taking the stairs more often or parking a little further away or not letting someone drop you at the door of your destination.
    Make better choices. At some point, you WILL notice your body telling you that there is a difference between junk and fuel.
    Find an exercise you like. Try new things. Do you have limited mobility? So did I, so I swam. When I started out it hurt to walk from my home to my car, my car to my job, etc. Swimming took the pressure of all that weight off of my joints. Turns out I'm good at it too.
    Set goals that have nothing to do with the scale. Right now I'm training for a (sprint) triathlon. I'm sure that the training WILL translate to better health results.
    Don't be afraid to ask for help and advice. Filter what works for you. But don't give up.
    Surround yourself with a good support network. MY MFP friends rock my socks.

One last piece of advice: DON'T GIVE UP!
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Recognize that you don't have to give up the foods you love completely. Just moderate.

Also, don't beat yourself up over a bad day or two.

Find things to keep you busy...stay away from the television, work more hours, whatever you can to avoid boredom/depression binges.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Excellent tips, definitely bookmarking this page. :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Set a realistic end date. Pad it by maybe 10-15%. Set achievable interim goals for accomplishments. Reward yourself with something like a toy, or clothing or whatever for a significant interim goal. I got a tatoo at 50 pounds and I'm going for a russian branches massage when I get the last 7 pounds off.

I took maybe 20 days off out of a year an a half, but some days I wasn't off because I took a half hour walk. 1/2 hour of exercise, whatever it may be a day. That and keep an eye on your numbers, I made a point of exercising for calories to eat more.

That's all I got.
  • bushokie
    Options
    nice thank you
  • lady_x98
    Options
    This was a very inspiring post!!!!:smile:
  • lady_x98
    Options
    Made by ajominy
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!