Eating back lifting calories?

Options
I go to gym 6 days a week solely to lift weights during my time using MFP I haven't logged any of my strength workouts as I have no idea how to measure them and my workouts range from 45-90minutes.
I also play basketball 3 nights a week and currently don't eat back the calories from this as well.

My question is could not eating back these calories have a negative effect on me? And also any suggestions firstly on if it is ideal to eat back calories from lifting and also how to get an accurate idea of the actual calories burned when lifting weights (I heard heart rate monitors only work for aerobic exercise)

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    whats your TDEE How many calories do you eat a day?

and how much do you burn at gym daily ?
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My BMR according to MFP is 2521

TDEE according to the average of some online calculators is around 3500

Currently eat 2300 a day.

And i have no idea what i burn at the gym how do you measure this?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Time your actual lifting time at the gym.... not just the time you are physically at the gym. Stopwatch useful.

Use MFP to calculate an APPROXIMATION of calories burned for lifting.

It depends on your daily calorie goal as to whether it has a negative effect on weight and it depends on your goals... are you looking to see the scales down or are you looking to reduce body fat? Are you looking to shrink down or get ripped and bulked up?

Nutrition needs to be tailored to the individual so you will get a whole array of answers on here... and some will claim different things work for the same goals for you... but its not as simple as that....
  • robabob3
    Options
    Time your actual lifting time at the gym.... not just the time you are physically at the gym. Stopwatch useful.

Thanks I didn't even think of this, and I am trying to lose weight and bodyfat and maintain as much muscle as possible.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options

Thanks I didn't even think of this, and I am trying to lose weight and bodyfat and maintain as much muscle as possible.

Have you stuck to eating 2300calories a day ?
    If so what is your weekly weight loss around

If you losing too much weight too fast then definitely eat your calories back because that will most likely put you near the 2800 range which chances are you will still lose weight . Many factors to consider , lean body mass , body fat percentage , your goal (lose fat and maintain muscle) . You don't want to create to large of a deficit .
  • robabob3
    Options
    In a sense i stick to the 2300 calories, I'm not to strict daily I prefer to hit my weekly calories so some days I eat a bit less some days a bit more but always by the end of the week I am very close to my weekly allowed calories.

On average i lose between 750-1.2kg a week. (roughly 1.5-2.3 pounds a week)

What would you define as too much weight? I still have a lot of weight to go.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    around 1kg a week seems fine if you are 25+ body fat .

No need to eat back calories if you are losing at that rate . Id eat back calories maybe once or twice a week to prevent muscle loss and load up on some glycogen / get in a reefed to level out leptin, glycogen etc...

Try eating back calories and track your weight loss . If your weight doesn't move don't eat back calories .