Has anybody felt like..

Options
Has anybody felt like when they stopped labeling food as "cheat" food or "bad" food, they actually stopped craving for it? Like the thrill is gone.

This is what's happening to me right now. I've been on a very strict, low calorie, low carb diet for a while and when I maintained after that, I would binge on carbs when I could and say F it, I'll just eat some more since I cheated anyway or like have more chocolate than I should've since it's cheat day even after having a burger or having rice! But I started counting calories and learned if it fits my calories for today, it wouldn't be cheating. So I can eat what I want but because of this I try to choose food that would be worth eating now and the chocolates or bread, rice can wait until next time because I don't feel like it anymore. "Bad" "cheat" food have lost the appeal, the thrill. Now they're just normal food that are high in calories per serving and I know that measly serving wont even satisfy me as much as a plate of heaping veggies and some grilled chicken or something.

I mean sure, I don't eat "clean" all the time but the need to have some chocolate, cake, ice cream, alcohol has died down compared to when I started maintaining in June. It's like ehhh, had it already. It's just weird but it's a good thing right?

Replies

• Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No food should be considered forbidden because everything in moderation is not bad for you. If you start labeling foods as "Foods I can Eat" and "Foods I can not Eat", (at least for me anyway) I start craving for it. I take the approach that if I have the calories and I want a coke go for it... The same goes for chocolate, Ice Cream and healthy foods as well....
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh to be at that stage would amazing... So definitely a good thing, I think.
  • JennyBech
    JennyBech Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are definitely right. I have friends that have been trying to encourage to me follow specific diets like the "cabbage soup" diet or the no carbs diet. In the back of my mind I know that once I stop that kind of diet I will be eating carbs, sweets, ice cream like it is going out of style.

I like being able to eat whatever I want in moderation. I also like myfitnesspal because if I go over my calorie intake a bit, I can plan for more exercising and it can be offset.

Have a great day and thanks for the great post.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific cheat day or anything like that. If I want to eat corn chips and bean dip, I make it into a dinner -- and weirdly it has a lot of fiber, calcium and protein so it's not that bad.

I did want potato chips today, so I got the little mini-bags that we got in school lunches. Strangely, once I was in possession of those, my urge to eat them lessened. I'll eat them at some point, but just the idea that I had them if I wanted them seemed to calm the cravings.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i eat all the food.... in moderation!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    But I started counting calories and learned if it fits my calories for today, it wouldn't be cheating. So I can eat what I want but because of this I try to choose food that would be worth eating . Now they're just normal food that are high in calories per serving.

Edited for you. This is correct now^^^^
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    No food should be considered forbidden because everything in moderation is not bad for you. If you start labeling foods as "Foods I can Eat" and "Foods I can not Eat", (at least for me anyway) I start craving for it. I take the approach that if I have the calories and I want a coke go for it... The same goes for chocolate, Ice Cream and healthy foods as well....

That's true but going on a diet program which restricts your food intake and labels certain food as "bad" and "good" even fruits as "bad" or "good" for months, I got kind of used to it and food scared me, like they gave food lists of definite "no no's" for maintaining. The program also banished carbs! Lol Fine, I lost weight. The program worked but I did not want to have that kind of mind with regards to food. I had to fix it. The thought of eating cake today for a cheat day spiraled into eating more "cheat" food. I didn't want that so I changed my approach to maintaining and didn't follow their guidelines. I've lost 3 more lbs since, eating what I want, when I want.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Oh to be at that stage would amazing... So definitely a good thing, I think.

Yay!! Gotta admit though, it took some time.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    You are definitely right. I have friends that have been trying to encourage to me follow specific diets like the "cabbage soup" diet or the no carbs diet. In the back of my mind I know that once I stop that kind of diet I will be eating carbs, sweets, ice cream like it is going out of style.

I like being able to eat whatever I want in moderation. I also like myfitnesspal because if I go over my calorie intake a bit, I can plan for more exercising and it can be offset.

Have a great day and thanks for the great post.

Cabbage soup diet!! Lol I was on a low carb diet. Yeah!!! That's the thing. When the diet stops, and then what?? Yes, I agree. It helps to have MFP to keep me in check but there are times when it's so difficult to log food when I eat out! Hope you have a great day too!
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my craving for chocolate (and lotsa bread with butter!) has definately gone down since calorie counting. I I want it I figure out how to have it - kinda takes the fun outta being 'naughty'!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Good for you OP.

It feels great not to have "good" or "bad" foods, but just food.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    I don't have a specific cheat day or anything like that. If I want to eat corn chips and bean dip, I make it into a dinner -- and weirdly it has a lot of fiber, calcium and protein so it's not that bad.

I did want potato chips today, so I got the little mini-bags that we got in school lunches. Strangely, once I was in possession of those, my urge to eat them lessened. I'll eat them at some point, but just the idea that I had them if I wanted them seemed to calm the cravings.

I love it when I crave for something and it turns out really really healthy!! Lol

I'm like that too! I buy something and keep it in the pantry or fridge sometimes I forget it's there and the feeling kind of passes. I have some out of guilt sometimes but the feeling of satisfaction I thought I'd get from it wasn't really achieved. So ehhh.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    i eat all the food.... in moderation!

I could never get how people did this before. It was like OMG I had to have it all since it's cheat day or cheat food! There's no tomorrow!!!

But then tomorrow came and I realized I can have cake again, and the next day and the next and something in my mind just clicked. Normal food. No more thrill. No longer excited. I think I had to reach my saturation point. Lol
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Yeah, my craving for chocolate (and lotsa bread with butter!) has definately gone down since calorie counting. I I want it I figure out how to have it - kinda takes the fun outta being 'naughty'!

Yeah! Me too!! High five! Lol I love bread tooooo!
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Good for you OP.

It feels great not to have "good" or "bad" foods, but just food.

Thank you. It really does! Changed how I am too. No longer hesitant to go out and have fun because I know there will be "bad" food.
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good thing. It means YOU are controlling your relationship with food instead of it controlling you.

Food is fuel and ALL the foodz have their place. You're in a good place. :drinker:
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Definitely a good thing. It means YOU are controlling your relationship with food instead of it controlling you.

Food is fuel and ALL the foodz have their place. You're in a good place. :drinker:

Yeah, I didn't want food to control me anymore!!! It was frustrating.

Now to work on upping my calories!! Lol