Question on how to post exercise

repochick
repochick Posts: 40 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi Everyone,
I have a question on how I post my exercise. I am currently walking 2-4 miles a day. Monday I walked 4 miles, yesterday I walked 3 miles and today I walked 2 because I am a bit sore. But my question is this..

I live in the sticks and live on a dirt road. The walking I do is on sand/loose gravel/dirt road with a lot of hills. I know even though I calculate the minutes I walk, I think I should be putting it in for more because of the type of turf I am walking on. That had to add some kind of impact to my walk. The question is how do I do it????

Right now I have been putting as so many minutes for uphill, moderate pace and 3.0 walking dog. I just feel like I am not counting enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jenn

Replies

• ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    You should get a HRM, that way it will account for the extra work with the inclines, not just based on your time.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    I wouldn't adjust the time at all, but if you think you burn more cals than it shows, you can just change the number before saving the info.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Heart rate monitor!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    It's probably better to put in slightly less than you think anyway. Studies show that people consistently over-estimate their exercise and under-estimate what they eat. Plus at lot of us have found on here that the calories MFP gives us when we first start out are consistently higher than what the HRM says we are burning.
  • repochick
    repochick Posts: 40 Member
    OK Thanks Everyone. Guess I have to look into a HRM. I have a pedometer but it never works. Today I walked 2 miles and it said I walked over 6000 steps!!! I walked 4 the other day and it said i walked 209! LOL
    Anyone recommend a good one?
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.