Building muscle at home?

Options

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly want to loose weight, however I do want to loose some body fat that I'm carrying on my tummy, bum, thighs and hips. There isn't loads of it, but it's still there. I also want to get super toned, not particularly 'muscley', but very fit and very toned.
    I was eating a small calorie defecit to lpose the body fat (along with cardio and strength) but want to build a bit of muscle at the same time! :)

Don't worry about getting super muscley. You do not have the testosterone required to build massive muscles. I don't even have the testosterone required to build massive muscles :p.
    Eat at maintenance and lift weights. Your body will recomposition (fat - muscle) itself over time.

Ah right ok, so if I work out enough (and eat at maintenance) my body fat should eventually become muscle?
    I thought I'd need to loose the body fat so that you could see the toned muscles that are hidden underneath (can you tell this is all new to me, I've exervised for a while but never really thought any more into it).

So should I up my protein? I'm currently trying to keep at what MFP has set me at (50 something I think), should it be more (I weigh about 125lbs).

Also my current calorie net total goal is 1500, is this about right? I do work a part time office job of about 15-20 hours a week, however I'm an extremely busy person and the rest of my time 7am - 9pm most days is spent on my feet rushing around, usual motherly/household/garden duties plus loads of animals and dogs to walk etc (I don't count any of this as exercise as I do it every day). I was estimating this was about right for a 10% deficit, what does everyone else think? Also sometimes I eat under my net calories sometimes up to 400 under, should I not do this?

When I started this I never thought it would be so complicated!! :P

Did you read the Scooby site?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

In short, eat 1g protein per pound of body weight per day.

Eat about 10% under your TDEE or check calculator.

Eat fresh food.

Do strength and cardio.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly want to loose weight, however I do want to loose some body fat that I'm carrying on my tummy, bum, thighs and hips. There isn't loads of it, but it's still there. I also want to get super toned, not particularly 'muscley', but very fit and very toned.
    I was eating a small calorie defecit to lpose the body fat (along with cardio and strength) but want to build a bit of muscle at the same time! :)

Don't worry about getting super muscley. You do not have the testosterone required to build massive muscles. I don't even have the testosterone required to build massive muscles :p.
    Eat at maintenance and lift weights. Your body will recomposition (fat - muscle) itself over time.

Ah right ok, so if I work out enough (and eat at maintenance) my body fat should eventually become muscle?
    I thought I'd need to loose the body fat so that you could see the toned muscles that are hidden underneath (can you tell this is all new to me, I've exervised for a while but never really thought any more into it).

So should I up my protein? I'm currently trying to keep at what MFP has set me at (50 something I think), should it be more (I weigh about 125lbs).

Also my current calorie net total goal is 1500, is this about right? I do work a part time office job of about 15-20 hours a week, however I'm an extremely busy person and the rest of my time 7am - 9pm most days is spent on my feet rushing around, usual motherly/household/garden duties plus loads of animals and dogs to walk etc (I don't count any of this as exercise as I do it every day). I was estimating this was about right for a 10% deficit, what does everyone else think? Also sometimes I eat under my net calories sometimes up to 400 under, should I not do this?

Yes, if you are eating at maintenance and lifting than your body will use fat cells for energy and you will see more muscle definition. This is a slow process, but it's worth it.
    You probably need a little bit more food. My wife is 120 and eats around 1800 for maintenance.
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    This can tell you a little bit better.
    I can say that you probably do need to up your protein a a bit. That calculator will tell you exactly, but I'd say around 100g should be adequate.
    Don't eat your exercise calories back if you use the calculator.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com. shotofadrenaline.net, uniquebodyweightexercises.com. globalbody weighttraining.com and hte already mentioned YAYOG are some great resources for exercises.
    There is always a way to make things more difficult. If you want to lift "heavy", just find a difficulty level that only allows you to do 4-8 reps.

And yes I would try to bump your protein closer to 100.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Did you read the Scooby site?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

In short, eat 1g protein per pound of body weight per day.

Eat about 10% under your TDEE or check calculator.

Eat fresh food.

Do strength and cardio.

Nonsense. Cardio isn't needed to lose fat.
    Do cardio if you like cardio. It's healthy for your heart and lungs, but it is not necessary for recomposition or fat loss.

ETA: eat fresh food if you like it. Eat processed food if you like it more. It makes no difference as long as you meet your macros.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'll put this simple & my opinion.

1) Building muscle unless you're in a surplus from experience is a slow, boring & pointless experience.

2) Building muscle requires weight training, not a few press-ups and crunches.

3) 1g of protein per body weight, but as scottaworley suggested, 100g should be fine at your weight.

4) What you eat does NOT matter, it's the calorie/macro content.

5) Cardio is NOT needed for fat loss or for any other reason than health.

6) Strength Training witih weights 3x a week for 30-45 minutes is ALL you need to get the body you want.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you will get bulky...cease and desist immediately ...
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Sorry. I have had success with scooby.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I'll put this simple & my opinion.

1) Building muscle unless you're in a surplus from experience is a slow, boring & pointless experience.

2) Building muscle requires weight training, not a few press-ups and crunches.

3) 1g of protein per body weight, but as scottaworley suggested, 100g should be fine at your weight.

4) What you eat does NOT matter, it's the calorie/macro content.

5) Cardio is NOT needed for fat loss or for any other reason than health.

6) Strength Training witih weights 3x a week for 30-45 minutes is ALL you need to get the body you want.

What did scottaworley say about 100g? You got secret info?

"I can say that you probably do need to up your protein a a bit. That calculator will tell you exactly, but I'd say around 100g should be adequate. "
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Sorry, Ritchie.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Will you build meathead muscle, not a chance.. but you gain strength you gain definition. Everyone harps about the ability to build muscle only in a surplus which isn't entirely true. If you want to build super massive power lifter muscles yes you need an ample surplus to build large muscles. Your body uses those extra calories to repair/grow your muscles. But on a healthy balanced diet with plenty of protein, you body will still have enough fuel to rebuild your muscles, and through continued working they will grow, not fast, not huge, but they will grow. Yes a handful of crunches and a few pushups now and then will not get your results very fast, but from your post it seems like your aren't worried about bulking up over night, you just wish to tone and define what you are working with. So good luck.
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone for all the info.

Yes I am not bothered about bulking up overnight, in fact my main aim is to become fitter and healthier, eat more balanced and nutrivious meals and get in superb shape. My ultimate aim is to have a super toned bod (I would say I'm a bit of the way there, my arms are pretty toned and I'm slim just need to rid a small bit of body fat round the middle lol), but am aware this will be a slow process and that is fine.

On average I ho to the gym 4 times a week for an hour and do a combination of cardio 80% and strength 20%. I also try amd do some toning at home as first mentioned which I'm just beginning to introduce weights into to make it more challenging. I also was running 3 miles a couple of times a week but had to give this up when I got shin splints a couple of weeks back. I want to keep the cardio as my overall fitness is important to me, but I will concentrate a more on the strength side of things.

I'll definitely look at all these websites and at the calculator.

So I should up my calories a little but not eat my exercise calories back?
    I'll also look into upping my protein, and healthy ways of doing this.

This is going to seem like a really silly question to all of you now, but please bare in mind I'm new to this, I've heard of macros but have no idea what they are, can someone tell me so I don't feel so stupid! :P

Thanks again everyone your input is appreciated :)
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Thanks very muvh everyone for all the info.

Yes I am not bothered about bulking up overnight, in fact my main aim is to become fitter and healthier, eat more balanced and nutrivious meals and get in superb shape. My ultimate aim is to have a super toned bod (I would say I'm a bit of the way there, my arms are pretty toned and I'm slim just need to rid a small bit of body fat round the middle lol), but am aware this will be a slow process and that is fine.

On average I ho to the gym 4 times a week for an hour and do a combination of cardio 80% and strength 20%. I also try amd do some toning at home as first mentioned which I'm just beginning to introduce weights into to make it more challenging. I also was running 3 miles a couple of times a week but had to give this up when I got shin splints a couple of weeks back. I want to keep the cardio as my overall fitness is important to me, but I will concentrate a more on the strength side of things.

This is going to seem like a really silly question to all of you now, but please bare in mind I'm new to this, I've heard of macros but have no idea what they are, can someone tell me so I don't feel so stupid! :P

Macros are protein carbs fat
  • xmel123x
    Options
    And please excuse the spelling mistakes I'm on my phone! :)
  • xmel123x
    Options
    Thanks very muvh everyone for all the info.

Macros are protein carbs fat

Ah right thanks! :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The best way to retain muscle when trying to also lose fat is to do high *intensity* strength training. That means doing things that are quite difficult for YOU to do, or what is usually called "lifting heavy."

Your body is smart. It does what it thinks it needs to do in order to keep you alive. So when you are consistently giving it less calories than it needs to maintain its current condition, it will cannibalize whatever seems wisest in order to provide energy. If you don't send it signals telling it that you need to keep all the muscle you currently possess, it will go after that (because if you are consistently in a deficit it thinks you can't get enough food and initially wants to hold onto fat stores in case you are starving).

The best way to tell it that you need ALL THE MUSCLE is to perform tasks that are VERY difficult. The general consensus is that heavy compound barbell lifts are the best bang for your buck here, as they work your entire body in a fast and efficient manner.

So: Ideal would be strength training with weights 3 or so times a week, full body, doing 3-5 sets of whatever weight you can do 4-6 reps of per set. In the absence of that, bodyweight is better than nothing.

TL;DR--Cut out some cardio, replace with high intensity weight training, and forget "toning" cause it doesn't exist.
  • xmel123x
    Options
    The best way to retain muscle when trying to also lose fat is to do high *intensity* strength training. That means doing things that are quite difficult for YOU to do, or what is usually called "lifting heavy."

Your body is smart. It does what it thinks it needs to do in order to keep you alive. So when you are consistently giving it less calories than it needs to maintain its current condition, it will cannibalize whatever seems wisest in order to provide energy. If you don't send it signals telling it that you need to keep all the muscle you currently possess, it will go after that (because if you are consistently in a deficit it thinks you can't get enough food and initially wants to hold onto fat stores in case you are starving).

The best way to tell it that you need ALL THE MUSCLE is to perform tasks that are VERY difficult. The general consensus is that heavy compound barbell lifts are the best bang for your buck here, as they work your entire body in a fast and efficient manner.

So: Ideal would be strength training with weights 3 or so times a week, full body, doing 3-5 sets of whatever weight you can do 4-6 reps of per set. In the absence of that, bodyweight is better than nothing.

TL;DR--Cut out some cardio, replace with high intensity weight training, and forget "toning" cause it doesn't exist.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess I was in the mindset that if I have a calorie defecit that body fat should go, but obviously its not as simple as that especially if I want to build muscle.

Currently I lift for 2 sets of 12, so I need to up my weights and do less reps but more sets.

At the gym the machines they have and I use are all the arm ones (which also work your back and chest), and the two leg machines that work front and back leg muscles. Are there any muscles I'm missing that I should try and include?
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So, I see there is no way to avoid a future gym membership...
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess I was in the mindset that if I have a calorie defecit that body fat should go, but obviously its not as simple as that especially if I want to build muscle.

Currently I lift for 2 sets of 12, so I need to up my weights and do less reps but more sets.

At the gym the machines they have and I use are all the arm ones (which also work your back and chest), and the two leg machines that work front and back leg muscles. Are there any muscles I'm missing that I should try and include?

You should focus on Barbell Training and a few basic exercises..

Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat, Chin ups/Pull ups, Over head press

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

something like this.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    So, I see there is no way to avoid a future gym membership...

Sure there is. I train barbell compounds at home. The stuff you need to get started isn't much different than a 1 year gym membership most places and it's safe, you can use it whenever you want, and it's yours forever.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    You should focus on Barbell Training and a few basic exercises..

Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat, Chin ups/Pull ups, Over head press

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

something like this.

Yeah I'd stop concentrating so much on arms and start thinking about large muscles. All the leg muscles, including glutes, back, core, and the shoulder complex. Compound barbell lifts will get all of those, but be certain that you study up on them or get a trainer to give you a demo. Personally I prefer Starting Strength over Stronglifts but that's another TL;DR conversation.

If you still find barbells too intimidating, look up and work on dumbbell variations of bench press and overhead press to start, plus chin up/pull ups (assisted if you need to to start; most gyms have that setup), dumbbell rows, walking lunges and goblet squats, glute-ham raises, and weighted hyperextensions. Quick youtube searches will reveal a wealth of info on all of those.

Barbells are king tho.