Spaghetti Squash

Options
Good morning MFP friends! I have made spaghetti squash 2 times now, and just cannot seem to get the consistency right! How do you cook yours? How long? What temp?

Replies

• Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I cook mine at 450 but it depends on the size, I also put some garlic on mine if it small I cook it for half an hour but if its big I do an hour.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Is there an easier way to cook it other than baking it and then scrapping out the insides?
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have tried it a couple of times and it hasn't worked for me either. Julienned zucchini works out much better.
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    you can cut it in half place it in a shallow pan. with water cover and microwave it. The scrape out the insides. Unfortunately due to the stringy consistency there is no other way. I prefer the baking method.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually cook mine at 375 or 400 for about 45-60 minutes. I can't really explain how I know when it's done. You could always give it about 35 minutes and then do an experimental 'fluff' on the edge with a fork to see if it looks right. If not, check it every 10 minutes until you think it's done. I usually know it's very close to being done when there's a bit of water pooling in the halves and the skin around the edges gets a little shrivelled.

I've made it in the microwave before, too, and it only took about 10 or 15 minutes for a medium sized squash. I didn't like the texture as much, though.
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I Bake mine for an hour at 4oo degrees no matter the size. I usually get a small one
  • rachellangdon1974
    rachellangdon1974 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cooked mine at 375 for 1 hour and 10 minutes...still seemed kind of crunchy. Is that just the way it is and I am expecting it to be a bit softer, like pasta? Maybe I have been making it right the entire time but expecting something different :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    you can cut it in half place it in a shallow pan. with water cover and microwave it. The scrape out the insides. Unfortunately due to the stringy consistency there is no other way. I prefer the baking method.

this is how i do mine since i dont like it crunchy. its also faster and doesnt use any of my precious propane to bake.
  • billuaa
    billuaa Posts: 56
    Options
    Do you cook it with inside down? Thats how i do it, and its not crunchy. I also put garlic powder on mine before and then put it in a skillet with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and more garlic powder to dry it out a lil so its no so watery.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It is crunchier than pasta and only in name does it have any resemblance at all, so if your somehow looking for it to replace pasta, sorry, not going to happen. I like SS with parm, roasted garlic a few herbs and some EVOO........
  • treegnome8604
    Options
    I cut it in half scrape/cut out all the seeds and set it down flat in a baking dish, appx I inch of water, bake 45-60 min @ 400. If for some reason it's not as soft and tender as you would like, you can either put it in the microwave for a couple of min w/little water or in a microwavable steamer container or you can boil it for a couple of min. until desired tenderness is reached.
    Goes GREAT with shrimp, broccoli, carrots and Alfredo sauce. Or use zucchini and squash slices as a veggie. Pairs up great and is VERY low in calories if you find the right sauce.
  • LaurieN55
    Options
    I cook mine in the microwave; I cut the squash in half length-wise, scrape out the seeds, put half the squash in a microwave-safe dish and fill this half squash with water, then put the other half of the squash on top like a hat. I then set the level to high and microwave for ten minutes. Careful...it's going to be hot, hot, hot! Using oven mitts, I empty out the remaining water from the squash and with a fork, scrape the squash innards into a bowl. Hope this is helpful!
  • rachellangdon1974
    Options
    The first time I made it, I made some homemade turkey meatballs and paired it with a roasted red pepper sauce and it was delish (kinda crunchy..but I ate it anyways..). Last night, I roasted some garlic, sautéed some onions and threw some of the weight watchers cheddar triangle cheese (like laughing cow cheese) in it and it tastes JUST like alfredo. It is a tad crunchy again..but I will microwave it a bit longer. I love how low in calories it is compared to pasta.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually nuke mine. How long depends on the size and freshness. I usually start with 5 min on high, then test it with a fork. If it doesn't shred off easily, I put it in for 2 min at a time just until it will.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It is crunchier than pasta and only in name does it have any resemblance at all, so if your somehow looking for it to replace pasta, sorry, not going to happen.

If you are looking to replace the taste of pasta that's true. But if you are looking for a lower calorie and/or carb way to enjoy your favorite pasta sauce, it fills that need quite nicely.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've only ever cooked mine in the microwave but haven't done it in awhile. Just don't cook it too long it will explode in there. lol
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I've only ever cooked mine in the microwave but haven't done it in awhile. Just don't cook it too long it will explode in there. lol

Stab it several times with a knife before cooking to prevent exploding. Or cut in half and scoop out the seeds before nuking.
  • rachellangdon1974
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! I think I will try the microwave method next. Maybe it will be a bit less crunchy :)
  • treehugginmom
    treehugginmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey...I cut the squash into equal sized pieces, put it in a microwave safe dish and some kind of lid on it with about 1 inch of water on the bottom of the dish. Cook for about 10 min. on high, maybe less, (microwaves have different power levels)...just check it halfway thru and you will see if it is starting to soften by pricking the "meat" with a fork. If it starts to come apart fairly easily, it's done. I LOVE this type of squash, one of my all-time faves. ;p
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My husband & I prefer to roast ours cut side up like this:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/baked-spaghetti-squash-0-pts.html