Early days but very excited.

Options
Hi, I'm a 39 year old male, who has probably spent the last 20 years being overweight. Loving to eat,drink and have never really given weight loss a thought.

I have thought about diet and exercise for about the last 6 months, but only thought about it.

I want to loose weight but I don't believe I have the will power and suppose I fear the failing. Like most I love to eat and enjoy a beer. For me I believe I need to make some very major life changes to be a success, hence the fear of not being able to sustain it.

Last Thursday after about the 6 visit to the doctors with the same problem, one doctor suggested what I have known for a long time, maybe I should lose some weight.

I came home and had the most serious think about what I need and want to do, again these thoughts in my head telling me I can't do it. My thoughts telling me not to bother as I will only jack it in after a couple of days.

So I eventually decided to give it a go.

Whilst at the doctor, he weighed me and I was 110kg, I estimate that at about 17st 4lb

I went out and bought some bathroom scales. Looked for apps on the iPhone and found my fitness pal.

I have a bike in the garage, practically unused in the 9 years I have owned it. Also downloaded a cycling app.

Went shopping, buying totally different things from our normal shop.

This in now the start of my 6th day, I know it's very early, but for someone with very little willpower, I feel it's an achievement to be still on track and still focused.

I have been cycling 4 times in the last 5 days and knocked 6 minutes off my 4 mile off road circuit, I have been under my 1800 calorie goal every day, not touched a fizzy drink once and this is some who would drink 4/5 cans a day easily, not had a beer.

I weighed myself last night and I came in at 16st 13lb. To say I'm delighted with this is an under statement.

I still have this demon telling my I won't stick it out. How do I get rid of this? Anyone else gone through the same?

Currently I'm still very focused and will be out on the bike in the next few hours.

After some advice, on this demon and any words of motivation, if anyone can help?

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• Riggers1612
    Riggers1612 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Anyone got any tips for staying on track?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    My only real tips for staying on track is to do something that is sustainable, and have patience.

Patience is probably the most important thing when it comes to weight loss. You've done great on your initial loss, but bear in mind it may not always fall off every week, and don't be discouraged if it doesn't. Weight loss isn't linear.

As for sustainability, if you enjoy a beer, make room for it if you want one. Don't cut anything out, just make sure you can fit it in. Cutting out all the things you love will make this unejoyable, and therefore more difficult to stick to.

One last thing; make sure you are eating enough. Too many set their weight loss target as too high per week, or are afraid to eat back their exercise calories. It's not sustainable, you will end up stalling your weight loss, feeling tired and eventually eating all the chocolate in sight.

Keep up the good work and good luck. :smile:
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Small changes bring about big results.

Well done for sticking to it and improving your bike ride time - the weightloss is fantastic!

Don't think of this as a diet, think of it as healthier living for the rest of your life.

If you want a beer have a beer, just get straight back on track and don't feel a failure - you need time out and should be able to incorporate nights out with friends/family. I just keep an eye on what I'm eating and do a little extra exercise.

Someone on here wrote even if they don't lose weight for a while the healthier food and regular exercise means that they are still doing their body good and getting fitter and healthier all the time so don't give up, just incorporate the fitness into your day so that it becomes the norm. Just think back to how miserable you were a couple of months ago and this will help keep you motivated.

I go walking after work for an hour most nights and even the weather doesn't put me off because from January this year I have knocked 20 minutes off the same distance I used to walk so while I may not have lost much weight I know in myself that I am a lot fitter than I was and for me this is what its all about.

From the sound of your post you are in the right frame of mind to do this so look for healthier alternatives of your favourite foods, find exercise that you enjoy and stick to it. There are lots of low fat recipes that are just as tasty as the fattening ones.

Good luck on your healthier lifestyle
  • mbaity39
    mbaity39 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but encouragement! I am in the same shoes as yourself.
    I am very early on in my plan as well with a history of failure over the years of trying and not being able to stick with it. And I worry that I won't be able to do it this time either. (almost like a self sabatoge thing!)
    I have always been over weight., even as a child. But I have also been fortunate (and maybe its my excuse becuase I haven't been and haven't needed to worry over my health because of my weight) that I've been healthy so far with no weight related health issues. I do mean healthy physically, but do worry about my mental health in being ok with not taking care of myself for myself and my family. Being over weight, no matter how many times I tell myself that I'm happy with who I am, does affect my mentality. I do like who I am, but not what I am if that makes sense.
    I turn 39 early next year and know I need/want to make a change. I'm just afraid that after my inital obsession over getting started, that I will fail- once again, and end up becoming more discouraged and resigned to accept that all I do is fail and quit trying.

Congratulations on your success so far, keep at it!
    We have to believe in ourselves and that we can, in fact, do this!
  • squishy84
    Options
    Well done!! That is awesome!

I know exactly what you're feeling - I've been trying to eat better for the last four weeks, and exercising every day. My problem is that I have never been one for exercise, so I am scared I'm going to fall off the wagon. The only thing I can say is that I take each day as it comes, and I don't deprive myself - I just don't pig out as much as I used to, and I relax a bit at the weekend (I don't log, but do still exercise).
  • mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finally investing in YOU!

Do you have specific goals in mind? I find it helpful to write down my goals. I like to make tangible goals that are easy to track, such as, I am going to work out 5 days a week vs I want to work out more. I want to drink 64oz of water a day, instead of I need to drink more water.

I also like to make small step goals so I don't get overwhelmed or discouraged if it is taking a long time to get to my big final goals. Then I find a way to reward myself for meeting each benchmark. Nothing like splurging on food, or treating myself to ice cream, but something like getting a pedicure, buying new shoes, or going to a movie (skipping the popcorn of course!). Find something that you don't normally do or get and would look forward to.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I'd love to follow you on your journey and help encourage and support you!
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!

I think the trick for sticking to it is just focus on the day that you are on. If you try to imagine forever and ever it can be discouraging. I also find that if you just focus on one day then it's easier to pick yourself back up if you had a bad day yesterday. .
  • Riggers1612
    Options
    I have set my weight loss goal, initially at 1 stone loss. I sure if I can stick with this I can loose more. I didn't want to be to unrealistic at the start, as I suppose deep down I didn't think I would get this far.

My early thoughts are I would like to loose a stone then re a valuate my situation.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, from you all. It certainly helps.
  • Riggers1612
    Options
    Coming to the end of my first week and wondered if its normal to feel tired.

Still very positive, however I have felt like I need a sugar rush all day. I done some exercise and I have just had to,have a fizzy drink and a chocolate bar. I'm still ok for my calories for today
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Everyday is a new day, stay foucused and remember how far you have come! Also remember its okay to have a treat or two............every once in awhile! Stay positive.........everything else will fall in place if this is truly what you want! :flowerforyou:
  • maccas55
    maccas55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too was 17st 3lbs when I decided enough was enough and made a decision to change my poor lifestyle habits - no exercise and too large portions (and snacks in between!). I joined another paying site then later realised this site offered the same service free - the most beneficial aspect being to log everything an to keep within the target set. I also joined a gym. I go about 3-4 times a week and do about 30 minutes of toning exercises and I walk the dog for about half an hour or more each day. I've lost 2lbs a week - a total loss of 18 lbs in 9 weeks and am now 15st 12. I feel great and feel so much better. I am happy to buddy up with you and anyone else, if it helps keep us both motivated.
  • Riggers1612
    Options
    I too was 17st 3lbs when I decided enough was enough and made a decision to change my poor lifestyle habits - no exercise and too large portions (and snacks in between!). I joined another paying site then later realised this site offered the same service free - the most beneficial aspect being to log everything an to keep within the target set. I also joined a gym. I go about 3-4 times a week and do about 30 minutes of toning exercises and I walk the dog for about half an hour or more each day. I've lost 2lbs a week - a total loss of 18 lbs in 9 weeks and am now 15st 12. I feel great and feel so much better. I am happy to buddy up with you and anyone else, if it helps keep us both motivated.

That's fantastic, friend request sent. Just got back from holiday and put a few pound on ????. Back on track now. Hopefully
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Get right back on track! After a vacation its so easy to say "Just one more day off. I'll start again tomorrow." NO! I've made that mistake. Start back to it full force. Those pounds gained will come off with more to follow! :)
  • Riggers1612
    Options
    I would just like to share, my thoughts at this stage.

I know im only 3 weeks in, but this seems to have become a bit of an obsession.

I am gob smacked with what I have achieved in the last 3 weeks, with help of this app and the support of friends on here.

I used to drink beer at home almost every day. As of yet I'm still to have a beer at home! I can't believe I have not been tempted, there is still beer in the fridge.

As regards to full fat coke and Pepsi, It would be common for me to drink 4-6 cans a day, again other than when I was on holiday, I have only drank low sugar vimto 7 cals a can..

I have been under my calorie goal every day, sometimes well under with th exercise taken into account.

I am now out on my mountain bike doing a 4 miles off road circuit along a local river, and have knocked 8 minuets off my first time out. Sometimes I have been out as early as 06:00. Again I can't believe this!

I have also bought a cross trainer/ exercise bike and since buying this I have done 30 mins a day combined with the 23 mins my off road circuit is taking me.

I have more energy and the first thing on my mind when I wake up is getting on those scales. To see if I have lost weight.

I was someone who would eat whatever I wanted and never gave it a thought, a very regular drinker, who was defiantly damaging his health and did little if any exercise.

I want to thank everyone involved in this site for the support, those who have added me as a friend

I know it's only very early days but here's to the future and maintaining this life change!
  • Riggers1612
    Options
    Also still on the lookout for friends to keep my on track with this new way of life. Feel free to add me
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Well done Riggers, keep it simple to start with mate. It will happen
  • jujackson1
    Options
    I have had this app for awhile, but just started actually using it. Thought that it might help me better track some calories and encourage my weight loss some more. It looks like you all are beginning to have allot of success with this app? Don't really have to many friends on here to share progress with. My only friend on here is my wife and her friend HAHAHA! Anyways, I am in the same boat as you thought you may want to trade some tips. I have lost 42 lbs. since January almost 20 lbs. in the last 30 days! Exercise and Diet combined. I really just want MFP to keep me more disciplined.