higer protein with low cal diet = more weightloss?

Options
I'm wondering if one has a higher protein diet within their daily calorie goal will lose more weight? Or will it lose more fat? (not so much on the scale, but in inches)

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    No.

A 3500 calorie deficit per week will have you lose 1lb per week, whether you get it from a diet of meat, rice & pasta, vegetables or ice cream.

The health benefits or pitfalls of any/all approaches are for you to contend with. I would presume you'd get very hungry if you ate nothing but ice cream all week, though.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't totally agree with your statement....While yes I know a calorie is a calorie no matter where its from, I thought that since protein will help to build muscle (ice cream does not) it may help one lose a bit more weight. I do have a healthy balanced diet, I was just WONDERING that if I added a bit more protein to my diet if it helped lose more weight.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You won't lose more weight, but you'll retain more muscle mass with an adequate protein diet, thus, more of what you lose will be fat.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't totally agree with your statement....While yes I know a calorie is a calorie no matter where its from, I thought that since protein will help to build muscle (ice cream does not) it may help one lose a bit more weight. I do have a healthy balanced diet, I was just WONDERING that if I added a bit more protein to my diet if it helped lose more weight.

Adding protein to your diet itself won't help you lose weight no. It's the overall calorie deficit that will
  • HappyStack
    Options
    If you're in a caloric deficit you won't build any appreciable muscle mass, unless you're undertaking some serious strength training (squats, bench, military press, deadlift, etc. with free weights), and even then your "gains" will cease after a month or two.

Your body requires adequate fat, protein and carbs to build muscle, therefore the most important aspect of gaining mass is a caloric surplus.

A higher protein diet won't result in a greater amount of weight loss any more than a high protein diet at a calorie deficit will allow you to build muscle. A 3500 calorie deficit (about 500kcal per day) per week will result in ~1lb of weight loss, period, my previous point was an extreme version of stressing how relatively unimportant calorie "quality" is for simply losing body mass.

Health is another matter, and with that being said, a general rule of thumb for health and satiety is to consume 1g of protein per lb of body mass, but it's 100% personal preference. If you want more, eat more, if you want less, eat less.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Simply put, added protein will help you keep more muscle when dieting. Also helps keep you fuller so you don't seem hungry all the time.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Protein will not help you build muscle on its own.

No one food group will give you more weight loss, weight loss simply comes from a calorie deficit. However, eating more protein may well help you as it is one of the most filling food groups, along with good fats.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    cals in vs cals out = weight loss.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

A calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.

Protein itself will not build muscle. You need a calorie surplus and heavy lifting to help build muscle.

More protein will not make you lose more weight if your overall calories are the same. Weight loss is achieved through a deficit, not the mixture of food you consume.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    A higher protein diet is no more muscle sparing than a higher carb diet if you're not doing adequate work to retain muscle mass.

Eat paleo, do an hour of cardio a day and no lifting and see what happens to your body.

Throwing in "eat more protein" without tacking on "lift weights" is misleading.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if one has a higher protein diet within their daily calorie goal will lose more weight? Or will it lose more fat? (not so much on the scale, but in inches)

You will lose more fat with a higher intake of lean protein sources.

Protein stimulates the release release of glucagon, which is the counter force hormone to insulin. Insulin is lipogenic (creates fat), while glucagon is lipolytic (breaks down fat). As has been pointed out though, it still requires a calorie deficit for overall weight loss, i.e. if you eat too much protein, your body will manage to convert the excess energy into fatty acids (liopgenesis) - yep, it can do that.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Being in a caloric deficit means you lose weight. Doesn't matter what you eat.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    More protein will help you lose eight as you will be less hungry and therefore less likely to eat over your calories. But as others have said its the deficit which does it - you lose the same eating at a deficit of doughnuts as on a deficit of vegetables!
  • stepplax
    stepplax Posts: 26
    Options
    You won't lose more weight, but you'll retain more muscle mass with an adequate protein diet, thus, more of what you lose will be fat.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I think there needs to be a differentiation between WEIGHT loss and FAT loss.

Wanna lose weight? Come in at a reasonable deficit every day.

Wanna lose fat but keep muscle? Okay, now you need to strategize. How much exercise are you willing to do? What type? Are you lifting? What volume? Doing any cardio in between? HIIT or steady-state? And on top of that, are you fueling properly for each type?

It's work to figure it out, but it pretty much runs on autopilot once you do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No.

A 3500 calorie deficit per week will have you lose 1lb per week, whether you get it from a diet of meat, rice & pasta, vegetables or ice cream.

The health benefits or pitfalls of any/all approaches are for you to contend with. I would presume you'd get very hungry if you ate nothing but ice cream all week, though.

Actually you may lose very slightly more weight as it takes more energy to digest protein rather than carbs, so your total caloric burn for the day will be slightly higher (though not noticeably) But Yes you will lose more fat with more protein, although total weight loss will be pretty much the same. Why, well if you get enough protein a higher % of your total loss will come from fat, and less from lean muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Yes, but fat loss is a combo of caloric deficit (cals in vs. cals out) and strength training, and adequate protein, with a deficit that is not too large, as this way your body will lose a higher % of fat, and less muscle. So by doing this in your 10lb loss you may lose 8 lbs of fat and 2 lbs of LBM (lean Body Mass), but if you don't lift, or get enough protein, or deficit is too larger a 10lb loss may have you lose 6 lbs of fat and 4 lbs of LBM
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

As the others have said protein in itself does not build muscle. You don't just eat a piece of steak and build muscle.

In terms of helping you lose weight, it can help you feel fuller for longer, thus keeping your calorie intake under control.

At the end of the day to lose weight its all about calories in vs calories out.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Yes, but fat loss is a combo of caloric deficit (cals in vs. cals out) and strength training, and adequate protein, with a deficit that is not too large, as this way your body will lose a higher % of fat, and less muscle. So by doing this in your 10lb loss you may lose 8 lbs of fat and 2 lbs of LBM (lean Body Mass), but if you don't lift, or get enough protein, or deficit is too larger a 10lb loss may have you lose 6 lbs of fat and 4 lbs of LBM

and this too.