Cross Country

Options
Hi everyone,

I will be a first time cross country coach in the fall. I never ran cross country (unless you count doing the warrior dash!) and really want to shape up and get ready this summer so I am prepared for the fall.

I have trained for road races (5k, 10k) and am hoping that knowledge can translate. I know hills are important but just looking for some resources or someone who can help!

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Replies

• mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school cc the coaches didn't run, when we did road work they drove behind us. I suspect a part of the reason was that they would be more available in case of a problem. Although they were in decent shape I'm sure they couldn't have kept up anyway.

I've been thinking about how we trained as I get back into running. Our knowledge of physical fitness has increased so much since then (mid 1970's). We did daily runs from 5 to 13 miles, occasional hill work, fartleck and sprints. Overall it was pretty good training, as I remember. The hard part would be that you'll have 9th graders who maybe running for the first time and seniors that have been running both track and cc for at least four years and you'll need to develop both.

Back then our special running shoes were adidas gazelles which encouraged us to land on the balls of our feet because they weren't what we would call running shoes today, no lift and little padding.

Try to make sure everyone has fun and good luck.
  • allierae14
    allierae14 Posts: 167
    Options
    Thank you! I don't want to be the kind of coach that doesn't do the work too! Looks like hills will be my new friend *sigh*
  • 1MT3
    1MT3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my second year doing cross country. My coach includes intervals, long runs, speed workouts and once a week circuits in the weight room. On weekends sometimes workouts are assigned, other days we have off. I hope this helps!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You're going to want to really familiarize yourself with the principles of running. Pick up Daniels Running Formula, Pfitinger's serious training for road racing and Better Training for Distance runners by seb coe.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    I was on a Maryland State Champion XC team in high school. Our coach was an older guy but he know how to turn us into XC runners. We had a hilly course, and we hit the hills at least twice in one week, and three times the next. mean hit them hard--hill repeats and more hill repeats! I think another portion of our success was that he taught us how to run down the hills... sounds simple but we passed many runners who would run the uphill hard, but back off on the downhill and run cautiously. In between the hilsls we did speed work (indian runs were fun) and of course distance work. He was big on stride and technique and although he didn't completely cure my naturally long stride, he taught us the importace of leg turnover to maintain speed.