How do you get out of a weight loss plateau?

Options
I started a weight loss challenge about 2 1/2 months ago. The first month I lost 8 lbs and the 2nd month I lost 2 lbs. This month I have lost nothing. I started eating 1200 calories and then I upped it to about 1600-2000 calories. Ever since my calorie increase my weight has been going up and down the same 3 pounds the last 3 weeks. I went up on my calories because I started to feel tired after workouts. Every where I look there is someone saying the way to lose weight is to eat more when before everyone was saying to eat less! It's very frustrating. I feel like I am at a plateau and I don't know whether I should cut calories, work out harder, etc etc.. p.s. I went on vacation this past week so my diet has been a little overboard.

Replies

• deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Basically you aren't on a plateau, if you just came back from vacation! Especially if you weren't on a calorie deficit and went overboard :)
    A plateau happens after at least a month or two of staying at the same weight!

I had the same weight from April to August, and finally now i dropped 2 lbs!
    And it is fine because i was still losing inches.
    Exercise, take before and after pics, take measurements. The number on the scale should not be the only thing you go by.
    And try calorie cycling, eat 1200 a day then 1800 the other then 1500 the third, as long as your weekly goal is met that should be fine. I found that to work for me, and try hitting your macros (proteins, carbs and fat).
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I suggest you keep the higher calories and ride it out a few more weeks. Patience is key when you've made changes to your plan.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    bump
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'll wait it out for two more weeks and if I'm not losing I going to assume I'm doing something wrong. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose (30 lbs) so the weight loss shouldn't be too slow.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I recently broke a plateau by calorie cycling. I started the 5:2 plan this week and finally lost a pound. I still have 29 more to go, so 1 lb a week is good for me. 2 nonconsecutive days a week I eat at a much lower cal level, then spread those extra cals over the other 5 days. My weekly cal goal didn't change, just the number I ate each day. It is working so far for me.
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week would make me a very grateful girl! I just want my weight loss to be consistent. I will look into that 5:2 calorie cycle.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    increase the intensity of your workout OR decrease cals.