From Bedridden at 490lbs to 5k runs at 295lbs.

Options
Hi everybody. Just wanted to share my story. Yeah, it's kind of a success story but the story just begun! Last New Years Eve 2012, I was rushed to the hospital couldn't walk or even crawl. It turned out that I have 5 herniated discs and bones spurs pinching and poking my nerves. I was in the hospital for a total of 5 weeks. Fought back and forth between the surgeons who wanted to do surgery and my family doctor who refused. I asked my doctor what do I need to do because I was in so much pain. And her simple answer was "LOSE WEIGHT!" I was 490lbs size 68 inch waist. Just then it FINALLy sank in. I need to do something and do something now! When I got out of the hospital in febuary Myfitnesspal was the first tool I used ( and continue to use) I heard so many good things about it. From febuary to september I lost 95lbs. That was great but I still needed help and had the gastric bypass surgery. Since then I lost another 100lbs. I'm at 295lbs, 44 inch waist right now with another 70lbs to go. I have been to the gym almost everyday and come spring I will run my first 5k. I figure why not. If I can do it at the gym I can do it in a race. My energy is through the roof! Along with Myfitnesspal I also bought a Bodymedia Fit Link Armband and they work together to let me know exactly what I am consuming and what I'm burning and to let me know if I'm reaching my goals. I can't for this summer. I have so much planned. Do couple 5k's hike the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole Wyoming and go Skydiving. Staying active is the key. I got a new lease on life and loving every minute of it.

Replies

• sirluck
    sirluck Posts: 14
    Options
    Nice story. And how are those herniated discs now?
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspirational!
    Congratulations, and best wishes for your continued success!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Congrats..sometimes that's all it takes is the doctor or a hospital visit..
  • riverbuff2
    Options
    Thanks everybody. Since I wrote that I have even lost more weight. I have hit my goal of 225lbs making that a total of 265 lbs lost. I am so active now and my herniated discs don't bother me now. ( well not all the time...lol) But I am truely Living Life and Loving it!!! God Bless and stay strong.....Stay active!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Great story, congrats!!
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic - well done!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! A big pat on the back for what you have accomplished!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic. I love hearing stories like this that use both the tools of surgery and sheer will to achieve what you may have thought a couple years ago was never possible. MFP has helped a lot of people and who every created it should be really proud.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. Since I wrote that I have even lost more weight. I have hit my goal of 225lbs making that a total of 265 lbs lost. I am so active now and my herniated discs don't bother me now. ( well not all the time...lol) But I am truely Living Life and Loving it!!! God Bless and stay strong.....Stay active!

FANTASTIC and inspirational! Congrats to you for sticking with it and making it to the goals you set!!! Wish you nothing but happiness in your new life!!!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! It is stories like yours that really keep me motivated!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, my friend!
  • ChicagoWalt
    Options
    What an amazing transformation!! Thank you for sharing and for the inspiration!!!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Enjoy your new lease on life!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    WOW you look great! Good to hear you're you're feeling better as well. :drinker:
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are nearly my twin! I was 485 and aiming for 230. Congrats on hitting your goal weight!
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good work! You didn't give up, and it paid off! Very proud of you. :wink:
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    wow! you are amazing! Thanks for sharing....

You make me realize that if you can do that, I have no excuse not to get my activity level up.... thanks for the inspiration!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    fantastic!!! You're an inspiration.
  • caitypants86
    caitypants86 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So inspirational, thanks for sharing your story.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!