Runners- advice needed

Options
The past week I've been experiencing lower back pain the day following my run. I've been stretching it out and then running again the following day. The pain does not get worse, just consistant. I run 5-6 days a week 4-5 miles each day and have done so since April this year so this is a new obstacle for me.

I've decided to take today off to see if it is possible that I'm over doing it. But any advice or experience you have had with this in the past would be helpful as well. Thanks!!!

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are taking the right approach. Rest it for a day or two and see how it goes. If it does get worse you may want to get it checked out. I was getting lower back pain after running, to the point where it hurt to sit at my desk for an extended period of time. I took a few days off from running and focused on my form (not slouching foward) and streching my lower back more after the runs and it seems to have gone away. Good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes. It sounds like you are not getting the support you need, which can place additional strain on your lower back and lead to the soreness you are describing. If your shoes are old, it may be time to replace them. If they're new, you might just need to break them in. If you haven't ever gotten your stride analyzed at a running store, you should look into it. Getting the right shoes is key.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My first thought was your shoes, too. Are they old? New? If you are wearing the right shoes for you, take a break and see how it goes. Did you recently increase your mileage or start running on a different surface (or add in hills)?
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    The shoes are the same ones I've always worn for about the past 8-10 months. My route is also the same, includes a few hills, but nothing extreme or different.
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    Probably you do need new shoes by now and taking a break is a good idea. If you're not doing much core strengthening, you may want to add that as well. When I had stopped doing yoga for a while, I found that when I got tired while running, I'd end up sort of hunched over, which hurt my back. Once I got back to it, my form improved.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My guess would be your shoes or your stride.
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    As per all the other comments,I'd day your shoes need replacing at around 500 miles - I always start getting backache when my shoes are on the way out..but that could just be me!
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i agree that you definitely need new shoes given the mileage you've put on them since april. sounds like you're logging about 80-100 miles per month... generally that means shoes might last anywhere from 4-8 months (some might argue 3-6 months even). i find it really depends on the shoes, how you run, and what you're running on (treadmill vs pavement vs track vs trails, etc). usually for me, 500 miles is a good time to start looking at new shoes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience lower back pain from running can be cured by strengthening your back through weight lifting.

A program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 contain the exercises you need.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I would never had thought the shoes.....they seem ok and aren't worn out at all but it makes total sense what everyone is saying...thanks again!