Don't give up just because you've had a minor set-back

Options
I've always fallen in the habit of giving up because of a set-back like eating really bad for a day or not losing any weight. This morning I weighed myself and gained 4 lbs even though I have been working out. It really bummed me out but I decided I would just go to the gym anyway even though I REALLY didn't want to because I figured 'what's the point, I'm still fat!". I did an hour of cardio and my mood and confidence went up. I ate healthy all day, got in a good workout, and feel pretty happy. Can't give up just because of some minor set-backs or bumps in the road.

Replies

• Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There you go, girl! Congratulations! You didn't get overweight overnight, and you won't get fit overnight. It just doesn't work that way.

It truly is the turtle who wins the race. Do the right thing, keep doing it, and don't give up!

If you need help, ask us! We're here!!!

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate the motivation and support! That's a really good point...just gotta keep working and be patient.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks, needed this. Appreciate all the support from here
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    A weight gain can be from so many things! It could be b/c you've worked out hard and muscles are retaining water or too much sodium, not enough water, hormone fluctuations. Way to keep at it and have a positive attitude!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What he said is true.... it took 20 years for me to get this way....its gunna take a while to get it off...
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I set myself back the past couple of days, and I'm struggling emotionally with it. Also, I feel tired and lethargic after eating the way I did. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm going to go for a jog this morning.
  • sabiwabi9
    sabiwabi9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear this as well. THANKS!! I can't seem to break 170 but doing everything else right. I was feeling down and disappointed with myself. This came at the right time :)
    There you go, girl! Congratulations! You didn't get overweight overnight, and you won't get fit overnight. It just doesn't work that way.

It truly is the turtle who wins the race. Do the right thing, keep doing it, and don't give up!

If you need help, ask us! We're here!!!

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • twycameron
    Options
    I almost fainted when I got on the scale this morning and had gained 4 pounds! It can really sneak up on you. I know I just have to be more vigilant as I have been slacking off the last few days. Thanks for the support!
  • Raevyns
    Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been playing fast and loose with my own rules because I'm a rebel, even when I'm the one setting the rules. It's my blessing and my curse.

However the snack foods and cocktails have been adding up. A few hundred calories over here and there and whoops! Weight gain!

I needed to read this. I was starting to get depressed about it all, feeling like a failure and like I'll never be able to get this to work despite macros and the like.
  • losing_it_2013
    losing_it_2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! The scale hasn't moved for the last three weeks and I've been feeling like a failure. Through my friends on here though I realized I was working out too much and not eating enough. I feel guilty eating back my exercise calories but realize that I need to eat (healthy and enough) in order to lose! Good luck!!!!