Insanity Motivation Dip

Options
Hi All,

I'm currently on day 7 of Insanity and i'm suffering from a severe motivational dip. I was really into it the first fews days, it was new and exciting and the fact i was barely able to move the first few days was oddly motivating. But i did my first Pure Cradio workout last night after work and it was my poorest performance yet. Now all i can think about is how hungry i am and i how i'll punch Shaun T in the face if he tells me to dig deep one more time. :explode:

I lost 2 lbs in the first 4 days which is reassuring and I'm hoping i was just extra tired last night, being a monday evening after a long day at work but please can someone reassure me that it gets easier and is worth sticking to!

Helen :smile:

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get easier, but it does get better. I was working every bit as hard on the last workout as I did on the first, but I was able to do the moves cleaner, faster and better. Pure Cardio is tough (though I personally found plyo to be the hardest for me), and if it is your first time with that workout, a poor performance is to be expected. Insanity isn't easy. It isn't meant to be. You won't be able to keep up; that's normal. At least stick it out to your second fit test. You'll be amazed how much better you do on the fit test after only two weeks. Seeing concrete improvements in your performance is a huge help with keeping yourself motivated. It can be tough. I had to give myself a pep talk each day to get myself to press play, but I did it, and I'm glad I did (my shirt is in the mail now). The body transformation is worth the effort. At the risk of getting punched in the face, dig deeper and keep going. Good luck.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi Helen, I think it was right about where you are right now that I had some motivational issues with Insanity, too. That second week, for some reason, played some mental games with me. I had to fight to push play, but I am so glad I stuck with it. You can do it, too. Just keep doing it, no matter how you feel. By that 3rd week, I craved my Insanity workouts. Now, I can't imagine NOT doing them...I'll be doing Day 30 today. Besides how I'm seeing changes in the shape of my body, losing inches, and gaining energy overall, I feel better than I've felt in a very long time. I'm at my goal weight, and I feel so much stronger. It's normal to go through the ups and downs of motivation, so don't worry....we've all been there. Feel free to lean on all of us "Insane" people on here....You are doing just fine! Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll be amazed at how much your endurance and strength will improve, and I know you'll lose weight...it's impossible not to, if you follow the program! Feel free to send me a friend request. :)
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I will starting insanity on Sept. 1st. I had posted about insanity (I've never done it before) and I got some really good feedback. I think I needed to read this post. I know that alot of the things on the DVD's will be VERY difficult for me at 236 lbs, but I have faith in myself. I'm not looking to be the "best" at it, just simply complete it.

I look at it like this-- no matter how much I struggle or overeat because of my feelings, I get back on the horse and finish this "race". I REFUSE to be my own worst enemy and sabotage myself. You are doing this for you and your overall health. Use the anger towards Shaun T to fuel you. Thats just some of the advice that was given to me.

FR me if you'd like to keep each other motivated! :)

P.s. Today makes 230 consecutive days of logging!! YAAAAY!!!

Rachael
  • hellynewman
    hellynewman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding, it's really helped! When your feeling down and tired it feels like so much effort for little reward (well, slow reward at least) and you feel all sad and pathetic and moan about how it's so unfiar that your can't lose weight by just eating pizza and cake. I think i just needed a verbal kick up the bum to keep me going! It's nice to know other people have felt the same and it's not just me being weak and lazy!
  • amye0721
    amye0721 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of month 2 of Insanity. I struggled with motivation severely both after week 1 of month 1 and week 1 of month 2. Week 1 of Month 2 was the hardest. I was weak and shaking and it was just awful. So, I took an unplanned day off and my husband lectured me about the importance of a Recovery Drink. He wasn't kidding. I started my workout again after my unplanned day of rest. He made me a fruit, almond milk whey protein concoction for after my workout. Although I am still incredibly sore, the weak and miserable feeling has gone away. You can do it! I am not overweight, but just not toned due to a severe case of mono last year. I lost ELEVEN inches in the first month...no weight though, ha! My husband hid the scale and I will not be weighing myself at all this month. :-) Don't lose motivation, don't look at the scale, eat clean and keep pushing yourself. You can do it!! And we can keep each other motivated as I have two and 1/2 weeks left...
  • aramintaaraminta
    Options
    Hi,

It never gets easier because you always have to push yourself to the max. The difference is that you get better. My first pure cardio i felt rubbish, like i couldnt keep up and that i wasn't strong enough. Now its totally different, im on week 3 and already i can do a mixture of push ups ( not great) that i couldnt do before and can get through without taking as many breaks. When you do the fitness test at the beginning of week 3 thats when you really feel good because you can see the improvements on paper. Keep motivated it is worth it!

Minty
  • martz29
    martz29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think insanity is a major psychological journey as well as a physical one. I've been through a right rollercoaster of emotions since I started. I felt the way you did on week 2 of month 1 and again in week 2 of month 2. Once you've done a particular workout a couple of times I started getting bored, I was aching and tired and just didn't want to do it anymore!! But I've had fantastic results and I'm so desperate to be able to say "I've completed insanity". I try to break it down and say ill just keep going to the next fit test. Then I just wanted to complete month 1etc etc......Now I only have ONE workout and the final fit test left now til I can finally brag that I have completed Insanity!!!

Month 2 week 2, I actually cried my way through a workout one day. I was physically and emotionally drained amd I felt like I was useless at all the exercises......when confessing this to other insaniacs, most have admitted to breaking down on at least one occasion....it's tough! But it's worth it. Keep at it and you'll get great results and feel so proud of yourself.

Just to add....on days I've found I felt a bit useless at it all, I slowed down a bit, concentrated on form rather than speed, turned my back on the DVD so I wasnt watching the experts and just concentrated on Doing my own thing....the result? I burned just as many calories, felt better about doing it and wasn't competing with the people on the screen.

Have faith in the program and just keep pressing play, even when you don't feel like it at times....you'll be glad you did xx
  • RetiredNavy_CT
    RetiredNavy_CT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm going to attempt my 2nd go at the program today. I have started once before and made to end of the 1st month and lost my motivation. Hopefully not this time! Does anyone know how many calories the program burns? Not sure what to log. Thanks!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I'm going to attempt my 2nd go at the program today. I have started once before and made to end of the 1st month and lost my motivation. Hopefully not this time! Does anyone know how many calories the program burns? Not sure what to log. Thanks!

Your best bet is to get a HRM. The calories burned can vary a lot from person to person. If you don't have one, a lot of people log it as either circuit training or interval training in the MFP database.
  • amye0721
    amye0721 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good advice. Psychological journey is a great way to say it. It's a mental battle many days for me. Then, the one day I needed to take an unplanned break, it felt like I was failing. I have also felt like crying my way through my workout. I actually haven't posted on these things until today as I am looking for motivation as I work through my last 2 1/2 weeks. :-) It's hard to do keep motivated!
  • martz29
    martz29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have now completed Insanity and it is the best feeling ever to make it through to the end. I am so proud of myself and have had great results. I whined n moaned through month 2 and now I'm missing it already and considering a second round! X
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying it's psychological. I was excited to start, made it through week 1 and hated/loved it at the same time. I'm one of those weirdos who loves being sore lol. Week 2 was a real struggle for me (i ended up going out of town half way through week 2, lost my mojo and took 5 days off), but I started back up where I left off. Once I did my second fit test and saw how much better I'd gotten I was amazed and even more motivated to keep going. I just finished month 1 today and am waiting to take my measurements until tomorrow (mondays are my weigh in days), so idk my total losses for month 1, but as of a week ago I had lost a little over 7lbs, and right at 5.5 inches. I took a before and after, and seeing the results just from the first month was amazing! It's given me the motivation I need to get through month 2..even though I'm petrified to start, I'm excited at the same time. I just want the dang t-shirt! Lol

Just stick it out until your second fit test, and see how far you've come along. You won't be disappointed.