Is this an ok subsitute?

Options
Is plain yogurt an ok subsitute for mayo?

I was going to use that for tuna or chicken salad, but I wasn't sure if it was going to taste funky and I didn't want to buy a tub of plain yogurt and have to throw it out if it wasn't going to work.

Thanks!

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Is plain yogurt an ok subsitute for mayo?

I was going to use that for tuna or chicken salad, but I wasn't sure if it was going to taste funky and I didn't want to buy a tub of plain yogurt and have to throw it out if it wasn't going to work.

Thanks!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    It does change the taste/texture. I use half mayo, half yogurt in chicken salad.

It may be an "acquired taste". . .but to me it's way better than lowfat mayo, which is, well, yucky.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    plain yogurt is also a fab substitute for sour cream :wink:
  • uwhuskygirl
    Options

Oh, so plain yogurt tastes more like sour cream than just a creamy mixer?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Well it's more similar in texture I think to sour cream. If you're into creamy dipping sauces and things for veggies, plain yogurt works great as a replacment for the sour cream in the recipe. I would for sure try it as a mayo replacement, but I've never done that so I can't attest to it's flavour.
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a great recipe for chicken salad, using mayo and yogurt. I also use it with tuna...so good!!
  • uwhuskygirl
    Options

Well it's more similar in texture I think to sour cream. If you're into creamy dipping sauces and things for veggies, plain yogurt works great as a replacment for the sour cream in the recipe. I would for sure try it as a mayo replacement, but I've never done that so I can't attest to it's flavour.

Thanks! I think I'll get a small tub and try it out.