Tight IT band and goal to strengthen core...

Options
I need some help finding ways to loosen my IT bands and what people do to strengthen core. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I ended up having to have surgery to loosen my IT band...in PT they had me do foam roller massages, IT band stretches, and also strengthening the quad to help prevent my IT band from pulling my kneecap over.
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Surgery must have been rough. I have thought of getting the foam rolls for massage. I used to use at gym but for some reason they don't have any more. Thanks for the suggestion. Congratulations are your weight loss success!
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    +1 for foam roller.

Make your own from 2lt coke bottle filled with water. Fairly hard to start with but will give you an idea if it works. Maybe wrap some padding around it.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    I'm not big into yoga, since I prefer the high energy work outs. However, when something hurts I try to incorporate a pose or two into my stretch at the end of my work out.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Yoga-Poses-Your-Band-23478872
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    YOGA YOGA YOGA

just be sure to let the instructor know what you are wanting to work on. but if it's IT band and core, yoga is your go-to.
  • lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Foam roller and the right over left left over right stretch where you bend down and reach for the foot thats behind. For core you should do bike crunches with oblique twist thats my fav, but if you look on youtube they have many core exercise videos. Do planks too
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Foam roller! Just like others have said. Every day roll those puppies out.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

This is excellent!!
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You all are great! Thanks for all the information. I have not done the right over left stretch in a long time and actually forgot about it. Thanks lisaanhorowitz. I will check out IT band stretch link and search online other core exercises. Have a great day everyone!!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I ended up having to have surgery to loosen my IT band...in PT they had me do foam roller massages, IT band stretches, and also strengthening the quad to help prevent my IT band from pulling my kneecap over.

Thats pretty much it. Foam roll and stretch. Some PT exercises designed specifically for that also.
  • W1dude
    W1dude Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry I skipped through the end. but foam rolling helps like crazy! Start with soft foam, and after a while transition to a piece of PVC pipe. I have even used softballs and golf balls.

Good luck!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yup. Foam Roller and the stretching exercise that eaglefish suggested is what helped me.