De-Odorizing Lifting Gloves

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
I have a decent pair with a sweat pad for my brows. These things STINK like socks, but when I wash them the smell only gets partially masked, not removed. Any advice how to get rid of the smell?

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Stop using gloves :'(
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Put them on, wash under the faucet with deodorant soap, just like washing your hands but with gloves on. Use lots of the soap. Rinse, remove, turn them inside out and repeat. Air-dry.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this product is compatible with the fabric of your gloves, and I'm in Australia, but...

Canesten - it's a hygiene laundry rinse which is antibacterial and antifungal.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I just put mine in with my dark wash...
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Stop using gloves :'(

^^
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Stop using gloves :happy:

fixed.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You could try a wetsuit cleaner that's designed for neoprene of all sorts.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Stench is caused by a bacteria. The stench is more noticeable when heat is created in the area, thus causing sweat... Chances are, your gloves smell from lack of hand hygiene... My advice would be to buy a new pair of gloves, was hands before going to train.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Combine baking soda and water in a bucket or bowl. Allow the gloves to soak for a few hours at least, then wash in the regular laundry.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Throw them in the laundry. I wash my cycling gloves and my boxing wrap gloves all the time. Just don't dry them.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Put them on, wash under the faucet with deodorant soap, just like washing your hands but with gloves on. Use lots of the soap. Rinse, remove, turn them inside out and repeat. Air-dry.

I'm going to try this actually, not a bad idea at all.

And to all the glove snobs: :noway:
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I throw them in the wash--cold--germs do not like the cold. sometimes I use woolite; they are also lighter in color, so I use bleach. You could use color safe bleach. Air dry them; don't put them in the dryer. Keep your hands clean before putting them on.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I wash my lifting gloves, or just replace them. But I use something called Odo-Ban on my sons hockey gloves.... that works miracles
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've had some workout shirts and a sports bra get that same way - they smell almost okay fresh out of the wash, but get hot and sweaty and the stink returns. I've found that by soaking the items in white vinegar and then tossing them into the wash, the smell goes away. Give that a try?
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    If they are already that stinky a wash through the machine wont do anything the bacteria and grime might just be too deep. Try using a strong cleaner and some hot water. Sometimes I find myself using a bit of degreaser, like simple green, on all sorts of odd things haha. If you aren't crazy like me though, old fashioned dish soap works wonders. It is made to cut through grease and oils, it is a more aggressive cleaner then laundry soap once diluted by the water.

However, it might just be time to get rid of them and buy a new pair. Keep they new pair clean, wash them regularly.

I hate using gloves myself, but I have to on certain lifts. I have hyperhydrosis (sweaty palm disease) so on lifts where grip is very important like deads, barbell rows, farmers walks I severely limit my abilities by having slippery *kitten* hands. Sucks big time.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bicarbonate of soda.....leave in over night :)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    "I've had some workout shirts and a sports bra get that same way - they smell almost okay fresh out of the wash, but get hot and sweaty and the stink returns. "

:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Lol, this actually works. Wash them good, then put them in a plastic bag, then into the freezer. After make sure that you air dry them well after each use. DON'T put them back in your bag or an enclosed area. Bacteria grows on moist areas.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jess4fun
    jess4fun Posts: 20
    Options
    Try spritzing with vodka and lettering air dry. Vodka's high alcohol content is antibacterial and it doesn' t have an odor. Get the cheapest stuff u can find. Bottom shelf $10 bucks for a gallon, u could never tolerate to drink it type stuff. I've used it on things that can't be washed with good results. A second set of gloves may be needed to let them dry between uses. Vodka can also be used a a quick cleaning solution.