Is anyone doing the HCG diet???

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    This is a terrible idea. Please rethink.

This.

I know 12 people who did this diet. It didn't end well for any of them. I'd type out the whole story but I get the feeling you'll do it anyway. If you do decide you want to know send me a PM.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    NO, but I am going to try the unicorn/fairy dust diet? Any takers...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    There is NO, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA evidence that HCG causes weight loss.

The so-called "HCG diet" has been around for half a century and has KILLED many people. It is a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet). If it is done without the proper oversight by a physician and properly designed supplements and vitamins, it will damage your internal organs and may lead to heart arrhythmias and death. At least 150 dealths were linked to this diet in the 1970s.

HCG products for weight loss are illegal in the United States.

Very low calorie diets are only recommended for treatment of the super-obese while under a physician's observation.

Don't be foolish. This is one of the very few diet trends that could, quite literally, kill you.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    People don't do HCG for healthy weight loss, they do it for quick weight loss.

Just eat 400 cals and don't do shots.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    From the Mayo Clinic @ http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091

Does the HCG diet work — and is it safe?

Answer
    from Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D.

No on both counts. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has advised consumers to steer clear of over-the-counter weight-loss products that contain HCG.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues. HCG is not approved for over-the-counter use, nor has it been proved to work for weight loss. Companies that sell over-the-counter HCG weight-loss products are breaking the law.

So why has there been so much talk about the HCG diet? Perhaps it's because the diet recommends severe calorie restriction — typically just 500 to 800 calories a day. People who follow such a very low calorie diet are likely to lose weight, at least in the short term. However, that level of calorie restriction has risks, such as gallstone formation, irregular heartbeat, and an imbalance of the electrolytes that keep the body's muscles and nerves functioning properly.

If weight loss is your goal, there are safer ways to lose weight. Talk with your doctor or other health care provider about how to make healthy changes that lead to permanent weight loss, such as eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Heh, HCG has been missing for a while now.

Reported anyway, since the 'diet' is pure idiocy.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member

OOO yes! I'm interested! do I get to be Voldemort in the end?
  • ndj1979
    Not currently but I did 2 yrs ago, lost 40 lbs in 21 days and kept it off until recently. My weight only came back because I was eating like crap. You will get sick of eating the same things but its so incredibly worth it. Your hunger will go away by day 3-5. Do Not Stray from the diet. My diet was only 3 weeks long. I did not exercise until day 22 when I went off the diet and maintained my weight which was very easy to do. Don't let anyone discourage you!

so it worked great but you gained all the weight back? Hmmmmmm...

Maybe if you had so severely restricted your calories you would of had long term success...
  • ndj1979

Yes, but only if you snort the fairy dust and drink raspberry ketones...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Please don't do HCG. Just reasonably eat less and exercise more.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    :sick:
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    There's no easy way out. Do the friggin work.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member

no, the unicorn diet does not allow for fast enough weight loss, however, i hear that the fair dust diet works great! ill join!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Not currently but I did 2 yrs ago, lost 40 lbs in 21 days and kept it off until recently. My weight only came back because I was eating like crap. You will get sick of eating the same things but its so incredibly worth it. Your hunger will go away by day 3-5. Do Not Stray from the diet. My diet was only 3 weeks long. I did not exercise until day 22 when I went off the diet and maintained my weight which was very easy to do. Don't let anyone discourage you!

This is horrible advise! Don't do it :noway:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    My husband's uncle did that diet. He was in great shape when he started the diet. He has had 2 heart attacks now and is on permanent disability. This may not be the best diet for you, especially since it looks like you have very little to lose.
  • amysparson
    amysparson Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone for your feedback (except for those who were snarky..I'm an adult, and not stupid). I am NOT going the shots route, just the supplement and restricted diet BUT I am also adding vitamins and protein shakes, and will exercise. I just wanted to know others' experience with it as well as becoming friends with anyone who has done it. I understand that nothing is better than diet and exercise, so I am not going to starve myself. Just looking for a jump start.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Please don't do HCG. Just reasonably eat less and exercise more.
    Too bad so many people want the easy way out/quick fix when it took them a life time to get to their current state. SMH
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    This diet is considered unsafe enough that the MFP mods even lock the threads when it comes up for promoting unsafe weight loss techniques, which violates forum guidelines.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member

Yes, but only if you snort the fairy dust and drink raspberry ketones...

you snort it? now i know it will work, where do i sign up?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    I have friends who've lost significant weight.

And they've since found all that weight and then some in some of the cases...
This discussion has been closed.