Runners help! - Too soon to eat?

Options
Just finished a midday walk/run (c25k) for me its now lunch hour, i had an apple and a few almonds 20 minutes before run, lunch is chicken, brown rice, veggies, sweet potato .... how long is it ideal to wait to have lunch?

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Why are you waiting? I eat as soon as I get back from my run because I am usually pretty hungry, and no one likes me when I am hungry.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Why are you waiting? I eat as soon as I get back from my run because I am usually pretty hungry, and no one likes me when I am hungry.

lol... just wondering if its too heavy of a meal to eat right after a run is all
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Now. Right now is the best time to eat.

Seriously, you should try to get in protein and carbohydrates within 30 minutes of the end of your run, so I think it's time for lunch.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Seriously, you should try to get in protein and carbohydrates within 30 minutes of the end of your run, so I think it's time for lunch.
    This. :) I usually shower first....nothing spoils lunch like B.O. lol
    No, not too heavy, just make sure you eat only enough to feel full. Bag the rest for a snack if need be. And eat slowly.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! everybody! I am eating now, i don't think i could have made myself wait anyway :) This is quite a delicious post workout meal too :)
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    If you ever don't want to eat a meal right away you should drink chocolate milk. Its the first thing I do when I get back from a run. Its full of protein and carbs and tastes good too! I know it may sound weird but a lot of my friends that run do it as well.
  • adyhos
    adyhos Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Exactly this :) Pretty much after any kind of workout you should eat protein & carbs. It's good for your muscles!=be toned!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry, drink when you are thirsty. Your body is telling you what you need. But as usually Carsonruns advice is solid.
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The first thing I eat after a run, typically 5k practice or race (I don't race to win just to get a PB), is 1 1/2 cups of skim milk, 1/2 a scoop of slim fast chocolate royale powder, and 1 scoop of my vanilla pure protein recovery shake I got at walmart. It really hits the spot after burning 800 calories and I feel great the next day... the vanilla shake tastes horrible so I started using my slim fast with it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    not too soon - eat up - enjoy!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When my runs are done, I eat when I want to. I don't eat for at least an hour before I run, or I will puke, but after, I'm usually famished and start stuffing my face.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? I find running dampens my appetite usually and I'm often not hungry for a couple of hours after. If I am hungry I will eat but a lot of times I let it go awhile. Is that a bad thing?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel nauseated, eat whenever you want after running. You need to be careful about what you eat before running, but not really afterwards.

The only times I ever have problems after running has been after 1/2 marathon races. The extraordinarily high exertion of actual races makes me vomit.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Agree. And i skip the shower. Eat first, then shower. (You rmileage may vary)