* Anxiously enters "MyFitnessPal" * Anyone out there?

Options
I quite literally have no idea how to begin this. I'm looking for online friends to talk with about weight loss, exercise and such.

I hear you're more likely to succeed with the help of others. It would be nice to find a fellow weight lose adventurer!

L x

Replies

• PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome!
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :)

it easy set you profile to what your goal are and track everything you eat and exercise and grab some friends for support along the way.

Feel free to add me.
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    HI! Welcome!!
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Best is to find people following a similar strategy. For example I do 5:2 (2 fast days a week, 5 days at TDEE). Most of my friends here are also doing it, so they can relate better to what I do, problems or questions I may have. They are a really nice group too.

Look at other topics and posters, that seem like you can relate too and send them a message. After a while you'll have a good lot together.

Good luck!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of MFP! Feel free to add me! Ive been on my weightloss journey for awhile now and I just recently hit a 50 pound in total loss. It takes awhile to get in the habit of logging everyday, but its WELL worth it in the end!
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me
  • ambuuh
    ambuuh Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm new too! Feel free to add me :)
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    If you have anxiety, then just don't bring up HCG and you'll be fine.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You can't sit here!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I give this in a lot of noobie threads for people that show up here and want to lose weight.:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

so there are a few thoughts.

That said, the forums are a great place for information and to meet folks, but you don't have to have friends on here to lose weight.
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!

You will find a lot of supportive people here and people who will give advice and help you.

You came to the right place.

Feel free to add me.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Don't drink the Kool-Aid and you'll be fine

Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • lisakay0x
    lisakay0x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    YES! VODKA AND TWINKIE DIET!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I quite literally have no idea how to begin this. I'm looking for online friends to talk with about weight loss, exercise and such.

I hear you're more likely to succeed with the help of others. It would be nice to find a fellow weight lose adventurer!

L x
    Hi there, and welcome! I'm gonna warn you right off the bat, that the forums can be a very dangerous place if you have a thin skin. Some people can be gleefully snarky in response to posts you might make. I am one of those people, but I also want people to come here and be successful. So tread with caution, but again, a hearty welcome goes out to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I give this in a lot of noobie threads for people that show up here and want to lose weight.:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

That said, the forums are a great place for information and to meet folks, but you don't have to have friends on here to lose weight.

Bravo well put!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!

You will find a lot of supportive people here and people who will give advice and help you.

You came to the right place.

Send out lot's of friend request (not me of course):angry:

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Start here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069252-nominate-getting-started-posts-for-sticky-status

Mainly see the 'in place of a road map (revised)' thread. :wink: Good luck!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hand over your wallet and your bacon.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

This has to be the best *kitten* I've read in a long, long time. Well done. *starts slow clap*