Rapid Weight or Bloating?

Options
I am new and my biggest issue is that after keeping a good diet habit, I may eat a burger or have a pizza (not a whole one) and BAM 6 pounds is gained. I struggle all week or two to take it off and in a day or so it is back. I don't over eat, though I do love carbs, and know that will be tough habit to break. But swelling in my legs and ankles is well like my feel are attached to legs! So of course makes it hard to exercise. Any suggestions? I have had bloodwork done and there are no health issues apparent. Just stumped!

Thanks for any input. I sure hope I can overcome this here and really get to where I should be.

Replies

• suzie1983
    Options
    have you talked to your doc about the possibility of food intolerance....that could be the problem...(im not a doc or anything but that what my doc did for me and learned a lot)
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water???
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Burger or pizza both say SODIUM OVERLOAD to me.

Mirii
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It's called water weight. If you eat something really fatty, chances are it's LOADED with sodium. Just a healthy sub from Subway is about 1000mg of sodium. Add that onto a regular day of eating and you've probably crossed over the recommended 2400mg intake of sodium. Anything over that is your body holding onto water which is HEAVY. Half our body's weight is water so if we don't drink enough or eat too much sodium, that's evne more water added.

If you're not tracking sodium, start. Go into goals, custom goals and set your sodium to 2400mg. Try to stay within this. Watch it as you log things (log it BEFORE you eat it - it's the best way) and the higher sodium things, cut down on the portions if you MUST have it, or just cut it out completely. Those things add up.

Another thing that could be happening is alcohol. Sodium doesn't usually take as long to get rid of IF you're chugging a lot of water. I'm talking divide your weight in half and drink that number in ounces of water per day. I'm 158 and drink anywhere from 96-120 oz of water per day and I can take off a day's sodium weight (usually 2-3 lbs) in just a couple days by increasing my water intake even more.

Alcohol, on the other hand, will make you gain weight and take you a lot longer to take off because alcohol not only makes you retain water but it causes your body to stop burning fat because it has to burn the alcohol off first. So stay away from that as well because it can undo alllll your hard work.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It is the sodium... the same thing happens to me when I eat junk like that. I have now stopped eating junk,but when I did, i find that if you drink tons of water the extra weight goes away in a day or two.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    like everyone else has said, sodium. sodium is the dieters worst enemy because it makes us feel fat when its really just water. when you are eating sodium rich foods like pizza or burgers drink TONS of water, water flushes out the sodium in your system thats making you feel bloated and putting on water weight. less sodium, more water.
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    drink, drink, drink, drink :)
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    At one point, I had so much swelling in my feet and hands, I thought I must have a terrible ailment, or even congestive heart failure. I know, I know, self diagnosis is pretty stupid.:embarassed:
    Anyway, I finally went to the Doctor, had all the test done, and her diagnosis was..........overweight, and WAY too much salt is my diet.
    I started with a dietitian, she helped me reduce my salt to below 2300mg per day (in fact, she prefers below 2000 if possible). After two plus months here at MFP and following her advise, I no longer have any swelling at all. Also, the erratic fluctuations in my weight have stopped.
    She insists I drink 2 liters of water a day (8 cups), and more if I go over on the salt.
    All this to say, I know how you feel, and let you know what worked for me.

Hope this helps.:drinker:
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Salt is such a hard one to cut down on, but once I started keeping track of it, I find that I have no problem being under 1500 mg per day (what health Canada reccomends). I try to avoid convenience foods, deli meats and dining out. It is something to gradually decrease though, because it would be hard to stick with it if you shock your body too much all at once.
  • lisakay209
    Options
    Ok, more water for sure and I will try tracking the sodium. I don't add salt, and never tried adding up what was actually in the stuff I do eat. I hope it works. It sucks to put on 6 or 8 lbs in a day. Thanks all!!
  • blackbsm
    blackbsm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely start tracking your sodium. Once you do, you will be in shock! I was, I had no idea of the sodium in a lot of things that we consider healthy. For example, green beans, definitely use fresh home cooked or by the frozen that you can steam, because canned green beans although low in calories is very high in sodium. The next time you go to the grocery plan about an extra hour to shop. Take your time and read the nutrition labels. I have found several alternatives to some of my usual favorites that cut way down on sodium. The tiniest things can make a huge difference. Another tip...not all boneless skinless chicken breasts are the same, make sure you read the labels. And WELCOME!!!