Ladies with back problems - Help requested

Options
I'm sure I'm not the only one who gained cup sizes as they gained weight and has developed lower back pain as a consequence. It also doesn't help that I have a desk job. Does anyone have any go-to stretches or exercises to relieve/strengthen the lower back? I'd rather stretch and exercise than take pills (besides ibuprofen).

Replies

• Jenelle64
    Options
    The lower back is part of you core. It will work best if you strengthen the entire core to give you stability and strength in your back. You need to work on the abdomen muscles as well. I for one don't like crunches or sit ups but I do planks and leg raises for alternatives to the ab exercises I don’t like. Back extensions will help strengthen the lower back but don't do them if you have any discomfort.

When I was in physical therapy, there were some stretches they had me do that made my back fill better. 1 nice stretch is to lay on your back flat on the floor and bring one knee to your chest while the other leg is straight and then switch legs. While your on the floor extend both legs, relax and push you lower back to the floor and hold for a few seconds then release. Doing a few set of 10 will help strengthen the lower back as well.

Good Luck. My back issues lessoned as I strengthen my core.
  • SLouWE
    SLouWE Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks, Jenelle! I'll work on core strengthening.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If some of your back pain is related to your bust weight, get a new bra. I'm serious, check into it!

Good support for the sweater puppies takes a lot of the stress off your back and neck and helps redistribute the weight. Added benefit: they'll look wonderful! Wide shoulder straps, extra boning, and support gussets help a lot.

Go to a place like Lane Bryant or Macy's and ask to be fitted for a bra. good luck and hope this helps!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have this DVD and it works wonders on me: http://www.amazon.com/Viniyoga-Therapy-Back-Sacrum-Kraftsow/dp/B000U0C9UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377026575&sr=8-1&keywords=low+back+yoga

It stretches and strengthens. I always feel better after doing it and when I'm doing it regularly my back feels so much better! You'd think I'd keep at it. :P