Weight gain or water weight?

Options
On Saturday I was 2 pounds lighter than on Sunday. What happened during that day? IHops cinn a stack happened. Even though I stayed under my TDEE, I still went over on sodium. Thinking that it was just water weight, I didn't worry about it, but now it's Tuesday and I've been the exact same weight since Sunday. After 3 days could it still be water or is it fat gain?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    There's a bazillion threads already on that subject.

Weight yourself every 1-2 weeks. A couple of days could be anything (Water retention, periods, PMS, poop, etc)
  • AlexB422
    AlexB422 Posts: 111
    Options
    Bump.
    I'm on my phone and its not letting me search threads.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer. Water.

I had a slice of Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake two weekends ago and ate no more than 2800 cals (that's my maintenance) and gained 3lbs. Took 3 days to get back to normal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    either water or you ate 7,000 cals more than you burned, so that would have had to be in the area of 9,000 cals on Saturday.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    I'm on my phone and its not letting me search threads.

Well then you already have the answer in my response :flowerforyou:
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I partied a little harder than usual for my birthday last week,... a day at disney land (turkey leg and Pinapple Dole whip and all) and two nights of beers and mixed drinks = 3 pounds!!! i was so irritated... as ive been working my tail off and sticking to my deficit, and i was losing consistantly every week... its the third day back on track and ive alreayd taken 2 of the 3 gained lbs off... its all in how much you eat and drink lol.. PLUS being women, we can fluxtuate between 2-5 lbs in a day in water weight!
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you must weigh, only weigh on the weekends... first thing in the morning on a saturday works for me... after using the restroom, but BEFORE drinking or eating anything... the BEST day of the month is the day after your last menstrual cycle.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There's a bazillion threads already on that subject.

Weight yourself every 1-2 weeks. A couple of days could be anything (Water retention, periods, PMS, poop, etc)

my vote is Poop.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the infrequent weigh-ins camp. Empirical data is a good thing, as long as you know how to interpret it. Be sure you're consistent with when you do your weigh-ins, but if you want to see the fluctuations, and are willing to take the time to understand them, they can be very useful.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least every day to figure out what makes me gain water weight. I only record losses though. I went camping a couple weeks ago (with other people cooking grrrrrr) and literally gained 10lbs of water weight in a one night sleep over at Mt St Helens. It took me nearly a week and a half to get rid of it. Water weight is a ***** lol