Zucchini Brownies with Cocoa Frosting

Options
A MFP friend requested this recipe. I thought it would be just as easy to share with everyone. This isn't a real sweet brownie/cake but it's a nice way to eat Zucchini and you can double the frosting if you've got the cals left.

Zucchini Brownies

6 oz Vanilla or Plain low fat Yogurt
1 C Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
2 C Flour (I use Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
1/2 C Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt (this can be cut to 1/2)
2 C Shredded Zucchini
1/2 C Walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 glass pan.
In a large bowl mix yogurt, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; Stir into sugar mixture. Fold in Zucchini (and opt. Walnuts). Spread evenly into a prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until brownies spring back when gently touched.

Cocoa Frosting
2 T Butter
1/4 C Sugar
1/4 C Milk (I use Skim)
1/4 C Cocoa
Mix first 3 together in sauce pan, after butter has melted whisk in cocoa and bring to boil. Pour and spread over brownies/cake.

Original Recipe was 1/2 C Oil vs. 6 oz Yogurt and 1 1/2 C sugar vs. 1 C Sugar.
I made these last night and we all enjoyed them. My husband took one to work and the kids (ages 10, 12 and 13) had one after lunch today. Yes, they are good enough that my kids enjoy and ask for them.

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Did you do a calorie count on them yet? I recently did a Chocolate Zucchini Cake & the calories were crazy at 248 for one piece!

Sounds yummy...can't wait to try them!
  • Chrissun
    Options
    If you cut these into just 12 pieces the nutrition is:
    202 Calories
    42 Carbs
    3 Fat
    4 Protein

Those are the numbers MFP gave me when I put all the ingredients in my Recipe.
    These are meant to be Brownies, you can cut them into 24 pieces and cut all those # in half.

(To make this more like a cake: add 1 Egg.)
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Sounds so good! *drool*
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am the one that asked! Yay! Thank you!

I am confused - is the formatting off? Can't see frosting but some items are double posted at different measurements?
  • Chrissun
    Options

I am confused - is the formatting off? Can't see frosting but some items are double posted at different measurements?

Thanks for noticing! Yes, it is off. I posted the frosting info next to the brownie info, the 2 were pushed together.
    2 T Butter
    1/4 C Sugar
    1/4 C Milk
    1/4 C Cocoa
    The above are the frosting ingredients.

I fixed it in the original post...it should be a lot easier now.
  • sibyllewalker
    sibyllewalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you it sounds very yummy.