Protein, motivation, calories

Options
Hi!! I'll try to keep this short.

1) I'm struggling with protein intake. I typically don't like to eat meat but I told myself I'd really try to incorporate chicken because I really want the protein. I typically like a vegetable based diet. I don't care for soy products. I don't want tofu or other weird fake meat/protein. I don't eat things like steak, ham, sausage, ribs, etc... How can I get a really good source of protein on days I don't eat chicken? Today I was preparing the chicken for dinner and I was just grossed out so much that my tummy hurt. In the end, it tasted okay. I feel like I need the protein to aid in my weight loss... right? Thoughts?

2) Is it normal to be 2 weeks into it and already have a "bad day" as far as motivation is concerned? Shouldn't I be super pumped still? lol Well I went to the gym tonight and I felt better for working out. But all day today... I didn't even make "breakfast' until 11:30 a.m. (breakfast is hard for me to eat-- I just am never hungry in the morning so I'm literally forcing myself to eat.) But even today, I didn't eat-- I made the Mean Green juice. I loved it... Then I didn't want to eat lunch. I don't know what was wrong with me. I just didn't want to put in the effort to eat meals or snacks today. What keeps your eyes on the prize??

3) I'm finding that I'm typically under my calorie goal by 100-300 cals per day. Should I be concerned? My goal is 1320. I feel guilty if I eat anything high calorie... I did much better last week than I am so far this week. =\ It shouldn't already be a struggle, should it? (Sigh.) I'm not giving up. I'm not giving up.

Any thoughts on any of it? Sorry so many questions....

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    A quick google search brought up this list...

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

There are the normal tofu, tempeh, seitan/meat subs, but other things too.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh duh! I forgot that quinoa is a great source of protein-- better than some typical sources. :) Thanks for the reminder! I could have google'd too... just thought I'd put it all out there at once.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Oh duh! I forgot that quinoa is a great source of protein-- better than some typical sources. :) Thanks for the reminder! I could have google'd too... just thought I'd put it all out there at once.

A serving of quinoa has about 220 calories and about 8 grams of protein. If you're trying to get protein and lose weight, chicken, with around 40 grams of protein for about the same number of calories, would be a better choice.

Canned tuna or precooked shrimp require no cooking. Protein powders are another option. I like Greek yogurt for a high protein breakfast.
  • sjberrier
    Options
    A serving of quinoa has about 220 calories and about 8 grams of protein. If you're trying to get protein and lose weight, chicken, with around 40 grams of protein for about the same number of calories, would be a better choice.

Yes, thank you. I just don't want to eat chicken everyday. :) I'll have to incorporate more beans. I eat raw/unsalted nuts everyday when I snack. Maybe if I didn't have to cook the chicken it would be easier. lol
  • MetamorphicButterfly
    Options
    do u like turkey ? it's a great alternative to chicken
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Cooking meat isn't my favorite thing either. You can get boneless chicken, fish fillets, and pre-formed burgers and handle them with tongs.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    What if you bought pre-cooked chicken? I get mine at Trader Joe's but I am pretty sure you can get Perdue at any grocery store. Check fresh and freezer sections. Watch for crazy sodium though.

If that's not an option, what if you cooked a bunch at once, then ate it for several days. You can even freeze it cooked, just make sure it is wrapped well.

Hope this helps
  • sjberrier
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. :) I appreciate it.

I do eat white turkey from time to time. I don't eat lunch meat because I feel like it's overly processed (just like the fast food I was eating a couple weeks ago... I catch my own contradictions). Ground turkey.... seems... strange? I like turkey at Thanksgiving... maybe I should freeze some to use throughout the year. That might be a good idea. The past 2 years I didn't eat any because of my--- feelings towards raising that many turkeys just for one day of over indulgence by people. When I'd say I was a vegetarian I was really a "carbitarian" and hooked on junk. I'm realizing that now. I'll try to freeze some turkey this year. :) To tell you the truth, I like the flavor of turkey over chicken.

And today I did cook a bunch of chicken breast fillets, as you suggested, so I can use it throughout the week. I wore gloves and used tongs. I'll certainly look for some pre-cooked selections but I do worry about sodium content. We finally got a Trader Joe (I'm from California and I love TJ but moved to Utah where there wasn't one previously. We have Whole Foods which is similar- it's just a drive away-- about 45 min.)

I need to experiment with fish-- I've only tried it once-- my family made some fresh tilapia tacos. They were pretty good. Usually when I see fish in the markets, they don't turn me off as much as chicken with the weird fatty pieces and veins... Maybe I'll try some out this weekend. Any suggestions on something that is very mild in flavor other than tilapia?? Or your fave way to cook it?
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    How about eggs? Egg salad, omelettes, etc. You could use extra egg whites for less fat.
  • herblackwings39
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. :) I appreciate it.

I do eat white turkey from time to time. I don't eat lunch meat because I feel like it's overly processed (just like the fast food I was eating a couple weeks ago... I catch my own contradictions). Ground turkey.... seems... strange? I like turkey at Thanksgiving... maybe I should freeze some to use throughout the year. That might be a good idea. The past 2 years I didn't eat any because of my--- feelings towards raising that many turkeys just for one day of over indulgence by people. When I'd say I was a vegetarian I was really a "carbitarian" and hooked on junk. I'm realizing that now. I'll try to freeze some turkey this year. :) To tell you the truth, I like the flavor of turkey over chicken.

And today I did cook a bunch of chicken breast fillets, as you suggested, so I can use it throughout the week. I wore gloves and used tongs. I'll certainly look for some pre-cooked selections but I do worry about sodium content. We finally got a Trader Joe (I'm from California and I love TJ but moved to Utah where there wasn't one previously. We have Whole Foods which is similar- it's just a drive away-- about 45 min.)

I need to experiment with fish-- I've only tried it once-- my family made some fresh tilapia tacos. They were pretty good. Usually when I see fish in the markets, they don't turn me off as much as chicken with the weird fatty pieces and veins... Maybe I'll try some out this weekend. Any suggestions on something that is very mild in flavor other than tilapia?? Or your fave way to cook it?

Do you have a slow cooker? You can buy a turkey breast and toss it in, let it cook, cool, portion, and eat. It also freezes well.
  • sjberrier
    Options
    This site needs a "like" button. :) Or something equivalent. Thank you!! I eat eggs occasionally but could definitely be more creative in using them more often.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me--- making some new meal plans for next week. :) The same ol' crap gets old, ya know?

Thanks again everyone!! Still need to work on keeping myself focused and pumped... I don't want to fail with this.
  • sjberrier
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? You can buy a turkey breast and toss it in, let it cook, cool, portion, and eat. It also freezes well.

I do. Ok. So I feel a little dumb for the questions... When you say "buy a turkey breast"-- is it in the meat dept, usually, by the ground turkey?? I don't recall just seeing turkey breasts.... Kinda sounds good, though. :) Thank you. I love what the slow cooker does to meat and you don't have to do much with it. Thank you!!
  • herblackwings39
    Options

I do. Ok. So I feel a little dumb for the questions... When you say "buy a turkey breast"-- is it in the meat dept, usually, by the ground turkey?? I don't recall just seeing turkey breasts.... Kinda sounds good, though. :) Thank you. I love what the slow cooker does to meat and you don't have to do much with it. Thank you!!

Sometimes you can get turkey breast cutlets or fillets in the meat dept. by the ground turkey or you can buy a whole frozen breast in the freezer section. I've seen them fresh, but usually only around Thanksgiving/Christmas. It will need to thaw in a pan in the fridge then just unwrap it and set it to cook. I like to add liquid smoke to the cooker so it's a bit like a smoked turkey.
  • sjberrier
    Options
    Nice! Thank you, Herblackwings. :) I'll check it out for sure.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Someone already told you, eggs are an excellent source of protein, so is cottage cheese (and you don't have to cook it). Quinoa tastes good, but I really wouldn't consider it a protein source. If you are really struggling to get your quota, buy a protein powder, some taste so damn good that can also satisfie your sweet tooth.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Quinoa is a complete protein, and amaranth nearly so. You
    might try "Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes" -- it's a hot cereal.
    Dairy products contain complete protein -- Greek yogurt contains
    lots of it. You might try incorporating edamame beans (which
    contain complete protein) into your diet. Yes, edamame beans
    are immature soybeans, but they taste different -- you might
    like them.
  • sjberrier
    Options
    Quinoa is a complete protein, and amaranth nearly so. You
    might try "Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes" -- it's a hot cereal.
    Dairy products contain complete protein -- Greek yogurt contains
    lots of it. You might try incorporating edamame beans (which
    contain complete protein) into your diet. Yes, edamame beans
    are immature soybeans, but they taste different -- you might
    like them.

Thank you, I actually like edamame... just not what they do with it to make other soy products. :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I struggle with protein and really despise preparing raw meat too....lol

- protein shakes and bars a good grab and go snack
    - cottage cheese
    - smoked salmon is great if you like it
    - hard boil eggs and keep them in the fridge for salads, snacks, egg salad, etc.
    - canned tuna / salmon
    - fish, pre-cooked shrimp, seafood

I have one of our favorite dishes in the slow cooker as I type this and it is so easy!!

- 1 pkg ground turkey (cooked)
    - 1 can low sodium crushed tomatoes
    - 1 can low sod. kernel corn
    - 1 can black beans
    - 1 pkg low sod. taco seasoning

Throw it all in the slow cooker, cook on low for the day and VOILA!! Turkey taco soup! Filling, low calorie and so delicious!!

It's so low cal that we have few tostido chips on the side and a bit of shredded cheese :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    3) I'm finding that I'm typically under my calorie goal by 100-300 cals per day. Should I be concerned? My goal is 1320. I feel guilty if I eat anything high calorie... I did much better last week than I am so far this week. =\ It shouldn't already be a struggle, should it? (Sigh.) I'm not giving up. I'm not giving up.

With a calorie goal of only 1320 I'd try really hard to meet it. That's already pretty low - possibly too low. Eating under it is definitely way too low. Try to get within +/- 50-100. Don't feel guilty about eating high calorie items, that's just silly. Some of the best foods out there are very calorie dense. All that matters is your overall daily/weekly/monthly intake, not the calorie composition of any one single item. Restricting yourself to the extreme is the #1 way to lose motivation and to fail - which you already mention struggling with 2 weeks in. It's gonna take months and years to get into shape, you gotta be prepared for the long haul. Which means, moderate, long-term sustainable deficit. Not extreme restriction resulting in failure and yo-yo dieting.
  • sjberrier
    Options
    With a calorie goal of only 1320 I'd try really hard to meet it. That's already pretty low - possibly too low. Eating under it is definitely way too low. Try to get within +/- 50-100. Don't feel guilty about eating high calorie items, that's just silly. Some of the best foods out there are very calorie dense. All that matters is your overall daily/weekly/monthly intake, not the calorie composition of any one single item. Restricting yourself to the extreme is the #1 way to lose motivation and to fail - which you already mention struggling with 2 weeks in. It's gonna take months and years to get into shape, you gotta be prepared for the long haul. Which means, moderate, long-term sustainable deficit. Not extreme restriction resulting in failure and yo-yo dieting.

You're right. Thank you. Today I calculated my BMR and my TDEE which I hadn't done before. So I think I'll come up with a different goal based on those numbers. When it comes to what I said about calories-- I'll eat it if it's something healthy like nuts or avocado without feeling guilty. I just need to compile whole meals and not be worried about it so much. I'd say I'm more of a snacker--- but that's just because it seems easier while losing weight. Like- snack on carrots. Snack on yogurt. Snack on nuts. That's typically what I do and then I try to make a good dinner. Anyway, thank you for your input. You're right about not going to extremes- it's not my intention. So I'll rework some things. :)

And thank you Nellyett-- those are great suggestions. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles in this area. :)