New P.R.! Share yours.

Options
stevepax
stevepax Posts: 86 Member
I'm not a runner. Absolutely not a runner. Running is not what I do for exercise, ever. I usually do the elliptical, or weights. But today, I thought I'd run.

I ran 2.5 miles. OK, it was a jog (5 mph - 12 minute mile), and it was on the treadmill, but I've never in my entire life run that far, or even dreamed I could run that far.

Here's a spot to toot your own horn - share your personal best at something!

Replies

• stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Somebody please congratulate me? Please? :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! I'm definitely not a runner, but I remember the day I "ran" 3 miles without stopping. Of course, I was even slower than you (15 minute miles), but hell, I did it without walking!
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'll congratulate you :) Way to go!!! I know exactly how you feel. I still couldn't run that far the whole time but I have been walking/jogging around my neighborhood and I walk two blocks and jog a block and sometimes two if I can push through. I figure I will eventually be able to make the 2.5 miles I have been doing by jogging the whole time but not quite there. Awesome job though keep it up!!!
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I have been running for three years, and it took almost two to break through and "feel" like a runner. I do the Beach to Beacon 10K each summer, and this year got a PR for time, but even more important was that it felt great! And I am someone who complains about every first mile every time I run.

2.5 miles is great.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Over the course of this summer I've knocked 10 minutes off my 5k time!

Granted, it was from horrible to mediocre, but still. :drinker:
  • haunstar
    haunstar Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! That is Awesome!!! I can't run--unless I am being chased! But I recently started lifting weights, and am proud of that:)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Great work! Running is my kryptonite.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Good job! I also am not a runner - at least I never thought I could be! I got the Zombie Run! app and guess what?! I can run!

I ran 5x3min with a 1 min walk in between - took 30 minutes!! I was so excited!

The impossible is possible after all!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...that is awesome...I have been working up the courage to attempt running for the first time...not quite there yet but working at it.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. Absolutely not a runner.

Bull. You ARE a runner. Did you just run 2.5 miles?? Yeah? Then you're a runner. Nice job man!!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great job!!
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I just started jogging a few months ago. I have have never ran before, so when I got to 5 mph on the treadmill, I was excited and started sharing with my friends on face book. Now I can run almost 6 mph. I would have never thought this possible. How I did it was a little at a time. I tried every day to beat my previous time atleast by a tenth. I started jogging 4.5, then built up to 4.7 and I would keep that steady pace for over 30 minutes. Every so many minutes I would jump it up to 5, then 5.5 mph. Usually I start off walking for the first two minutes then increase the speed, but today I started at 5 mph then built my speed up to 6 mph.

Keep up the good work.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Good going man, good going.

I use my treadmill daily. At the moment, I set 30 minutes on the timer, use a 1% incline, and I walk at 4.5mph for 2 minutes, then 5mph for 1 minute, and continue that cycle for the half hour. It's a really good way to raise, and keep raised your heart rate.

I'm going to get a rowing machine next, so I can alternate between the treadmill, punch bag and rowing machine.

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Way to go. Keep at it and it will improve a lot. I started with 12 minutes for 2 miles and dropped to 8 min miles with work. I hate running.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wow, almost a 5k :) nice job!!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    That's great! And a 12 minute pace is nothing to sneeze at over 2.5 miles - when you're trying to add distance, you need a sustainable pace. Hitting a new distance is really exciting. Good for you!

As for a PR of mine, my 1/2 marathon PR is 2:12 (and some seconds). I'm looking to set a new time PR in November.

I encourage you to try some runs off the treadmill if you can - a lot more fun, and more interesting. You can pre-map your distance on sites like mapmyrun.com so that you know you're getting the distance you want. Good luck!
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! You absolutely ARE a RUNNER now. :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bad News: You ran 2.5m miles continuously.... you're a runner. Oh, sure, you SAY you're not a runner. But you're going to start looking up 5k races on the internet. Curiosity is going to win out. Or, someone is going to ask you to sign up so that you can "raise money" for something.

You're going to start looking at shoe sites online at night after your wife goes to bed. You'll wake up one morning and there's going to be a stick of bodyglide on your bathroom counter. "How did that get there? Why is it next to my nipple band-aids? WHY DO I HAVE NIPPLE BAND AIDS? I'm only running 20 miles a week, I do NOT have a problem."

Soon, you'll wake up at the finish line of your first sub-2-hour half marathon, covered in free cookies, bananas, and powerade, and wonder what's become of your life.

You're not a runner. Sure.
  • marcypantz1
    marcypantz1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Keep at it, everyone has to start somewhere. When I started running I could barely trot ( and I mean that generously) out a half a mile without stopping to walk. I'm now training for my first half marathon. Start slow, set goals, and if you really want to take your running somewhere follow a training program - there are a lot of couch to 5k and 10k training programs and apps and it actually encourages you to run more if you know exactly what your next workout is.
    Hope that helps!

30174266.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!